• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can honestly say I do not budget for piss. If they charge me to pee, I'll just wazz on the pavement or on the piste where people are most likely to fall.

Oh, and I'd cover Fukushima with domes as well.

the problem with carrying a large wad around is the damage it does to your wallet when you sit down. I usually keep a wedge flattened under an ashtray in the room.

1.2 million dollars for a 3 bedroom place in Niseko? You're having a laugh. Nice apartments in Tokyo go for less than that.

The agents are assuming that Aussies are used to paying high prices.

I know I wouldn't pay that much in a fit considering you can pick up a whole lodge which sleeps 50+ people in Hakuba for ~$400k (see the lab, liquid tours).

If fools are willing to part with their money, I suppose there'll be people out there willing to take it off them.

If fools are willing to part with their money, I suppose there'll be people out there willing to take it off them.
That's a judgement I don't necessarily agree with. We bought in the bigN but we certainly didn't part with the upper range, just gotta be smart.

When rental returns are high you have to expect a higher purchase price though.

If you were buying a lodge that sleeps 50 then I'd assume you would be purchasing that as a business and running it so...that's great.

But if you are wanting to buy a holiday investment that can be rented out to the visiting hoardes and be in a positive cash flow position I would think that a nice modern apartment with all the mod cons within a short stroll to the lifts and under professional managment, would be a good way to go. Different strokes for different folks.

We liked the Gondola Chalets in Hirafu.

Stayed there 3 times over the years, and the rentals were fairly high. Worked brilliantly for us at the time, and would have been thrilled to own one - but they were always on the market between 900k and 1.5m AUD. It was just way too exxy for us. But I believe the people who owned them felt they were a good investment. I certainly wouldn't be judging their choice to spend that cash - especially seeing as we had been prepared to be repeat customers - only trying new places when they were booked out.

Obviously you don't need to justify your own purchases to me or anyone else on here.

And if you are smart then you are not one of the fools. But there most certainly are fools willing to part with over the top sums of money, and the people there willing to accept it.

Obviously you don't need to justify your own purchases to me or anyone else on here.

And if you are smart then you are not one of the fools. But there most certainly are fools willing to part with over the top sums of money, and the people there willing to accept it.

Oh I'm sure.

There was ridiculous sums changing hands at the peak of the boom...that has very much leveled off now. I doubt it will spiral to those lofty heights again - and there were most definitely some people burnt when the GFC cleaned up the excesses, but those who were burnt were mostly those who borrowed money to finance the purchase and then got a call from the bank.

My point is that there are some very good buys to be had there now, and that a sound financial decision doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest option. It's a balance between purchase price and earning potential and ongoing costs.

That linked article says that the Gondola Chalets were the first of its kind catering to the Western market.

Transformation to International Resort with all the good and bad that that brings.

It was certainly good for me.

They were a year old when I first stayed in them and had my very first taste of snow EVER.

Not sure which way you are looking at it?

If the Niseko brand is catering for the international visitor and making a return on/taking care of your investment

then its money in your pocket with a few fringe benefits as mb states.

Sure know I would like a cheap bear cave away from N but could see problems with logistics, snow clearing

and rental return when not a local.

If the Niseko brand is catering for the international visitor and making a return on/taking care of your investment

And who exactly is questioning that?

:confused:

Sure know I would like a cheap bear cave away from N but could see problems with logistics, snow clearing

and rental return when not a local.

What is a joke is Thredbo prices! Although even those have been dropping.

Niseko is a classic bubble, and sooner or later it will burst.

It's already overbuilt (IMHO) in terms of what the mountain can handle in-bounds.

People go to Niseko for powder, but before long there won't be any an hour after first chair (yes, outside the gates, yadda yadda -- but the gates are often closed, and most visitors can't handle outside the gates, which is a whole other problem).

Prices did a big fall.

They are now reasonably stable at the lower level.

Still lot of people trying for top dollar (that they bought at), but they'll be very lucky to find someone willing to pay it.

Did you note the sale of apartments at falls creek a year or two back, they were selling them from $30k!!! Silly cheap prices.

But gotta factor in the short season, lack of reliable snow in season, lack of resort support (talk about oversnow to anyone who's ever stayed there) and distance from everywhere except Malbu\n, and the prices are stupid high!

We looked at one a while ago, but the occupancy rates would have had to be around 900% during the season to even break even. If the orices have dropped since then, the rates might have dropped too (to about 400%?) :lol:

Then factor in the cost of maintenance, rates etc, and it's still not an economic proposition.