Looking into catching a daytime bus from kyoto to nagano but can't find any details on English websites. Anyone know if this possible or would someone do a search for me on the Japanese websites. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Or you could take the bullet train from Kyoto to Nagoya and Wideview Shinano from Kyoto to Nagano.. probably not as cheap (about 9860Y unreserved one way), but possible quicker at 240mins instead of 440mins

Have heard the Wideview Shinano is really nice trip but have a day to kill travelling so thought I might save a few yen, throw the bags on the bus and go straight through to Nagano. I haven't travelled through that area of Japan and I would think it would be a very scenic trip and I enjoy wandering around the food stops, but only if there is a day time bus.

I did the Nagano, Kyoto trip by train last winter (was using the JR pass to the max). Awesome train ride and heaps of fun. Would defineatly do it again rather than being on a bus...

Ajax may I suggest when you are in Kyoto to hire a pushie and ride through the back streets. The city is very flat and the roads are all grid like so you never have to ride on a main road, you can be one or two alleys off them. I had a day of doing that including going to the Manga musuem and the art gallery and it was awesome. You can hire the bikes in a few places and if I recall it was dirt cheap.

Ajax may I suggest when you are in Kyoto to hire a pushie and ride through the back streets. The city is very flat and the roads are all grid like so you never have to ride on a main road, you can be one or two alleys off them. I had a day of doing that including going to the Manga musuem and the art gallery and it was awesome. You can hire the bikes in a few places and if I recall it was dirt cheap.

Awesome suggestion! We did the same, such an awesome way to see the city.

Make sure you hire the jauntiest of mama chari's.......cycling in Japan just isn't complete unless you have a bike with a basket on the front :)

Make sure you hire the jauntiest of mama chari's.......cycling in Japan just isn't complete unless you have a bike with a basket on the front :)

and a cute Japanese girl on the back!

and a cute Japanese girl on the back!

Just don't let the cops catch you, the girl would have to be very young for the ride to be legal. (which might make other ideas very illegal)

The cops around here only seem to pullover someone when they are bored. I've seen them just drive past school kids and say something over the loud speaker. Even when pulled over people don't take much notice, seen them wait for the cops to drive off then off they go again.