Help for a N00b - Nagano Onsen or Hokkaido (Niseko)?

Sorry, I meant Nozawa Onsen, not Nagano Onsen in the title.

My friend (beginner) and I (intermediate) are planning a boarding trip up to Nagano area from Okinawa. Wanted some insight on which resort to go to, where to stay, etc.

Have surfed a lot of sites/forums/reviews for information, but don't feel I have a good handle on the best place yet.

RESORT:

We were thinking of riding at Nagano Onsen but I read there's a lot of flat areas and climbing between lifts? I dislike that as a boarder. Can someone confirm? Is there a better place you'd recommend in Nagano to board? Or should we head to Niseko in Hokkaido?

LODGING:

Nagano Lodge was full, they recommended Mitsubachi Maya Lodge to us, can anyone confirm if this place is okay?

GETTING THERE:

Have the maps and train/bus schedules from Tokyo to Nagano. Is it a pain in the arse to get there? Is it any easier from flying into Nagoya and going from there? How much time should we allow from airport to resort? 5 hours? Just wondering to allot time on our return flight.

Cheers in advance for your comments/insights. We can speak Nihongo and don't mind roughing it on tatami mats--we're just there to ride, eat & drink some, and enjoy the journey.

Edited by smoothrider

Sorry, meant Nozawa Onsen. Does it have some decent riding? I don't want to be coming out of my bindings and walking to get to any lifts. Have you been there?

You'll have no problems there at all! Nozawa is a fab place, plenty of snow and fun.

The place is a real, ancient, village which just happens to have a ski-jo. More culture there than you can shake a stick at!

It is easier to get to than a lot of other places (especially in Oz!!)

Take a look at the archives here, use the "search" and look at the resort reports, snow cams, and weather reports. As well, check out the accom on here (most decent places are listed here - SJ does a damned good job of keeping things up to date and accurate.)

• Like 1

Its generally fine. Keep your board waxed and you won't really have to unclip. Its flat at certain parts, but if its reasonably tracked you'll bomb through it. And if its powdery then you won't really be riding the paths anyway. You'll be too busy swimming in yamabiko or something. Its got a flat mid section is all but the rest of it is great fun.

I have boarded in Nozawa once (last year), and several times over the last 4 years in Niseko, Hokkaido. Like somebody else said, Nozawa does have some flat areas as it's made for skiers. Snow quality is good at both, but Niseko probably has more powder (too much for me actually).

However, a BIG factor I think you should take into account is the village culture. Nozawa is an older, Japanese ski village. It's beautiful, and has many free old school, and extremely hot local onsen bath houses. It's not just a ski experience but a cultural one, too. MAny of the places to stay are minshuku, which will provide meals. As I am vegetarian, last year I stayed at one serving temple style food with a large group of friends and it was perfect, and not too pricey.

Niseko on the other hand, is mini Australia. If you don't have much Japanese and are just after snow and a party villgae, with lots of eating out options, then this is the place to be. It does not feel like you are in Japan, and the local lingo is English.

Oh dear you are going to get some complaints about those last few sentences. ;)

I like Nozawa. I wouldn't say it's 'beautiful' though.

Cute village with an atmosphere, but outside of the little main area it's just like any other Japanese village or small town - not that attractive at all.

Of course everywhere always looks much nicer in winter.

Oh dear you are going to get some complaints about those last few sentences. ;)

I like Nozawa. I wouldn't say it's 'beautiful' though.

Cute village with an atmosphere, but outside of the little main area it's just like any other Japanese village or small town - not that attractive at all.

Of course everywhere always looks much nicer in winter.

I love the look of little Japanese towns covered in snow!

To be honest, although I love Niseko for the snow, and dining options, etc, being Australian, sometimes Niseko can be a bit too much for me. I have been in Japan several years though and so sometimes it's nice, but sometimes just too much Aussieness.

yeah....thats cos you've only seen em covered in snow........when the snow isn't there, those villages are like all towns and urban centres in Japan.....butt-ugly.

No, 4 years in the inaka of Fukushima, and many more in other parts of Japan, I've seen plenty of towns and villages. I think the point I was trying to make was for the person who will be visiting from Okinawa in the winter needs to decide if they want a more 'Japanese' snow destination or not.

• Like 1

yeah....thats cos you've only seen em covered in snow........when the snow isn't there, those villages are like all towns and urban centres in Japan.....butt-ugly.

No, 4 years in the inaka of Fukushima, and many more in other parts of Japan, I've seen plenty of towns and villages. I think the point I was trying to make was for the person who will be visiting from Okinawa in the winter needs to decide if they want a more 'Japanese' snow destination or not.

well you should know that Japanese towns and villages are crappy looking.....snow makes it look nice. :p

Just back from Nozawa and a 40cm dump on Sunday night. First time to a Japanese ski town other than Niseko and really enjoyed the place much more than Niseko. Stayed up top on Yamabiko most of the time as it was much colder up there. Tried the Onsen which I think were hot enough to cook lobsters in and nearly cooked me when I jumped in. The guy next to me said to try the "luke warm" bath next to the one I jumped in but honestly I couldn't tell the difference.

Highly recommended :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their posts! Will be in Nozawa Onsen shredding for 3 days 19-21 January (arrive the 18th). It's my shout if I bump into any of you at the bar...two blokes from Okinawa named Miles & Steve.

I'm a "Smoothrider"

Thank you again!

Heres a couple of things that you may find handy.

First, nozawa review from 2012. http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/blog/11/entry-95-nozawa-onsen-nagano-review/

Second my riding diary. I know its kinda me me me, but it should give you an idea of whats getting moguled up, areas to avoid, and areas to go play. http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/blog/11/entry-107-ippy-in-iiyama/

• Like 1