Hey guys,

Long time lurker and first time poster. A friend and I are getting serious about making the trek to Japan and after researching the various areas, have widdled our focus down to Hakkoda and Niseko. We are obviously looking for some great powder runs, hence Hakkoda and Niseko. However, I want to make sure we're not getting in "over our heads". We are both experienced boarders, and have had some great powder day at American resorts, but let's be real - our best days pale in comparison to the pictures we're seeing in Japan, and we're mostly resort/lift guys (we haven't done a ton of hiking or backcountry). Basically, I'd like to know what to expect at both locations, and given our fitness level, equipment, experience, etc, maximize our time at the right place.

We're trying to decide where to spend most of our time given our skills and preparation and had some questions for you guys.

Hakkoda: Offers only two patrolled trails, the direct and the forest course. The major attraction here is the off trail courses that few traverse. I've also read that terrain can be really flat, requiring both skiiers and boarders (we are boarders) to bring poles. We have heard getting a guide is the best (and safest) way to really enjoy and explore Hakkoda, which we would do, but I'm left wondering how grueling spending 5 days in Hakkoda would be:

(1) Does Hakkoda require multi-hour hikes to get to good terrain? Is this a 3-hr hike for a 10 minute run (and repeat)? Are the lifts pretty much useless?

(2) Are snowshoes/major equipment, etc. really needed to have fun in Hakkoda?

Niseko: We are thinking of trying to hit Hirafu and Rusutsu - any other locations/suggestions?

(1) Can most of the trails/powder be accessed via lifts? Or is it similar to Hakkoda - hiking and backcountry traversing are required? Are most of the runs groomed/trails or is there ample backcountry stuff?

(2) How is steepness compared to Hakkoda?

Thanks guys - any insight would be appreciated. I'm sure we're not considering a ton of things so feel free to add any/all thoughts.

-W

Don't have any info on Hakkoda other than what you have probably already read. A couple of friends of mines are just back from Hakkoda and they said while its great snow, some areas were dicey. So I reckon a guide would def be best.

Also, Rusutsu isn't Niseko. It's about an hours drive from Niseko and a totally different resort. It is awesome for lift accessed powder filled tree runs tho and less people than at Niseko

How much time do you guys have? The two areas you mentioned are wildly different from my understanding although have only read about Hokkoda.

In my experience last year the 4 resorts at Niseko get quickly tracked out on pow days although obviously those in the know will have stashes which can be found but effectively if its safe and reasonably easy to get to and you arent with a guide or local by lunch time its all been poached. Still had some awesome morning runs and if those gates open be there.

If you base yourself in Niseko there is Rusutsu bus every morning so you can day trip it. Its an awesome place, with great tree runs and a LOT less crowded. Kiori is also within easy reach and I stayed at Black Mountain Lodge and part of the deal was some road trips including those Just DONT duck the rope at the top on skiers right and ride into that valley at Kiori!!!

Now a word of warning. The pow in Japan can be VERY deep and with that comes a certain element of danger that can be high. I had a couple moments last year I would rather not repeat. Im unsure of what equipment you are bringing but pow specific boards are a must if you are keen on the pow.

If you are going BC - avie training, beacon, prob, shovel and guides would be my advice. Seriously though there isnt a lot of need to go too far off the resorts for mad pow runs.

I would go with guides to get the best out of Hakkoda. Snowshoe, pole, and beacon rentals are available. Direct can be fun but has a lot of flat spots, and the forest course is even flatter. Depending on where you go with guides you could spend about as little as a half hour to get to some good spots.

There can be days where Hakkoda gets so much snow that only a small pathway in the Direct course is doable. Heading off the broken-in track would just get you stuck. We've already had a few nights of 90cm snowfall.

We have about two weeks give or take a couple days.

Yeah, we do plan to get a guide in Hakkoda and are planning on bringing or renting the right gear. Also, we have long pow specific boards, though that's no guarantee we won't get stuck!

So it sounds like Niseko is more akin to a large american resort - most of the runs, both on and off trail are accessed via lift and minimal hiking is required? I gathered this given the comments on most of the good pow getting tracked out quickly, which is also the case at many of the great US resorts.

How big is Niseko compared to Rusutsu? Also, in terms of housing, does Rusutsu have a lot of housing options compared to Niseko? I'm curious if it would be better to setup base camp in Rusutsu or Niseko?

Thanks guys! Your comments are really helpful!

If it was me I'd base myself in Niseko. Understand its essientally 4 areas on one mountain with LOTS of options. Be on 1st lifts and you'll get lots of pow runs prior to lunch. I cant comment on the real BC there but lots of fun is to be had in the slackcountry when they open the gates and you can hike up and/or out. I've only been there once and stayed in Niseko Village which is NOT where all the night life is at Hirafu. There are a few options there including Black Mountain Lodge which is set up for people that are there to ride including day trips to other places (Kiori and Rusutsu). Friendly vibe and good food, When I was looking accomadation in Rusutsu it was very limited. If there are two of you I'd consider hiring a car on and off to go look at some of the smaller resorts within a couple hours each way.

yeah +1 for staying in Niseko but doing day trip to Rusutsu. At Rusutsu there isn't much there.....a big hotel complex, a couple of izakaya bars, a convini or 2 and a lodge or 2. Hirafu has lots of sleeping options as well as restaurants and bars

+1 for needing a guide in Hakkoda. Even if you know the terrain and are confident in BC, most of the good lines spit you out onto a road and you need a car pickup.

It's well worth it though, even though you do hike a bit it's mostly traversing with very little climbing unless you really want to and get lucky with conditions. If you get it good, hands down one of the best places in Japan to ride powder, probably better than Niseko in my book. However good conditions for accessing the big lines are pretty rare. You could easily be there for a week and it keeps puking 50cm+ every day - then again, I doubt you'd complain about that either...

Thanks guys - so decided on 3 days in Hakkoda. I hope that is enough to really enjoy it.

Regarding Niseko, any suggestions on which resort? I've been doing research on (1) Grand Hirafu, (2) Hanazona, (3) Annupuri and (4) Niseko Village. I understand there are a bunch of others?

Having trouble targeting which to go to - they ALL look great. Would appreciate any thoughts on favorites, etc.