When I was a kid, I used to have scrambled egg on toast with a bit of HP Sauce. That was great. I'm going to have to try that again I think ;\)

Some beans would be good with it too!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegemite contains vegetable matter besides the yeast extract, so it tastes lighter and more vegetably. I used to think Vegemite was a poor Australian cousin to Marmite, but I've come to appreciate it in its own right.

When I was wandering the back streets of Saigon I saw the familiar yellow and red label with the magic words "marmite" on it. It was in a glass jar and not the plastic one I am so fond of and a check on the label said made in the UK somewhere. When I got it back to J-land and spread it on my toast much to my disgust it tasted just like NZ vegemite does \:\( . So my question is are we talking about the same stuff here? Does UK marmite taste like antipodean marmite or are we comparing different things here?

For the record marmite is much better. Its softer and spreads better and doesnt have the greasyness of vegemite. Also marmite as a substitute for beef stock in cooking is better than the vege. I think vege tastes a bit tarter too. But at the end of the day Id eat vegemite if there was no marmite and wouldnt be complaining. \:\)

I've never tried any of the mites me-self.

I am a bagel and creamcheese kind of guy. (That count cheesman?). Maybe if I am feeling extra saucy I'll throw some strawberry jelly on there too.

That is a frequent kind of thing. On a rarer occasion I really like French toast with yogurt, maple syrup, and fresh fruit. mmmmmmm

VEGEMITE!!! absolutely!!! over that foul concoction called marmite!

Someone asked what is the difference? well vegemite is salty with no sugar while marmite is full of sugar and still a little salty. urgh sweet and salty at the same time. Give me vegemite

bagels and cream cheese!! so delicious- why can't you find bagels here? i don't need the fancy flavors like sundried tomato and everything (though it would be nice), i just want a decent bagel. when i was back in the states this summer i had at least one everyday. the best is with smoked salmon, capers, onions, yummmm

theres a bagel place down the road from nakameguro station... the name of the place escapes me at the present.

when you come out of the station take a left and keep walking for about 10mins and you will come to a bagel place (on the same side of the road as the station)