Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has gone on a train trip from Kamishiro Stn to Matsumoto by train and caught local bus to Matsumoto ?.I thought it might be an interesting day trip if the legs are a bit sore from the snow!!!.I hate guided tours just wanted to mingle with the locals my Japanese is very basic but I just wondered if it would be difficlut catching local trains.

Nellie

I used to take that train line all the time. Kamishiro is direct to Matsumoto. You don't need to change trains (usually but that will depend on the train you get). It's something like an hour and forty five minutes. From Matsumoto station you can walk around the city a bit... not really all that interesting but the castle is a short bus ride/ longish walk. It would probably be a good day out.

Hi Black Mountain,

Thanks for the reply .We'll give it a go when we get there.Its going to be 43 Degrees Celsius in Wollongong and Sydney tommorrow!!! Cant wait to get to Hakuba next week.Is there anywhere else that would be good for a day out sightseeing???

Snownellie

• 2 weeks later...

Matsumoto would be a great day trip. Hakuba is fun but Matsumoto castle is one of the only remaining authentic castles in Japan. ie the castle is osaka has an elevator in it as where Matsumoto castle is complete with super steep staircases and all.

Check the train schedule carefully via hyperdia to make sure you dont have to sit and wait on the train for an extra hour though.