SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
panhead_pete

What's in your back pack

On a backcountry day,

Splitboard, skins, poles obviously! If it's possibly going to be icy (e.g. Yotei) then ski crampons.

Avy gear i.e. brain, beacon, probe and shovel.

Emergency bivvy, basically a small silver foil type sheet bag (folds up to the size of an iPad mini)

Small first aid kit, incl thumb/finger splints.

Numerous length voile ski straps

Lightweight down jacket

Balaclava

Headlamp

Board / ski tool + leatherman/ Swiss army knife

Water / food

At the beginning of the season I put 3 short sections of gaffer/duct tape on each ski pole and shovel handle.

At the beginning of the season I put 3 short sections of gaffer/duct tape on each ski pole and shovel handle.

can you explain what that's about Method?

Duct tape has a million uses in the backcountry... Basically temporary repair on any gear e.g. Torn seam on a jacket or glove

Rather than carry around a whole roll, I just roll a few 30-40 cm lengths around my ski pole and shovel handle.

Ahhh.. I get it.

I didn't realize it was layered up, therefore similar to carrying a roll of duct tape without the hassle of the entire roll.

I was thinking it was just a piece of tape on the poles...and wondering why... :lol:

No issues with lost stickyness in the cold/wet?

Ahhh.. I get it.

I didn't realize it was layered up, therefore similar to carrying a roll of duct tape without the hassle of the entire roll.

I was thinking it was just a piece of tape on the poles...and wondering why... :lol:

No issues with lost stickyness in the cold/wet?

Ah yeah somewhere like Japan, where the snow gets into every single crack and pocket, yes.

I replace the strips every now and then as they get "caked" on to your pole after a while and are useless.

Thanks Method, if its OK will take your list and add to it as others contribute.

Splitboard, skins, poles obviously! If it's possibly going to be icy (e.g. Yotei) then ski crampons.

Avy gear i.e. brain, beacon, probe and shovel.

Emergency bivvy, basically a small silver foil type sheet bag (folds up to the size of an iPad mini)

Small first aid kit, incl thumb/finger splints.

Numerous length voile ski straps

Lightweight down jacket

Balaclava

Headlamp

Board / ski tool + leatherman/ Swiss army knife

Water / food

Whsitle

Length of flat rope

I picked up a el-cheapo down jacket from G2 (the Uniclo poor-cousin brand store) and luckily had a small dry bag that fits it well. Yes, it's pretty important to keep your down jacket very dry for when you need it. :sjcool:

I also pack a GPS or three (in the form of smartphones lately) with battery backup

and some guarana / green tea caffeine pills for emergency energy :happyshades:

Wasabi Kakipi and a Snickers bar :p .

Gonna start putting some lenghs of duct tape around my shovel handle too. Thanks Method!

Going to buy a shovel and probe at the end of the month (Shugakuso sale), wondering what everyone carries and any advice (other than a 300cm probe cos I live Hokkaido)??

Going to buy a shovel and probe at the end of the month (Shugakuso sale), wondering what everyone carries and any advice (other than a 300cm probe cos I live Hokkaido)??

Meaning in the shovel and probe department, what do u carry?

Only a mad man or woman would forget to load his/her pockets with cheese before venturing onto the mountains!!

Where are you off to this season Pete?

Will be doing a lot of riding across Honshu this season - moving over in November for the season, maybe longer .

Pete hasn't been on here in a LOOOOOOOOONG time

Hope all is well TB and SnowJunky.

Yep, life is great in the sunshine state Pete as you well know.

Though starting to feel the winter stoke vibes through the forum :wave:

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.