I'm in French Alps (Avoriaz) for a weeks snowboarding with the family. I wish I was in Japan instead like last winter:

I'm a pretty incompetent snowboarder and the pistes here have highlighted that. No cruising down wide pistes, with a fresh layer of snow between runs and the only bottlenecks are at the ramen counter. No nightly soaking at the local onsen. I've been spoilt (mainly only ever ridden north Tohoku resorts when visiting family) and this week has been a rude awakening:

Very rude behaviour in the lift queues (people actually pushing my kids out of he way).

Fresh snow this am, runs moguled out by lunchtime.

Groups of skiers (boarders too but there are hardly any here) who line up across the piste at the narrowest point to admire the view/take photo etc.

So my positive message to all those in Japan is make the most of it you lucky b*ggers.

Thanks for that! We will be there next year. I feel your pain though. Spent 7 winters dealing with that rubbish boarding the Portes du Soleil. I will be sure to take advantage of my trip to Japan in two weeks :)

Sadly, the rudeness you describe could be almost any western ski resort.

Can't do much about the crowds or the runs being chopped up (no doubt any resort owner in Japan would love to have that problem!).

But together, there's two reasons why i and many others here keep coming back.

Sadly, the rudeness you describe could be almost any western ski resort.

Can't do much about the crowds or the runs being chopped up (no doubt any resort owner in Japan would love to have that problem!).

But together, there's two reasons why i and many others here keep coming back.

I know that the quiet slopes in Japan point towards a likely slow death of said resorts. My favourite hill in Akita had massive vert drop, lovely trails through the forest, serviced by a gondola and I had the pistes to myself at times. I'm not surprised it closed.

But I am truly shocked at the behaviour here in the lift queues. I realise its the busiest time of year but is it the same in the USA & Canada? Or is it just us Brits & Nihonjin that love to queue?

It is worse in France than elsewhere I think...

Chamonix ticked us off majorly, but right now we are in Tignes and it is not AS bad.

I think because the lifts move fairly quickly, there's a lot more terrain to head to (less bottlenecks), and surprisingly I think because there are more boarders. I know that sounds awful, but it is rarely the snowboarders in European resorts who are shoving through, skirting out the outside, or running their hire kit over your precious kit....although they are the main offenders of smoking in the middle of a crowded queue.

Japan definitely has less impatient queuers.

It's a shock when someone's rude.

I prefer that chilled and civilized queuing.

I was really ticked off this season in Australia when people were running over my board when there was 5cms of fresh to be had.

Made my mind up then and there that I will be making a fairly regular trip to Japan.

Sad to say the French are rude, agressive, selfish and uneducated (among other things) and visitors have to adapt to survive. One more reason why I love Japan and its people. God bless them. Terrain of the french Alps with Japanese snow and Japanese people would be heaven (assuming they do not rope-up everything :-) ). In the meantime Japanese terrain with Japanese snow and Japanese people is still heaven to me. Going for another serving with the kids today, yum.

It is worse in France than elsewhere I think...

Chamonix ticked us off majorly, but right now we are in Tignes and it is not AS bad.

I think because the lifts move fairly quickly, there's a lot more terrain to head to (less bottlenecks), and surprisingly I think because there are more boarders. I know that sounds awful, but it is rarely the snowboarders in European resorts who are shoving through, skirting out the outside, or running their hire kit over your precious kit....although they are the main offenders of smoking in the middle of a crowded queue.

Japan definitely has less impatient queuers.

It's a shock when someone's rude.

I prefer that chilled and civilized queuing.

This is my first experience of skiers running across my board. I'd say 80% of people on the mountain here are skiers and it just means its harder to board, esp. for the novices as we get down the mountain differently.

Sadly I think we may throw in the towel early & head home.

Wow Torihada, that's an extreme ending to your trip.

It's never been a trip ender for me.

I have very much enjoyed my trip, and there's not been a single collision in our group.

Few nicks on the snowboards, but nothing disastrous.

I've had people run across my board before, but none of it compared to the two lift line collisions I have seen in Niseko (which I love by the way). Both were snowboarders coming in too hot, one took out an adult male who still has issues with his shoulder years later, and the other took out a small child - everyone involved was on boards.

Because it is the Christmas New Year week it is insanely busy here in Europe. By the weekend I can guarentee it will quieter down dramatically - then the push and shove should reduce.

Mamabear

I know it seems extreme, it's just that the family have had enough. We've had 6 days on the slopes & we can jump in the car & be home a day early.

My kids learnt to ski in Japan and then went on to board. They've only skied in Japan and sadly they haven't enjoyed the experience here. C'est la Vie. We will ski/board when visiting family in Japan but I won't be dragging them back to the Alps again. Ironically we all enjoy mountain biking in the Alps & will continue to do so.

On a positive note its a big thumbs up for Japan from this family.

Although we have an extensive bucket list of destinations to tick off worldwide, I do believe it will be a while before we are back skiing Europe.

The little cub is competing in Russia in feb/march but other than that it'll be a good few years away I suspect.

Having our own little piece of paradise in Hirafu will make that the regular choice, with occassional bucket list adventures likely to the US and Canada next.

Good to try stuff out, but if you find a place you love and it makes you happy - no harm in repeat visits :D

I do miss the terrain of the Rockies and the Alps for sure, but not the queues, 'European charm' or having to seriously hussle for my powder lines.... That's why Nagano works best for me :-)

with occassional bucket list adventures likely to the US and Canada next.

Family snow hols aside, I visited Whistler bike park last summer & I'm never going to get an adrenaline rush that big on snow, a return visit is planned in 14. I thought Whistler was a fantastic place, don't know if its as chilled & as welcoming in the winter months though?

I've always had good experiences in Whistler....or any resort in Canada for that matter. Japan skiing speaks for itself but I would rate Canada as at least equal in most categories.

The Alps can't hope to compete with places like Mr Granview.

Yeah Mr Granview is a very special person, as is his wife, Mrs Granview ;)

I've heard she likes to be ridden hard and often... ;)

ha ha

As is their mother Mrs Grannyview

I've heard she likes to be ridden hard and often... ;)

she likes it when you ride deep.... :evilgrin: