ippy just said ropeways suck in another thread.

I agree, I really don't like them. The timing, the waiting, the scrunching in together with other smelly people. Just hassle.

Gondolas are a bit bitter.

But give me a fast quad lift with a hood any day.

:party:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My toppest tip for Zao without car is to get the pair lift by the Ropeway at base and then get up the mountain on the ski lifts. Better still, with car, park at Kurohime and get the superdooper fast

Not so keen myself.

I like keeping my skis on.

But, if they take you to places other lifts don't....

Talking about ropeways, I always really enjoy watching the Muikamachi Hakkaisan gondola because it races up that mountain at ridiculous speed.

It's as if it's in >> mode.

I always have a chuckle watching it.

ETA: Theyre really nippy! :)

Easy one of the worst though is the bottom of yuzawa kogen to the top, then across to gala. They both leave on the hour, twenty past and 20 to. So you get up one, track across the hill to the other station, then wait another 15 minutes. After just missing the damn thing when i arrived at the base of yuzawa kogen, and being somewhat pushed for time if i wanted to actually ride ishiuchi as well, it was... frust... maddening!

Actually i take it back, the worst, the absolute worst and the first of only two hissy fits ive ever spat whilst snowboarding (the second one on day 2 this season in hakuba), has to be ZAO.

I paid my fekkin money, i bought your stupid ticket. I rode down your stupid hills. I now would like to make use of your ropeway which my ticket covers to ride back up the hill to use the facilities im paying for... oh whats this? I have to leave the station, head outside to some ****ing van, get a ticket, requeue and then wait for an HOUR after already spending almost twenty minutes sat at the station waiting in a queue which i thought was for the damn ropeway but didnt actually have the aforementioned ticket for!

Once you know about these places, it softens the blow, but well, you know.

My toppest tip for Zao without car is to get the pair lift by the Ropeway at base and then get up the mountain on the ski lifts.

Better still, with car, park at Kurohime and get the superdooper fast quads there. They really whizz.

The Gondola at Tenjin has to be worst. I think it's the same as the top Zao gondola, but 1/100th the speed.

If you plan to ski on Tuesday, best to turn up and start your gondola journey on Monday lunchtime. Take some entertainment to pass the time.

• Like 1

My toppest tip for Zao without car is to get the pair lift by the Ropeway at base and then get up the mountain on the ski lifts.

Better still, with car, park at Kurohime and get the superdooper fast quads there. They really whizz.

Yeah, if you're there to board or ski, just pretend the lower Zao Ropeway doesn't even exist. When I went, there were even employees out around the base station with megaphones advising skiers and boarders to take the chairlifts up instead to save time.

Not a fan of gondolas or ropeways myself. Especially if they are old and sketchy looking like the one at happo. Biwako Valley has a big fancy ropeway but its not included in the lift ticket so it makes a day there well overpriced in my opinion.

Furano zone's was pretty good. Take it up to the top, hammer down the runs then catch the next one 4 mins later.

The one's at Yakebitai are also decent. A little slower, but not as slow as the triple that goes up the side of Giant.

In someways I prefer them. 2 previous knee injuries (1 each knee) mean that leaving one strapped in puts a heap of strain on them and by the end of the day, they really hurt.

Here's a pic of the gondola at Higashitateyama or whatever it's called in Shiga Kogen a few years back

egg.jpg

ha ha - Just like I remember it - can you do it again with my ski's poking through both side of the walls - it is sooo tiny

• 5 weeks later...