Sake Appreciation Thread 2012/2013

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sake is just like water flavoured with the gift of life. Have it cold, but never on the rocks, the melt would corrupt the taste.

on an oishii program, they just say oishii all the time. Anybody could do that.

I'd like for one person to just screw their face up and bellow....."SHITE!!"

This thread has inspired me to start taking tasting notes. That in mind, I picked up something other than one of my usuals this evening: Shiragiku, from Ishioka, Ibaraki.

gallery_10844_227_81316.jpg

Relatively low-cost, about the same price per bottle and from the same town as one of my regular quaffs (Hakushika), I decided to give it a shot.

First impression: has flavor, not quite as dense as I like, but definitely not one of those watery tanrei types.

Second impression: bit of a sugary aftertaste... Hmm, let's try this one heated. Yes, drinking it atsukan bring out the sourness better. Still, think I prefer it cold. The more one drinks, the better it tastes.

Overall: better than cup sake, with some character, but not quite as good as some others for the price. Would be better without the sugary aftertaste. Perhaps overall 4 out of 10?

• 2 weeks later...

I 'pretended' to drink some sake on New Years Eve.

Seems like it is the ladies family tradition to Kansas with a special sake.

As I don't like it, I declined but ended up accepting and pretending to sip.

How silly, but it was one of those situations where it would just be a fuss if I drove the point home.

Katachi desu ne.

Pie eater...I was just going to post on that very subject. According to my sister-in-law who is "in the know"....sake does not have a vintage. In fact, after a comparatively short time sake looses it's "yummy-ness". However,,,,,, she did tell me that after I mentioned I had that special bottle of G8 sake. :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Tasting report: Tsumugi Bijin Karakuchi, from Jousou-shi, Ibaraki.

gallery_10844_227_77114.jpg

1780 yen for the bottle above. Flavor is... karakuchi, startlingly enough. As advertised on the label, no sugars added, so no nasty sweet aftertaste. A bit on the tanrei side, but yet just enough denseness for my taste. Complete lack of tinniness or cloyingness. Just dry, a bit sour, not too complicated. I'll give this one a 6 out of 10.

Notes on my grading system: 5 is the minimum that I would buy again, and is represented by Hakushika. A decent, budget, daily nightcap. Tsumugi Bijin Karakuchi is a step above that, mainly due to lack of negative elements, but not thick or distinctive enough to go beyond that.

Incidentally, regarding the previous one I rated, Shiragiku, I have been told by folks who claim to know, that it is actually supposed to be a decent sake. But I didn't like it, giving it a 4, mainly for the sugary aftertaste. In fact, in retrospect, I might even downgrade it to a 3. It really didn't improve with repeated drinkings for me. So clearly, my judgment is suspect. Caveat lector.

I bought a few bottles last time I was up in Yuzawa a few weeks back, and cracked open one of them last weekend.

It's a red bottle, and very very nice. I shall take a picture of it later with some tasting notes.

Like wine... Sake MUST be dry... AND in a nice bottle. I just can't bring myself to buying those "one cups". It just seems like the last step before buying sterno and drinking it under a bridge somewhere.

I bought a few bottles last time I was up in Yuzawa a few weeks back, and cracked open one of them last weekend.

It's a red bottle, and very very nice. I shall take a picture of it later with some tasting notes.

Sounds interesting. Look forward to the report.

419623_10151296386038299_1197988720_n.jpg

Ah, Jozen Mizu no Gotoshi. I am familiar with that one. It is actually the one I had in mind when I wrote earlier:

Don't like the ones that have been refined to the point of tasting like water -- if I want something that tastes like water, I'll drink water.

It's certainly easy to drink, maybe too easy to drink -- get drunk without realizing how much one has had.

Just tend to prefer stronger-flavored ones, myself.

That ぽんしゅ館 looks like a fun place!

「お酒とお米のテーマパーク」 :lol: :yummy: