So as you all know, I have a son who turned 2 yesterday. Wife and I came to an agreement that next season he can try skiing, not snowboarding, if we manage to find time.

The only problem is that he only does something if he sees me trying to do it, the old nature vs. nurture chestnut.

Does anywhere know of a place that teaches young kids and adults can join in? Is 3 too young to start?

Hey MIJ....no worries.....I got my daughter started at 3. Man..they are so cute at that age..... :lol: My advice is just drop them off at the school and disappear. Don't come back till they are done. If you're going to watch do it from a distance where they can't see you. Every place I've been to has a ski school but for the first few years we used the Sakka school right in front of the kids area at Sakka Happo-one. They were great.

Some of the Prince resorts have free lessons and rentals for kids, so that sounds like a good place to start if you can't introduce the kid yourself (sounds like you have never skied yourself?).

"Family lessons" tend to be expensive, from what I have noticed.

If you want to learn to ski as well, in order to share the experience with your kid, you're probably better off taking separate lessons yourself, as Chriselle suggests.

I am totally with Chriselle. Did the same with our two. The Midget (#2 son) started at two and a half, though I lied about his age. Kids always seem to do better when the parents are not there. They don't take long and they are there beside you. Then they grow and get better than you and call you a slow coach! Well me anyway :)

So as you all know, I have a son who turned 2 yesterday. Wife and I came to an agreement that next season he can try skiing, not snowboarding, if we manage to find time.

The only problem is that he only does something if he sees me trying to do it, the old nature vs. nurture chestnut.

Does anywhere know of a place that teaches young kids and adults can join in? Is 3 too young to start?

Your boy might behave differently once you're out of the way.

Adults are allowed to ride the magic carpet in the kids areas I've seen, usually after paying whatever fee the kids area charges (1000 yen at Hakuba 47!) , but like Chris I doubt you'd actually want to if you're also paying for a lesson. If you're paying for a lesson, stick around till he looks okay and then go and have some fun. Otherwise, skip the lesson and teach him the very basics yourself. Fwiw, the (Japanese) Happo School at Sakka takes four y.o and up.

I skied a bit with my son last year when he was three. At the very start, I think the main thing is finding somewhere a slope with an average of 5-6 degrees and a max angle of under 10 degrees and has plenty of room and is not some stupid narrow rinkan course. One Hakuba resort I won't name has a "family gelende" that is mostly over 15 degrees, so don't get taken in by names and green dots on course maps. Some resorts really do not have an appropriate run for teaching very young kids.

I've never seen a proper, non toy-looking snowboard that a three year old could ride. Burton might make one, but it'll be well pricey if they do. K2 and Head make good looking kid's starter sets but I don't think they start that young.