• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My photos from today. We went to Niseko village, Annapuri gate 1, Gate 7, then back to Hirafu.   Andreas at Gate 9 hirafu   Alex, gate 9 hirafu   Alex gate 7 Annapuri   Andreas gate 7

There are regal gates and cattle grids but it snows so much in Niseko that they are covered for much of the season.

You of all people know the answer to that already pie but assuming there may well be those out there who are only just becoming aware of the snowtastic phenomena that is Niseko the answer is of course

In my opinion there's a big disconnect in the recreational skier / snowboarder's mind as to what is and isn't 'safe' in the Niseko Resort Area.

My take on things is many assume that if the gates are open then everything is OK.

Many are oblivious to the dangers beyond the ropes and through the gates.

• Like 1

I think the vast majority respect the rules but there are still far too many who do not... People just go out and hit the mountain, exit open gates because they are open with not a thought as to checking all the ample information available. The problem as I see it is that the conditions are so changeable people think it will always be good out and the assessment is to conservative. However with the light dry snow that falls the snow pack consolidates quite quickly in this area but some people just cannot get it through their thick skulls that one day the gates are closed due to extreme avi risk then next day they are all open with a medium or low risk... the fools think that is never as bad as stated I believe.

As far a cracks go if they are mentioned in reports; if you ask the patrollers at gates they will ALWAYS give you a good location of where they are and they will print up a location map and display it with the Avi Report near the open gates. I love having a quick chat to the patroller at Gate 3/4 and ask him about where I intend to go for the day first time out or again if conditions are changing, drop in points into the back bowl etc... they have always been very helpful and seem very thankful you take advantage of their presence to do so. That has been my experience anyway.

In my opinion there's a big disconnect in the recreational skier / snowboarder's mind as to what is and isn't 'safe' in the Niseko Resort Area.

My take on things is many assume that if the gates are open then everything is OK.

Sorry Mike was typing while you posted.... just what I was trying to say but far more eloquently.

what the best package for niseko at 1 febuary?

i stay at hilton niseko for 2 night , but dont have yet the return bus ticket and lift tickets.

which one the best offer? where to get?

many thanks

Salamat Pagi 8rei.

Which bus tickets do you need? If its from Chitose airport to Niseko Village just organise it when you land - its very easy. As for a lift ticket, I just buy an all mountain pass each morning although maybe the Hilton can organise a discount?

Thanks

Pete

wow..terima kasih pete..

so i dont need to book in advance?

i will go from sapporo station to niseko.. are there many bus ticket counter over there?

i saw the white liner web.. there is a special offer..4500 for return bus + ski lift. but i think it must be use at same day??

because for 2 day package the price became 14.000...

because i stay only for 2 night, i wonder which package more suittable....

day 1 arrive, day 2 ski all day..day 3 back to sapporo.....

any recomend?

many thanks guys..

thanks pete...

Salamat malam Pak 8rei

What time do you arrive at Sapporo station? Just want to confirm that is the train station not plane? If its in the morning you should get a 1/2 day in the 1st and last days depending what time your trains are and a full day in the middle.

Apa kabar pak pete..

Will be ready for board from sapporo station at noon. Arround 2pm. And must go back from niseko to sapporo at 2 pm to.

Is any return bus ticket that valid for 3 day + 1 days ski package?

So far searching on web, only found same days package for 1 days lift ticket.

Or better just get it on spot. Is it often full booked?

Terima kasih banyak pak pete...

Just an idea pak 8rei, the Hilton should be able to sort it all out for you mate. Perhaps email them and see if they can help? I havent come via train before so sorry not much help there re bus timetables etc.

Depending on how keen you are you could get a couple hours skiing on your arrival but Im guessing you'd need a 1/2 day ticket. There is lift right at the front door of the Hilton so you could be on the slopes really quickly after arriving.The other thing you could do is night skiing but you would need to catch the shuttle to Hirafu to do that.

On the second day I suggest you get an all mountain pass for the 4 seperate resorts as if its a nice day its great just exploring the whole mountain.

Are u staying in Sapporo before u go to Niseko?

If not you can go direct to resort from the airport. Just book a resort shuttle

yes.. i will stay in sapporo before go to niseko.

so i think better go from sapporo station than chitose..am i right?

or i must go from airpot because no bus ticket at sapporo station?

i'm planning going by BUS.. not the train.. as i know everybody suggest by bus.

so now i collect the information for bus+lift package..

is it easy to get bus+lift package at sapporo station?

Went to the climbing wall today to take some photos of my swedish mates.

kokodoko_129.jpg

kokodoko_128.jpg

Tonight went night skiing through the trees near Miharishi. The snow was nice and soft surprisingly. And it was so warm I was getting hot.

Conditions are very spring-like.

Need more snow soon!

Sorry Mike was typing while you posted.... just what I was trying to say but far more eloquently.

This was pretty much my thought process the 1st year I rode there as I am sure it is with others. :(

I would argue that regardless of your knowledge of what is or isn't safe that it is actually reasonably safe to head out through the gates when they are open. The history of accidents and deaths at Niseko since the introduction of the gates system more than proves that.. People die at ski resorts, they always have and always will. But I do not think that the number of deaths at Niseko are unusually high due to the ease of access to sidecountry terrain. If anything they are way below average when you take into account the amount off-piste terrain and snowfall at the resort. As much as people like to push for more awareness and safety I'm really not sure how much safer you could make it at Niseko beyond restricting access through the gates to only a select few with all the gear and proven knowledge. Considering how incredibly good the safety record has been I can't see any need for it. Personally I think it's great that those relatively unskilled and lacking knowledge can still access such amazing terrain. I see it as a positive not a negative. Can't tell you how many people I met over the years who claimed to have had the best holiday of their lives, often due to the quality of skiing/riding experienced out through the gates. I think that's worth a small amount of risk taking to have an experience you'll never forget..I'm certainly not against the idea of trying to educate people about the dangers but I don't think the dangers at Niseko are as great as many attempt to make out. They often bring knowledge and experience from regions with very different snowpacks and risk factors that just don't apply to the same extent in Niseko.

Based on my very imited slack country experience but now having been to a few resorts big and small in Japan and OS, Niseko Gates is undoubtably the perfect place for taking the next step from riding inbounds all day, the risk profile is ceratinly lower then SC/BC elsewhere (incl Niseko) as GN points out aand as patrol are assessing it before opening it and for me was a great place to learn some limitations in myself and also start to understand off resort risks. Having so many people around you,whilst at 1st dissapointing is a blessing in disguise if it goes bad. I just wish Id spoken to the patrol guys, just didnt want to bother them. Undoubtably my riding and knowledge increased when riding those areas so like GN points out it was a great trip. In my mind its about the only reason I recomend Niseko to anyone as besides the riding in those areas the rest isnt really my trip due to crowds etc.

Having said that its the next step which to me is a bigger one but lessened to a degree from the experience of Niseko.

Lots of wind this morning. Hirafu Gondola is running slow. Queue is 200 meters long.

Quad is closed.

Hanazono closed.

I had one run down miharishi and it was choice. shin deep in places.. but i could not get back up again.. :)