Going to Hakuba, could do with some advice..

Heading to Japan in Feb 2014 here too, only ever been to Niseko a few years ago before.

We travel to Kyoto Feb 5-12, then Hakuba skiing Feb 12-20.

Will browse this and other threads/resources for any tips, Cheers!

---

Also,

I just buy day passes. They cost a little more but for me it works great as I never know where Im going to ride except the next day and some mornings that changes...

By buying multi day passes, especially if they are consecitive days you can feel "forced" to go out. Hakuba has so many choices of good riding that just buying on the day seems to work well for some folks.

Yes, the advice we have indicates this as well, as for Day passes still the costs are quite cheap compared to what us Aussies are used to, especially with the AUD <-> JPY currency being fairly strong lately.

• 1 month later...

Hi Josh

The rental are all over the resorts. It depends on where you are staying. That time of year , don,t expect great gear. I have 2 friends who each owns rentals shop at Goryu-Tomi. They always restock at the beginning of the season. Rental do 10% discount deal with certain hotels in the resort. Like there is 5 to 7 villages each with there own resort. I start at the most popular southern resort. Kimoshiro, Iimore and Goryu Villages cater for ski resort Goryu-Tomi/ 47. Echoland, Hakuba and Happo Villages cater for HappoOne. and you also have Iwatake,Tsagaiki , Norikura and Cortina. all have Rentals.The shuttle system will get you to all the resorts. Like you ask about passes. again hotels do deals. I board all over the place. like crowded Sunday morning I hit Sanasaka or Minikata ( Both are cover by the All Mountain pass) for haft day for Y 2800 and no or less crowds. During the week on my days off I hit Norikura for Haftdays. Mate I hunt down good powder and have great results but I have a car. Don,t go under the rope it just encourages others who might have on snow craft who see the tracks and follow under the ropes and end up dead (3 at Goryu in 2 season and other 3 people during 3/11) people do dye. So your conduct might not kill you but can kill others . There is penlty of trees run at Cortina so head there if you want to head into the tree. The shuttle bus system is excellent and if you use them correctly you can get to all lift in the Valley before 8.30 most lift start at 8.30 except the gondolas they start early depending on the ski patrols.