Hi All,

I've planned a solo trip to Nozowa Onsen and Hakuba for the last two weeks of Feb. From what I understand, this is outside of the peak period of Japan.

I maybe asking a little much, but does anyone know where I can get a long term forecast (i.e. for the last couple of weeks of Feb) for these regions?

I'm hoping for a bit of powder and not just spring skiing. Nonetheless, I've bought a new GoPro that should entertain regardless of the snow type.

Cheers!

Hi :wave:

Last year March was pretty great at times if I remember.

Do a search on here and also check out the daily reports from those areas to get an idea of how it has been then in previous years

The start of April was also pretty good, I got an awesome powder day in about April 10th, up at Kagura. Of course you can't guarantee powder, but the end of Feb is still in with a good shout of having awesome conditions. I wouldn't class that as spring skiing although you may have swings and roundabouts in the weather that means one week its awesome and the next its not....roll the dice! :D

long range forecasts are pretty ineffectual as the weather patterns change so quickly.

According to the latest long range forecast, January and February are looking colder than usual (40% chance colder than usual :40% chance normal : 20% chance warmer than usual) although TBH, I wouldn't read too much into that. I wouldn't say the last two weeks of Febraury is outside the peak period of Japan, rather its at the back end of the peak. I you are coming for two weeks I'd say there is a very good chance you will see some decent powdery conditions for at least some of your trip.

It really varies from year to year. You can expect anything from rain and bullet proof ice to champagne chest deep powder. Cross your fingers and hope for the best! No need to worry about things you can't control!

The most consistent snow on the planet!

BOOK NOW!!!!!!

;)

You missed 'powder' pie. It's The Most Consistent POWDER Snow On The Planet! And if you're only booking now you're too late. It's been all booked out since August last year! :doh:

Lol. Niseko also wins for wind! I remember mid-late February last year lots of grumblings of shut lifts and super windy conditions there for about two weeks. Who cares how much it snows if the lifts are on wind hold?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply, I just joined. I've been to Nozawa in late Feb. the last three years. We skied two days each trip and had only one day out of those six that was not great, light rain and wind. Going back this year in a couple of weeks and hoping for the same weather.

Sorry for the late reply, I just joined. I've been to Nozawa in late Feb. the last three years. We skied two days each trip and had only one day out of those six that was not great, light rain and wind. Going back this year in a couple of weeks and hoping for the same weather.

ha! Last week I had pissing rain! :)