• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Besniwod.....suggesting no alcohol is paramount to getting banned on this site.....I hope the powers that be let you off with but a warning....      

Sounds like a fancy name for getting older.

Being fit before you go helps....but sounds like you have pretty well got it covered. Glutamine can help with DOMS. You could always go old school hard core and drink bi carb soda before you go out (olympc road cyclists used to do it), it buffers lactic acid which causes DOMS, of course messing around with your blood PH is a good way to a heart attack.

Best thing for DOMS is more exercise, You'll get TEA, temporary exercise analgaesia.

I would just follow everyone elses advice, booze and bath.

Being fit before you go helps....but sounds like you have pretty well got it covered. Glutamine can help with DOMS. You could always go old school hard core and drink bi carb soda before you go out (olympc road cyclists used to do it), it buffers lactic acid which causes DOMS, of course messing around with your blood PH is a good way to a heart attack.

Best thing for DOMS is more exercise, You'll get TEA, temporary exercise analgaesia.

Anal......what?? :omg:

;)

:lol: likely get wicked stomach cramps and a rapid need to find a loo also :lol:

I stretch out in the morning before I get on the train and make sure I am wearing warm clothes. Keep moving on the train, to make sure the joints and muscles are not able to relax too much.

Stretch again when the gear is on.

Afterwards, a long soak in the onsen, whilst doing some stretches, with some sake. If there are any massage chairs, then I might grab one of them if I am still a bit sore. Seems to work for me.

for the nutrition side, I would say after a day of skiing a high carb+protein based meal.

This.

FWIW. I'm planning to apply what works for me for climbing to my snowboarding this season. The single best thing you can do (besides being more fit in the first place), is to consume a big hit of simple carbs and protein (4:1 ratio) in the first 30 minutes after exercising. I normally carry protein powder in the shaker cup and grab a 500ml of fruit juice at a konbini to mix. We'll see how that works out on the slopes. The 30 minute point is key. By the time you get off the slopes and back to the hotel it's not going to help as much. Probably easiest to pack a cliff bar and chow down on the walk home, with plenty of water.

Re: stretching, keep in mind you should warm up a little with some light activity before you start to stretch, or risk injuring yourself more than the stretch will help. Walking up that f'in hill to the gondola from Noz town center works a treat. Oh and vitamin I (ibuprofen) and other NSAIDs will also increase your risk for connective tissue injury. Stretching afterwards is good, as well as a lighter warm down lap if you can manage, instead of charging hard til the last lift.

Apart from that, yeah beer an onsen. Minus the beer if you can. It does make a difference. This is easier if you remind yourself that the only beer available at your typical slope is yellow piss water.

Cheers

-D

for the nutrition side, I would say after a day of skiing a high carb+protein based meal.

This.

FWIW. I'm planning to apply what works for me for climbing to my snowboarding this season. The single best thing you can do (besides being more fit in the first place), is to consume a big hit of simple carbs and protein (4:1 ratio) in the first 30 minutes after exercising. I normally carry protein powder in the shaker cup and grab a 500ml of fruit juice at a konbini to mix. We'll see how that works out on the slopes. The 30 minute point is key. By the time you get off the slopes and back to the hotel it's not going to help as much. Probably easiest to pack a cliff bar and chow down on the walk home, with plenty of water.

Re: stretching, keep in mind you should warm up a little with some light activity before you start to stretch, or risk injuring yourself more than the stretch will help. Walking up that f'in hill to the gondola from Noz town center works a treat. Oh and vitamin I (ibuprofen) and other NSAIDs will also increase your risk for connective tissue injury. Stretching afterwards is good, as well as a lighter warm down lap if you can manage, instead of charging hard til the last lift.

Apart from that, yeah beer an onsen. Minus the beer if you can. It does make a difference. This is easier if you remind yourself that the only beer available at your typical slope is yellow piss water.

Cheers

-D

Huh?........not likely. Beer, mud bucket curry, and a niku-man is probably more accurate.

Huh?........not likely. Beer, mud bucket curry, and a niku-man is probably more accurate.

Suit yourself, but I bring thee SCIENCE!!

---

Oh yeah 1 comment I omitted in the original reply:

... oh and stop being a pussy! DOMS feels good.

Suit yourself, but I bring thee SCIENCE!!

---

Oh yeah 1 comment I omitted in the original reply:

... oh and stop being a pussy! DOMS feels good.

Haha...well, to be honest I'm quite a bit closer to your diet than I posted. Whenever I go to the mountain my wife packs me a cooler of fresh stick veggies, fruits, lean meats and genmai. ;) But mud bucket curry sounds so much more gnarly...and (nasty)..

Carbs do give energy, but they also help spike insulin and very much aid in the muscle growth/recovery process, lots of studies done promoting post work out carbs.

Also if DOMS is an issue I find big doses of Omega 3 (especially with high DHA/EPA) and 200mb ibuprofen does an amazing job. Oh and obviously a couple of Asahi's in the onsn!

Carbs do give energy, but they also help spike insulin and very much aid in the muscle growth/recovery process, lots of studies done promoting post work out carbs.

Also if DOMS is an issue I find big doses of Omega 3 (especially with high DHA/EPA) and 200mb ibuprofen does an amazing job. Oh and obviously a couple of Asahi's in the onsn!

200mb of ibuprofen? mg maybe