• SnowJapan Admin

Haha thanks @tokyo.

I just thought I'd post a few bits and pieces of info in these weeks leading up to the move.

I posted the same on my Blog here as well and also in the new section of the Forums.

:friend:

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm not talking anything up!

Given that our update schedule is running later than we planned and hoped for, I'm simply trying to keep people who are interested updated as to where we are - and giving out some real information on what the plans are.

That is all.

Please note I did not start this thread. If you're not interested, you can always just ignore it!

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

allllmost there :)

Dudes, just had a thought. I was just reading the daily reports and kinda wishing i could just comment on them. Not to get in a bum fight about it but to kinda laugh at the conditions or share direct experience on the day. Kinda like the weather dongle thing, but maybe a) restricting the characters a la twitter to 200 or so, B) adding that whole disclaimer on only commenting if youre there on the day; and c) having a read comments/notes toggle with it defaulted to off should keep the aim of a simple, clear easy to read update in tact but allow for moderate updating as the day moves on as well as a more rounded picture of things.

Obviously not a priority or anything, but might be a cute addition?

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi ippy.

It's a good idea.

But in practice I don't think that's one thing we want to get into.

It sounds like something that would take a huge amount of our time, with probably very little gain and cause more problems than it's worth.

Slanging matches, "the report is just like TOTALLY wrong, there's 10cm not 8cm!", people hyping places, the opposite, nonsense spam etc.... Not everyone, of course.

The thought of newspaper website comments after articles makes me shudder!

Kinda like the weather dongle thing

I presume you mean the weather voting thing on our resort/now pages?

Again it was I think a good idea, but in practice it has caused more problems than it was worth.

People voting 'silly' and only a very small number of resorts getting any votes at all. The data was very sparse for all but one or two resorts.

This...

adding that whole disclaimer on only commenting if youre there on the day

...sounds great, but it just doesn't work.

A look at the IP addresses of the people voting tells a story.

When someone in Nagano is voting rain for Niseko when it's snowing (and vice versa), it kind of takes the potential value out of it.

And with few people actually making use of it anyway, the silly votes really skew the numbers.

We obviously can't keep an eye on all the votes but we did try to delete the obviously ridiculous things that were going on.

But it was a battle that was taking up way too much time.

We looked at all the numbers and stats we have, usage etc, and all things considered decided not to bring over the weather voting thing to the new site.

No doubt one or two people will pipe up and say how that is being 'negative' or something similar.

No, it's not, it's just being realistic. We don't want obviously incorrect information and data being displayed on our site.

You'll get to see the new site hopefully this month. I have learnt that I need to be vague on that as enormous amounts of time just seem to get sucked into the process. Already have lots of things we want to add to the features already on this new site, so we'll definitely continue developing.

Understand completely. But it seriously blows my mind that theres so much politics involved in just having a ball and riding. There was an article a month or so ago about riding in Japan, and there was this one dude just completely slagging the very idea as utterly inconsiderate to the poor people in the UK. Turns out he had a business in the alps and was slagging it off and hyping up the alps for obvious reasons.

I love information. Im borderline obsessive about it to the point of lacking a clear definite point (which is of course the point), but it genuinely irks me that people cant just put it out there and let people make their own minds up. I feel like Hubert Farnsworth sometimes :(

• SnowJapan Admin

Apparently not.

One more similar thing. The 'Resort Rankings' on the current site are going to disappear, or should I say be reset.

Right now anyone can go in there and vote and vote as many times as they want and has been open to abuse.

On the new site, Rankings are going to be tied in with Resort Reviews.

So when you post a Resort Review, you will do your ranking thing.

And only logged in members will be able to post Resort Reviews.

Oh, and you'll be able to edit your posted Resort Reviews too.

Hopefully over time that will mean that the Ranking data is more meaningful.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks.

Good question!

The new site is a complete reworking of the current SnowJapan site (site, not these forums).

Obviously that is a pretty huge chunk of work, but we did give ourselves well over a year to do it - closing in on a year and a half actually.

So we thought that December 2012 would be good for release.

I suppose really it boils down to a handful of things taking considerably longer than we hoped - mainly involving intergrating old stuff into the completely new setup.

It was not possible to create importing scripts from old to new that worked completely cleanly, and so a large amount of manual editing has been needed, as one example. NOT fun!

A few cases of flu sure haven't helped.

December 2012 would have been ideal, but -- big picture -- a few months won't make much difference.

Obviously doing everything we can to get it ready though. Gambarimasu.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

Absolutely, definitely, most certainly before December 2015, igloo. I think. :doh:

Hopefully much sooner, but I think we have given up on talking about dates.

It'll be online just as soon as it's ready to be.

It's a good job it's not just an update for this season! :lol:

Gambarimasu.

• SnowJapan Admin

Gambatte imasu!

Yosh.

Actually as we approach that lovely day when we can finally do the swap, now is probably a good time for people to get on over to the main site and re-familiarise with it.

Just so you have a fresh memory of what it's like to compare it to the new.....

http://www.snowjapan.com

You need a picture up of it for posterity. You can bet in a couple of years we'll be all "you remember the old site?"

• SnowJapan Admin

As I wait for Bob to make some updates, that is in fact exactly what I am doing now.

It looks different and new, yes, but it's what it does where the biggest changes are.

You guys really have been at it a long time now, must be tired.

Have you had much of a winter, asks sheepishly?

Really looking forward to seeing the new.