Merry Xmas all,

My first trip to Japan starts early February and I will spend a week at Nozawa then Hakuba then Shiga Kogen.

Im an advanced skier in NZ conditions and prefer the steeps and off piste. Had a taste of powder this winter in NZ and have decided to check out Japan with a pair of fats, the main objective being to master powder. Got a few questions:

1. I arrive Narita late Sunday afternoon, guessing I should catch a train to Tokyo Station and find a bed their after 14 hours travel. Early start the next day and catch the bullet train to Nozawa and maybe get an afternoon in - will it be a problem if I leave my luggage with a courier and catch the train into Tokyo then onto Nozawa with skis?

2. Where are the best off piste/tree runs in the resorts near where I will be staying? Will be skiing alone so will be safety conscious - I guess that when its dumping or dumps overnight the groomers/side of the trails will be a good start but where do I go when its all tracked out? Ive been reading the recent thread about rope ducking and I reckon unless Im with someone with local knowledge best avoid this.

3. If I go with a backcountry guide, when is the best time to sign up - tail end/next day after a significant snow fall?

4. Any clues if it is best to change money in NZ or Japan?

Thanks.

PS Im getting amped keeping up with the big regular snowfalls reported on SJ.

Hey

Welcome and hope you are well.

You can indeed courier your skis to the resort from Narita. It's called takyubin and will probably cost about 2000yen or so.

Changing money, is a tough question but I would bring cash already changed. The big hotels might be able to do it in Nozawa but no guarantee.

Yeah, change ur money b4 u get here, also cash is better than cards or trav cheques. Courier is no probs, just check their delivery date will be the next day. U can get the shink to Nagano station but you'll have to change to local trains or shuttle bus to get to Nozawa

It depends on what time you send the skis from the airport and what time you get to Nozawa.

It is possible to get them next morning if they are shipped before 5pm the day before but the morning slot for deliveries is anytime from 8am to midday.