• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt if not enough people are willing to spend that much on it, they will have to bring their prices down.

I reckon they'll probably be ok though. More than a few people with stupid money go to Niseko.

:)

Sorry but Cat skiing isnt meant to be for all people. It is priced high for a reason. A good used Cat will be 100000 dollars. Reapairs are not cheap.

The experience is limited to certain numbers a day to save the snow. at 6500 yen a pop they were using the Cat more like a lift than a shuttle bus

for a small group.

Sounds expensive for what you get.

I'm pretty sure there is a guy near Niseko who offers towing via snowmobile to access untouched powder and is only 13k(could be less), apparently much better than cat skiing.

Unfortunately I don't know his name / details, but you should be able to book him through your lodge/hotel.

...but they only charge $275US for the day... not $500 or ¥35,000($420US). It's also $1300 more expensive to rent the cat. The terrain looks quite different too.

Thought we were discussing terrain not cost.

Having skied both, they're more similar than they are different.

Yeah, I wasn't being clear. A bunch of us actually did this cat tour in 2007 or 2008 (or the year after... bad memory!). We only did a couple of runs though at 2000Y a shot. The terrain is flat enough that it would be slow going in deep snow. 6500Y for a day is a good deal for sure and they probably could have charged more but there is no way I'd pay what they are asking for now.

I saw the price myself a while ago and nearly fell off my seat. Having boarded Weiss when it had lifts running and cat skiing several years later I thought no one will pay that ridiculous amount. Having had time to think about it, i think it will do Ok. There are plenty of people who have the money on holidays who want "the experience". Niseko is far more crowded than it was 10 or even 5 years ago so the miles of untracked powder stories are rare at best. There is also the issue of percieved value, "if that is how much they are charging, thats how much it must be worth". Only time will tell but I believe plenty of cashed up families from China,Honk Kong and Malysia will be using the service.

If it succeeds what is signals to me is Niseko really is becoming what a lot of people wanted. A major international resort with all the trappings (and often associated gouging). I'll leave it up to you guys as to whether that is good or bad or neither.

Not mainland China. They've cancelled a lot this year due to the Diao Yu's. And they've been messing up Japanese restaurants and cars in China, even though they're owned/manufactured by Chinese. They're nuts.

I tried to go to Weiss in late Jan and drove all the way out there to find the operation wasn't running despite it being listed on websites etc. I just wanted to try it.

As pointed out already - the terrain isn't very steep when you see it up close (just like it looks from the top of Hanazono) and it might not be worth this sort of money.

You would be better off organizing a backcountry tour of one of the other nearby hills like Nitto if you want un-tracked powder.

A good used Cat will be 100000 dollars. Reapairs are not cheap.

I assume USD. That is not a lot of money. A crappy BMW X5 costs more than that here. And I am quite sure the X5 will die in snow. The cat operators are having a laugh.