why do they rebuild it....is it a state secret? ;)

Idea is to keep Amaterasu's house always new, and never having to suffer the ravages of decay.

They have been rebuilding it every twenty years for 1300 years now. Interestingly, the new shrine is built in a lot next to the current one, with the current lot being left empty after the move until it is used for the next rebuild 20 years later. So it bounces between two adjacent sites over the years.

20 years is short enough that the knowledge of how to build in that style is not lost over the generations. So the shape of the shrine has been more-or-less preserved over the years.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Breaking Bad - just keeps getting better and better.

Ya...no need to buy a 747 to get the free bag of peanuts..

just watched the premiere of fargo the tv series. pretty good so far. billy bob thornton does a good job.

Veep just gets better and better. Watched a few episodes first time around. Liked it, but was too busy trying to map on the thick of it that it eventually slipped away. Started watching season 2 and my goodness, it might actually be even better than its incredible predecessor. Definitely watch it without the seinfeld/iannucci goggles and youll thank me. Barbarous writing and once again some phenomenal casting.

Veep just gets better and better. Watched a few episodes first time around. Liked it, but was too busy trying to map on the thick of it that it eventually slipped away. Started watching season 2 and my goodness, it might actually be even better than its incredible predecessor. Definitely watch it without the seinfeld/iannucci goggles and youll thank me. Barbarous writing and once again some phenomenal casting.

:thumbsup:

Talking about David Duvochiny or whatever his name is. Watched some X Files recently. Some of them were real good.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I have been watching the morning/mid-day drama on NHK. It's called Ama-chan and its a very enjoyable 15mins.

But of course its not worth the license fee!

I really should watch the Sopranos again. I used to watch it back home, but then I came out here and couldn't be arsed keeping up. Its a good TV show though.

17 years ago in the UK, this started....

• 2 weeks later...