I heard it from tradesmen but this may be a "only in some parts of the country" one. Here are two people describing their inspections where they saw kitchens being measured and light switches being counted.

http://hidekyan.coco.../post-0687.html

http://ameblo.jp/onu...0564417245.html

On a more basic level, the idea that you have to pay more tax for building a nice house that is not covered in the cheapest siding material is ridiculous.

If I were local mayor, I would have a contest and waive the fixed asset tax on the nicest houses and apartment buildings to incentivize people making more of an effort like they do overseas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Designed our house with shedloads of sockets for this very problem.   In fact, we still don't have enough....

Holes where alligator's live

Outside of the UK a lot of countries don't seem to use an earth! It is far safer for sure to use one.

When it comes to electrical wiring in Japan it is so far behind the UK, which is strange as most other things are so well advanced.

I think Japan is the only country where you also see wires hanging around all over the place in streets making the place look a mess.

I guess because Japan is only on 100v maybe they don't consider it a requirement, even though it should be.

Not sure for other countries that are on 200+ volts why they choose not to earth things!

It is not a voltage thing, the US has required earthed three-prong sockets for decades, and they only run 120 V. I had earthed sockets put in where I thought the computer would go, but too expensive to put them everywhere, which is what I wanted to do.

UK plugs are too big. They must be bigger than some ipods that get plugged into them. Tres sexy, NOT.

They hurt like @% as well if you stand on one.

Just a guess, but I'd suspect that a "flat-pack" house is a kit home - where you buy the whole lot as a single unit from a pre-designed/pre-built plan and assemble it yourself. You CAN pay a builder to play "jigsaw puzzles" with the bits, or you can do the majority of it yourself.

We chose the second option for our first one, then we designed our own (and then got the kit manufacturer to do the kit to our plan) and also did the majority of the building ourselves.

Only stuff we did not do ourselves is electrical & plumbing (because it is not legal to do that without appropriate licencing) and drywall plastering (which I think is an idiot's job!) and the granite benchtops. So, bricklaying, framing, flooring, painting, tiling, internal fitout, roofing, guttering and tank installation were all our own work! Oh, and we have done all the garden design/construction as well! (well, we will have when it is all finished - we've been in here for 12 years, but there are still things that are not completely "finished"!)