Hi All,

Long time lurker and have gotten a lot of advice from reading through the forums here.

Long story short as I got to get on the bus in 10 minutes... I lost my gopro 2 at Furano on Friday 4th January.

It was on the Kitanomine side on the "Giant" run. I hit a bump under all the powder and flipped forward, go pro must of come off my helmet and i didnt realise until i was nearly at the bottom.

Lodged a lost property report but since this run is ungroomed Im unsure if it will ever be found unless someone finds it and hands it in. Went back the very next morning and looked for it but couldnt find it through all the powder.

Im going back to Aus in a couple weeks but have left my Japanese friends contact details with the resort if they do find anything.

Im hoping this will be one of those situations where someone finds it and goes through the videos and tries to find me online. hahaha.. maybe im dreaming?

Has anyone else lost something at Furano and had it returned later on?

Thanks

Henry

not good....some lucky bugger'll find it in the spring. This is Japan though and there's a good chance that if it is found, it'll be handed in and you'll get your camera back.

definitely should be added to this thread...

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/22396-sacrifices-to-the-snow-gods/

How did you have it mounted? Did you use the sticky 3M mounting accessories? I didn't trust those so use the head strap thing and wrap it around my helmet and tuck it under the goggle clip at the back of the helmet. Might be an idea for when you perhaps claim your insurance and use the cash to buy yourself a nice shiny new GoPro 3 Black edition? Someone on youtube also showed a way to secure the mount to the helmet with nuts and bolts, but Im not sure what that does to the integrity of the helmet....

I think this belongs in this thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/22396-sacrifices-to-the-snow-gods/

Hope you find it but if it's lost on an ungroomed run I think there is little chance.

As for securing a gopro with bolts to your helmet... WTF?! That is the worst idea I've ever heard. You've not only turned your helmet into an expensive piece of garbage you're also putting yourself at serious risk every time you ride. Dumb dumb dumb!

• Like 1
I think this belongs in this thread:

Hope you find it but if it's lost on an ungroomed run I think there is little chance.

As for securing a gopro with bolts to your helmet... WTF?! That is the worst idea I've ever heard. You've not only turned your helmet into an expensive piece of garbage you're also putting yourself at serious risk every time you ride. Dumb dumb dumb!

About what I was thinking but with a few more expletives mixed in there!!!

I'd rather lose 5 GoPro's than risk brain damage from a backyard pimping of my helmet!

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be claiming it on insurance. Guess I'll just accept that its gone and a miracle will be needed for it to be returned.

What sucks more is that I was using a 64GB card i had just bought for the upcoming Black edition. Had some good Kyushu driving and Otaru > Sapporo train ride on there as well!!!

I tried the helmet strap but camera kept flopping about, the tape felt so strong when i put it on but i guess the impact was pretty rough. Oh well ... lesson learnt for next time.

I would recommend attaching a short length of very thin pre-stretched rope to the camera. You should be able to find some in a sports shop with the climbing ropes. Super cheap too. Just feed it through the little gap where metal bar hinge for the back door is, next to the mounting holes.. Tie a slip knot on each end, fasten one to the camera and the other to your helmet strap, pole or whatever else you mount it to. If the mount fails, it will remain attached. No more lost go pros.

Make sure the rope is on tight and isn't loose and flapping about when its on your helmet in the trees. The branches might get a bit too friendly and yank your head back.

there must be quite a few buried in the snow.

recently i've seen lots of go pros mounted with a safety string as backup.

makes me want to extend my stay and cash in during the thaw.

I would recommend attaching a short length of very thin pre-stretched rope to the camera. You should be able to find some in a sports shop with the climbing ropes. Super cheap too. Just feed it through the little gap where metal bar hinge for the back door is, next to the mounting holes.. Tie a slip knot on each end, fasten one to the camera and the other to your helmet strap, pole or whatever else you mount it to. If the mount fails, it will remain attached. No more lost go pros.

Make sure the rope is on tight and isn't loose and flapping about when its on your helmet in the trees. The branches might get a bit too friendly and yank your head back.

Yeah thats what I will be doing same as on the pole

there must be quite a few buried in the snow.

recently i've seen lots of go pros mounted with a safety string as backup.

makes me want to extend my stay and cash in during the thaw.

One Spring, not so long ago, the thaw brought much sadness. Not in the Furano, but in Niseko.

How did you have it mounted? Did you use the sticky 3M mounting accessories? I didn't trust those so use the head strap thing and wrap it around my helmet and tuck it under the goggle clip at the back of the helmet. Might be an idea for when you perhaps claim your insurance and use the cash to buy yourself a nice shiny new GoPro 3 Black edition? Someone on youtube also showed a way to secure the mount to the helmet with nuts and bolts, but Im not sure what that does to the integrity of the helmet....

I had the same concern and use the same mount as you described - I think they call it the vented helmet mount. It seems pretty secure, though both clips could easily open and the entire mount could fall off (hey, it could happen), so I double check to see if the mount is there on every lift.

I also have the GoPro mounted in such a way that its at the very top of my field of vision. One, I like having the camera catch the front tip of my board. Two, I like being able to see the camera so I can tell if it came off! It doesn't obstruct my vision but I can def see it.

I had the same concern and use the same mount as you described - I think they call it the vented helmet mount. It seems pretty secure, though both clips could easily open and the entire mount could fall off (hey, it could happen), so I double check to see if the mount is there on every lift.

I also have the GoPro mounted in such a way that its at the very top of my field of vision. One, I like having the camera catch the front tip of my board. Two, I like being able to see the camera so I can tell if it came off! It doesn't obstruct my vision but I can def see it.

I think hes referring to the Gopro headstrap

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/head-strap-mount

I set up my helmet the other day with one of these and it looks pretty stirdy, Not heaps of shock and bounce in the camera so might be the way to go.

I used the head strap for a while, as I don't yet have a helmet, but I opted for the chestie instead, it provides a much more natural view than being on top of your head. I'm 6 foot 4, so having a fisheyed view from way up there really makes the footage look strange. Having the camera right on your chest looks much more natural.

Yesterday I also made a pole out for my GoPro using an old ski pole.

to the OP, good luck with the camera retrieval, I think if a local finds your camera in the spring, the kindness of the Japanese may lean in your favour, so long as your contact details can be found. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost my HeroHD 3 Black yesterday.

22 Jan 2013. Happo-One, Skyline run. Far right had edge, half way down where the catrack turns back on it self. 5 meters up before the catrack. Middle of the run.

Caught a heel side edge while facing up the mountain, (thanks powder covered mogul) fell backwards,hard. Didnt realise Gopro had come off my Helmut. RIP

Lost my HeroHD 3 Black yesterday.

22 Jan 2013. Happo-One, Skyline run. Far right had edge, half way down where the catrack turns back on it self. 5 meters up before the catrack. Middle of the run.

Caught a heel side edge while facing up the mountain, (thanks powder covered mogul) fell backwards,hard. Didnt realise Gopro had come off my Helmut. RIP

Byhart.... I ski that run almost exclusively. I'll give a little dig around each time I go through.... you never know.