I also got this offer and was shocked at the taxes they lump onto it. 30k ticket with 90k fuel surcharge and taxes. They know how much the taxes and fuel costs so include it in the price.

Bloody idiots.

We got them here too, both Sydney & Melbourne have "cashless" tolls. Trouble is you have 24 hours to pay if you use one without the transponder unit in the car (it's just a RF thingy that can be read at high speed) but most casual users will not be home within 24 hours! Imagine a bloke like me, drives to Sydney to catch a plane to Japan and uses a toll road to get to the airport. Will I be able to pay the toll within 48 hours? Unlikely!

Some other scams of similar ilk are the cashless public transport things. Some of them are self-destructing if unused for more than 3 months, then requires a fee to "re-energise" and reload it. Again, a PITA for the casual user who lives far enough out of the city to avoid using the PT system for most of the time, but has to get into the CBD for some reason or other on occasion.

So if you know you are going to be using it and not be home within 24hrs, why not prepay? Seems a bit "thick" not to do it if the option is there.

I also got this offer and was shocked at the taxes they lump onto it. 30k ticket with 90k fuel surcharge and taxes. They know how much the taxes and fuel costs so include it in the price.

Bloody idiots.

It is annoying isnt it.

Does the tax and all the other stuff vary depending on the charge of the ticket, or is it fixed?

From what I remember, the flight companies negotiate fuel prices and sign a contract stating the cost that they will pay for a litre, for a set period. It's to prevent against price fluctuations and them from paying too much. Telegraph has a story here.

Taxes are fixed by the airports they land at. The airline companies know the costs already before they put the tickets online.

Wikipedia has an article about it here too.

This is what it says on the BA site when you look up a flight.

Government taxes and fees for the entire journey are approximately ¥71280 - ¥82600 per adult and are excluded from the prices above.

Why the range? For a specific flight I ask for. Or is that the same whatever I search for?

About 6 years ago I had the misfortune of trying to buy a ticket from No1 Travel. Of course, the listed ticket price was much lower than the actual price after taxes and fuel charges were added but the ticket was still quite reasonable, so I went ahead and made the reservation. I then had five days to make the payment in order to secure the reservation. About two days later I got a phone call from the sales rep informing me that the agreed upon price, which I had already received a written quote for, was going up in price by $20 because of rising fuel costs. I told them that I thought it was ridiculous and that I didn't think I should have to pay the extra price. They then informed me that they reserve the right to change the price at any point before the ticket is issued. In the case of e-tickets, this meant right up until you arrive at the airport because that is the point at which the ticket is issued. Because the ticket was still pretty reasonable I thought about continuing with my booking even though I wasn't happy about the extra price. However, I ended up canceling the booking when I found out that they wouldn't guarantee the price wouldn't go up again... it basically seemed that they could hold my ticket ransom even after I had made the payment because the physical ticket hadn't been issued to me yet. In my mind, that is fraud. I have no idea if they continue with that practice because I swore to never use their services again. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has ever had that kind of experience before.

also whats annoying is that the exact same flight, but in reverse, is different in price.....same airports, same fuel, different price!! bastards!

Bastards is the word!

The other one that got me this time is that the offer came with a big "invitation to Britain" from Alan Something, extremely grumpy looking bloke who must work as a Beefeater. As if I should give a flying one about who he is, or even need frankly embarrassing tourist promotion to visit my own country. I'm sure the fact that I'm British is one of their databases, right beside the email address they are so happy to fling stuff at.