• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My photos from today. We went to Niseko village, Annapuri gate 1, Gate 7, then back to Hirafu.   Andreas at Gate 9 hirafu   Alex, gate 9 hirafu   Alex gate 7 Annapuri   Andreas gate 7

There are regal gates and cattle grids but it snows so much in Niseko that they are covered for much of the season.

You of all people know the answer to that already pie but assuming there may well be those out there who are only just becoming aware of the snowtastic phenomena that is Niseko the answer is of course

Rusutsu

We had too much fun skiing the knee deep pow today at Rusutsu to take any photos.

But the kids had fun on the merry go round waiting for the bus to go home.

kokodoko_139.jpg

kokodoko_138.jpg

I was arguing with him about the quality settings and frame rate.

I was so wrong..

We got about 15-20cms last night. I skied Swinging Monkey, Miharashi and Annapuri.

nice pow all day long..

Mick Rich, I looked out for you over the hill but alas did not bump into you. :)

Update

NON-FATAL AVALANCHE ON MT. YOTEI

Details are not complete but this is what I've been told.

Two seasonal workers from Australia were caught in an avalanche on Mt Yotei yesterday whilst descending from close to the summit ridge line.

A large gully slid and caught one skier whilst a second avalanche was triggered and caught the other skier.

The skier caught in the secondary avalanche suffered no injuries.

However the skier caught in the primary avalanche was carried approx 750 m and came to a stop buried up to the shoulder.

He was rescued by his party who were aided by a Japanese firefighter out on the volcano.

He was airlifted off Mt Yotei by helicopter and treated in hospital for two broken femurs and a compound fracture of the tibia.

The operation last night was a success and the skier is doing well.

"Lucky boys" insurance isn't going to get him home...

http://www.mycause.com.au/page/56191

Some of you, like me, may want to chip in to help this family get their son home.

However the bigger message here for the community (SJ + Niseko + Seasonal Workers Community that is) is to check your insurance policy.

If you don't have $100,000 AUD (9.7million Yen) that you can access in pretty short order then you can not NOT afford to have appropriate insurance.

It has raised a few questions for me regarding seasonal work and insurance as it will effect my own bearcub this next season - and if he got the opportunity to ski Yotei I know he wouldn't hesitate. If the worst happened, I'd want him home.

On the flip side, I've recently heard a story of a women who danced with a tree off piste in Niseko resulting in a life threatening head injury and a few weeks in Sapporo Hospital - their insurance was comprehensive and they have been covered for everything so far, currently transport home is being organised.

Check your insurance!

Update

NON-FATAL AVALANCHE ON MT. YOTEI

Details are not complete but this is what I've been told.

Two seasonal workers from Australia were caught in an avalanche on Mt Yotei yesterday whilst descending from close to the summit ridge line.

A large gully slid and caught one skier whilst a second avalanche was triggered and caught the other skier.

The skier caught in the secondary avalanche suffered no injuries.

However the skier caught in the primary avalanche was carried approx 750 m and came to a stop buried up to the shoulder.

He was rescued by his party who were aided by a Japanese firefighter out on the volcano.

He was airlifted off Mt Yotei by helicopter and treated in hospital for two broken femurs and a compound fracture of the tibia.

The operation last night was a success and the skier is doing well.

"Lucky boys" insurance isn't going to get him home...

http://www.mycause.com.au/page/56191

Some of you, like me, may want to chip in to help this family get their son home.

However the bigger message here for the community (SJ + Niseko + Seasonal Workers Community that is) is to check your insurance policy.

If you don't have $100,000 AUD (9.7million Yen) that you can access in pretty short order then you can not NOT afford to have appropriate insurance.

It has raised a few questions for me regarding seasonal work and insurance as it will effect my own bearcub this next season - and if he got the opportunity to ski Yotei I know he wouldn't hesitate. If the worst happened, I'd want him home.

On the flip side, I've recently heard a story of a women who danced with a tree off piste in Niseko resulting in a life threatening head injury and a few weeks in Sapporo Hospital - their insurance was comprehensive and they have been covered for everything so far, currently transport home is being organised.

Check your insurance!

I am surprised he had to pay 100k, that sounds a bit over the top. Nevertheless this is a very good thing to point out. I am yet to find an insurance in Japan that truly covers backcountry activities. Some of them actually sell themselves as such but once you read the fine print then you realize that they barely cover anything. I have also searched for overseas cies to cover in Japan but to no avail as I reside here. On the other hand for travelers to Japan from overseas then your insurance may cover you. Defo check the fine print or try to find out from ppl who've had to actually use them in the past. Insurance always sounds great until you actually have to use it...