Muikamachi Hakkaisan (Minamiuonuma, Niigata) - 5th January 2013

Ah, Hakkai-san.

Lovely beer, nice sake (so I hear!), beautiful mountain and a nearby ski resort here in Muikamachi.

Early on today the sun was out and it was a beautiful morning with blue skies. Wispy clouds soon formed and by lunchtime the skies were a mix of blue to the north and a strange mix of colours towards Yuzawa and Gunma looking south. Almost early morning/sunset kind of colours going on there.

It wasn't too crowded considering it is Saturday and didn't have to wait for a lift at all. Saw our friend the guy on the funny ski-board thing with poles - I see him there every time I go to Hakkai-san. And there was some stunning looking tree-snow scenery near the top. So to be original I thought I'd take a few tree photos.

:)

The snow on the runs was decent, but got to admit I was expecting it to be better than it was. With the heavy snow of the previous days I thought it would be lush, but it was actually a bit hard in some places. Strange.

Still very decent though especially higher up, and a fun morning was had.

Let's Hakkai-san.

hakkai-6.jpg

hakkai-7.jpg

hakkai-1.jpg

hakkai-2.jpg

hakkai-3.jpg

hakkai-8.jpg

hakkai-9.jpg

hakkai-10.jpg

Lots of runs like this at Hakkaisan

hakkai-11.jpg

hakkai-31.jpg

hakkai-13.jpg

hakkai-17.jpg

hakkai-18.jpg

hakkai-19.jpg

hakkai-20.jpg

hakkai-23.jpg

hakkai-24.jpg

hakkai-26.jpg

hakkai-29.jpg

hakkai-30.jpg

hakkai-32.jpg

hakkai-15.jpg

hakkai-21.jpg

hakkai-5.jpg

Awesome pics. I really like Hakkaisan, went there on my first trip to Japan and have been back a couple of times. I've had a couple of sightings of mono ski/board thing man too.

Thanks.

I do feel lucky and happy to live near such beauty. :friend:

Lots of trees coming off the left side from top - the official course is a zig zag road type thing but lots of people cut through. No ropes there.

There's lots of trees on the right as well and no ropes there either I don't think.

There are some signs here and there asking not to out of course areas.

Can't say I have ever even seen a ski patrol person.... though having said that I hardly do anywhere - don't go out of my way to look.