Snow Conditions: Jpow, chopped powder, soft packed snow to hard packed groomers.

Setup: Hovercraft 160 with Burton Cartel Reflex bindings and Burton Ruler boots.

Size: 160cm (wider stance setup than I use on shorter boards)

First Impression:

Wow, this board is much lighter and more flexible than I'm used to for powder specific boards.

Second Impression:

It's beautiful.

Third, fourth (etc) impressions:

It took a lot longer than usual to tweak the board to my liking. This probably has to do with the fact that I was also on new bindings and boots that I'd only used a couple of times. At first, I was really disappointed with how the board handled on packed snow and groomers. Because it is much more flexible than my usual go-to powder board (The Fish), it felt quite loose underfoot. By the second day, and after some more tweaking, my initial apprehensions had subsided. It handles the groomers fine.

To be honest, I think the 160 is a bit too much board for me. I'm used to riding a 156 Fish so the Hovercraft felt like a bit of a tank. This also caused significant problems for me in the trees, even in areas that I have completely dialed in. In the pow, this board seems better equipped for long S turns, another reason that I wasn't too impressed in the trees. There is a bit more tail than the Fish so the turns aren't quite as snappy.

Switch: Why?

Park: Why?

Stability:

After spending a bit of time on the board I realized that the stability is very good. The design makes it easy to stand naturally while still floating above the pow without getting any back leg burn. Even in the really deep stuff I felt like I could get a little bit to the front of the board without sinking into the snow making the ride fast and cruisey.

I also noticed that the board handled really well on groomed runs. Most tapered boards have a significant amount of washout on groomers but I felt quite stuck to the runs even at speed.

Unfortunately, in the choppy powder things felt a little loose underfoot. I think the flex in the board contributes quite a bit to a bouncy feeling and it was difficult to control at times.

Snow surfing:

What I love about tapered powder specific boards are the similar feelings you get to riding waves. This board definitely delivered a surfy feeling. However, it was nothing like the Fish. If the Fish is a soul-arching Jerry Lopez riding a retro board on a playful shoulder high wave, the Hovercraft is strapped-in Laird Hamilton charging at Teahupoo. Rather than getting snappy cut backs it feels more like pumping across a walling section.

Overall impressions:

I've never been one to go for a board that claims it can do it all. I prefer finding the right board for the right conditions (the reason I have 4 snowboards and 5 surfboards). I get the feeling that the design goes for a wider appeal and wonder about the decision to make it so flexible. I think a stiffer board that doesn't worry about performance in anything other than powder would be better.

When I could let the board run it performed amazingly well. In open areas with deep pow it went like a dream. Super fast and cruisey. Unfortunately, I really don't think it is appropriate for tree riding. The sharp, snappy, reactive turns just weren't happening (maybe because of the wider waist?). I think I'll stick to the Fish in the trees.

One of the reasons I decided to go for the 160 instead of the 156 (a more appropriate size for me) is that I was worried it was going to be too much like the Fish that I already own. The differences I noticed between the two boards can't only be attributed to the difference in size so at some point I'd like to have a go on the shorter version too.

Nice review BM, I'm thinking about getting a Powder only board (my Powder Snake is fantastic but is more of an all rounder) and have been looking at the Nitro Slash and the Hovercraft. 1 thing that worries me about the Hovercraft is the 160 length, I'm a pretty heavy guy and I usually ride a 163 but for the Nitro Slash I'm thinking, minimum 166 or maybe even their 171. That's if the wife releases the purse strings again!! :p

Thanks Black Mountain

The Hovercrafts have arrived in Perth so I go get mine on Tuesday.

I have my 156 Fish but want something a bit bigger for flatter open spaces so maybe the 160 hovercraft will be the go.

I think I have asked the question before but what do you weigh?

Thanks for the comments guys. Seemore, I'm 180cms and 80kgs.

I didn't want the review to be too focused on a comparison with the Fish but I've been thinking about the differences in turning and have noticed something interesting. For the Hovercraft, the nose is slightly narrower, width slightly wider and tail slightly longer (all demensions are only a few mm different) but the length is 4 cms longer. It doesn't seem like it should make such a big difference but it really does.

