I must have zoomed past you mike ;)

I did one lap through gate 7 but spent most of my time going over the ridge on the other side.

It was icy up top then got good half way down..

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My photos from today. We went to Niseko village, Annapuri gate 1, Gate 7, then back to Hirafu.   Andreas at Gate 9 hirafu   Alex, gate 9 hirafu   Alex gate 7 Annapuri   Andreas gate 7

There are regal gates and cattle grids but it snows so much in Niseko that they are covered for much of the season.

You of all people know the answer to that already pie but assuming there may well be those out there who are only just becoming aware of the snowtastic phenomena that is Niseko the answer is of course

rough guess: 50%.

I guess you may have SE Asians included in there by mistake. If it gets that bad, the Japanese can just jump in their cars and drive off to Rusutsu.

Why would they do that Niseko is heaps better

What kinda queuing is that? it's just one flight of stairs up to the gondola.

yes, that is correct. not sure what sort of queuing one would call that.

rough guess: 50%.

I guess you may have SE Asians included in there by mistake. If it gets that bad, the Japanese can just jump in their cars and drive off to Rusutsu.

Niseko is the best in the world.

Not sure how accurate this information is but heard there was an avalanche on Mt Yotei today.

An unguided group got avalanched as they were ascending.

No fatalities.

One member of the group sustained a broken femur and is in hospital.

Please add to / correct.

Not surprised at all by that. Avalanche risk is obviously very high with the bulk amount of snow we got yesterday all sitting on top of the ice layer. Pretty poor planning there fellas, lucky a broken bone is the worst of it.

Update

NON-FATAL AVALANCHE ON MT. YOTEI

Details are not complete but this is what I've been told.

Two seasonal workers from Australia were caught in an avalanche on Mt Yotei yesterday whilst descending from close to the summit ridge line.

A large gully slid and caught one skier whilst a second avalanche was triggered and caught the other skier.

The skier caught in the secondary avalanche suffered no injuries.

However the skier caught in the primary avalanche was carried approx 750 m and came to a stop buried up to the shoulder.

He was rescued by his party who were aided by a Japanese firefighter out on the volcano.

He was airlifted off Mt Yotei by helicopter and treated in hospital for two broken femurs and a compound fracture of the tibia.

The operation last night was a success and the skier is doing well.

Very lucky, but wow - two broken femurs. That's traction right there. <yikes>

And a compound tibial fracture - nasty! Pins and screws and external fixation... I'd be surprised with a compound Tibia break if the Fibula didn't also go. Long recovery.

But he is still very lucky.

Season work over for that fellow.

Update

NON-FATAL AVALANCHE ON MT. YOTEI

Details are not complete but this is what I've been told.

Two seasonal workers from Australia were caught in an avalanche on Mt Yotei yesterday whilst descending from close to the summit ridge line.

A large gully slid and caught one skier whilst a second avalanche was triggered and caught the other skier.

The skier caught in the secondary avalanche suffered no injuries.

However the skier caught in the primary avalanche was carried approx 750 m and came to a stop buried up to the shoulder.

He was rescued by his party who were aided by a Japanese firefighter out on the volcano.

He was airlifted off Mt Yotei by helicopter and treated in hospital for two broken femurs and a compound fracture of the tibia.

The operation last night was a success and the skier is doing well.

Wow, sounds like he is lucky to be alive!!! Glad to hear there aren't two bodies going home in coffins this time.