Going to Hakuba, could do with some advice..

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster on these forums.

I'm going to hakuba in feb for about a week or so.

So far I've basically got all my clothing etc, but I don't have my own board/boots so I'm looking to hire when I get there.

Anyone on here know where the best place to hire gear is when I'm over there?

I've heard Spicy's are pretty good, for boots, bindings and a board (basic pack) its just under $200 AUD (172,000 Yen) for 6 days.

Is there anywhere else I can check out? (I'm a broke uni student lol)

Also I havn't been to the snow in Japan before, how much should I budget for lift passes/what are the usual rates?

Thanks,

Josh

Boots= 20k

Bindings=15-20k

Board=35k+

Depending on what board you want, you'd still come in under 172k

**edit: I see you misprinted in yen....200= 17200 yen, NOT 172000¥

My bad

Haha oops, typo on my behalf. Yeah it was just meant to be 17,200Y.

The prices above would be to buy?

Basically just looking for the best way to get a week of boarding in.

Yeah they'd be to buy.....to be honest you could do it even cheaper if you tracked down a Book Off shop. They sell 2nd hand gear and at the mo they are full of winter gear. If you're not TOO fussy about what you ride, you could get a board for about 10-20k, bindings for between 5-15k......maybe even cheaper

Ok cheers I'll keep that in mind.

In the case that I would hire gear as I'm just after the cheapest option, would anything beat Spicy's 17,200 Yen price for 6 days?

This price includes a board, boots and bindings.

Just not sure whether it's best to pre book now to guarantee my gear or whether to check out the hire shops when I get to hakuba.

Less than 3000 yen a day is pretty fair I think. I imagine there are slightly cheaper rentals around but the difference isn't going to significant I wouldn't imagine. Also, budget for around the 5000 yen mark for a days lift ticket.

• Like 1

Ok thanks!

About the lift passes, when I google for the all mountain pass, depending on where its from there are different prices.

Are these all the same passes just priced differently?

The Ridge has a 5 day pass at 20,500 Y

PenePanke has a 5 day pass at 23,000 Y

Is there any difference?

Finally is buying a 5 day pass the best setup?

I've heard you can get free meals etc if you buy them daily...

Sorry for being a pain with all the questions haha

Those prices are meh........ They are just charging you to use their season passes and 23,000 yen isn't much of a discount for committing to 5 days. Also, make sure you able to get a refund for any days you don't go. If not....no way. If you can find the ski + lunch set tickets they are a pretty good deal. I get mine through Club Happo (membership) and just print them out. My wife handles all that though.

Awesome thanks! With Club Happo is it worth becoming a member for the week? I couldn't find what the costs associated were.

But either way I'll check that out or the meal deals..

Cheers for clearing this all up for me, super helpful!

Thanks TubbyBeaver I'll check out those shops when I get there! Loving the inside knowledge.

Pie Eater, where do I find the giveaways? In a forum or do I enter comps etc? Would love to hear about this.

Cheers

Those prices are meh........ They are just charging you to use their season passes and 23,000 yen isn't much of a discount for committing to 5 days. Also, make sure you able to get a refund for any days you don't go. If not....no way. If you can find the ski + lunch set tickets they are a pretty good deal. I get mine through Club Happo (membership) and just print them out. My wife handles all that though.

That sounds like the All Mountain ticket - not season passes.

Stemik...maybe...I don't know. The couple places I stay the manager just gives me one of his passes at a discount for the weekend or so I'm there. I just give it back to him when I'm done. That's probably a no-no but they don't seem to mind as it's a win-win.

Josharoon...I'm not sure about the club Happo membership. I don't think there were any fees involved but I'll check with my wife. Also, their coupons certainly aren't every weekend so the chance of a coupon being offered for the one week period you are there for is probably fairly slim...

yes, many of the small places can do that with what is called an owners pass. Usually at only one or sometimes two resorts.

The All Mountain can be used at all the 9 resorts in Hakuba and Otari Villages. At the some of the smaller resorts it includes a lunch voucher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just buy day passes. They cost a little more but for me it works great as I never know where Im going to ride except the next day and some mornings that changes, if there is not fresh snow nor stashes left I generally dont go out or if I've been in 902 jumping up and down to Shintaro's tunes until 3am etc etc By buying multi day passes, especially if they are consecitive days you can feel "forced" to go out. Hakuba has so many choices of good riding that just buying on the day seems to work well for some folks.

• 2 weeks later...