As for having a swallow tail cut into it, in my experience that means the board needs to be slightly wider and actually reduces the snappiness of turns. I haven't ridden a swallow tail board that I've ever really wanted to take into the trees.

Nice review BM, I'm thinking about getting a Powder only board (my Powder Snake is fantastic but is more of an all rounder) and have been looking at the Nitro Slash and the Hovercraft. 1 thing that worries me about the Hovercraft is the 160 length, I'm a pretty heavy guy and I usually ride a 163 but for the Nitro Slash I'm thinking, minimum 166 or maybe even their 171. That's if the wife releases the purse strings again!! :p

Tubby, for this board I think you would drop 3-6cms from your normal riding length. If you usually ride a 163 then I think the 160 would be fine.

Here are the specs on the two boards:

Fish

Specs

• Effective Edge: 1200mm (156cm), 1235mm (160cm)mm
  • Ability Level: Advanced-Expert
  • Core Material: Wood
  • Tip Width: 312.5mm (156cm), 316mm (160cm)
  • Waist Width: 255mm (156cm), 258mm (160cm)
  • Width: Regular
  • Tail Width: 282.5mm (156cm), 286mm (160cm)
  • Sidecut Radius: 7860mm (156cm), 8240mm (160cm)
  • Stance: 75mm Back
  • Rider Weight: 140-190lbs (156cm), 160-210+lbs (160cm)

hoverspecs.png

Tend to agree with your review BM,

I got the 160 hovercraft split (thinking I should have gone 156..), only been on it for 3 days (2 hiking and 1 resort) and still need to do some set-up tweeking I think..

Like you, found it great when you could open it right up and let it run but had a few issues when it was tight. Thought it handled hard pack/groomers really well too.

A mate I was riding with has the solid hovercraft 160 and loved every bit of it, he was ripping the tighter stuff.. He also has a fish but rated the hover higher.

Thanks Black Mountain

The Hovercrafts have arrived in Perth so I go get mine on Tuesday.

I have my 156 Fish but want something a bit bigger for flatter open spaces so maybe the 160 hovercraft will be the go.

I think I have asked the question before but what do you weigh?

Welcome to the club Seemore

Here are the specs on the two boards:

Fish

Specs

• Effective Edge: 1200mm (156cm), 1235mm (160cm)mm
  • Ability Level: Advanced-Expert
  • Core Material: Wood
  • Tip Width: 312.5mm (156cm), 316mm (160cm)
  • Waist Width: 255mm (156cm), 258mm (160cm)
  • Width: Regular
  • Tail Width: 282.5mm (156cm), 286mm (160cm)
  • Sidecut Radius: 7860mm (156cm), 8240mm (160cm)
  • Stance: 75mm Back
  • Rider Weight: 140-190lbs (156cm), 160-210+lbs (160cm)

hoverspecs.png

Wow it's an ugly looking stick lets hope it rides better than it looks

the fish looks elegant next to it

2013 Hovercarft and Fish

2013 Hovercraft and Fish Base

Did anyone have any issues screwing in the bolts I have tried 3 different sets and none of them are 2 keen to screw in

Do they screw in by themselves, ie. with no bindings fitted? It could be a bad thread or misalignment causing the issue, by screwing them in without the bindings you are eliminating the bad thread theory.

The thread is M6x1.0 if you have a finishing tap run it through, there may be resin on the threads.

looking at the pics I cant help but think that the hovercraft stance options are forward of centre of sidecut radius. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, they are. This is one of the reasons it took me longer than usually to get the board to my liking. In fact, for proper pow riding I found I had to use the furthest set-back options. To get a comfortable stance I also had to go wider than my usual set-up on the Fish.

Yes I will have to work out stance as it looks a bit different maybe one forward of furtherest back.

I tried to screw in about 6 different screws without bindings but none will go in easy, I think I will take it back to Mainpeak and get them to screw them in.

looking at the pics I cant help but think that the hovercraft stance options are forward of centre of sidecut radius. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, they are.

Thats messed up, nobody rides any board forward of centre, why would they do that ?

Yes, they are.

Thats messed up, nobody rides any board forward of centre, why would they do that ?

Don't know I will try it and see what happens :lol: