Sake Appreciation Thread 2012/2013

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sake is just like water flavoured with the gift of life. Have it cold, but never on the rocks, the melt would corrupt the taste.

on an oishii program, they just say oishii all the time. Anybody could do that.

I'd like for one person to just screw their face up and bellow....."SHITE!!"

comes into its own though on the sloepes, hey?

;)

Don't we all? Or so we'd like to think.

Actually, Smart Cheese seems to be a bit of a mogul monster come winter. Can't really keep up then, truth be told. :ashamed:

• 3 weeks later...

Nikko Senjogahara Oni Koroshi Junmai Ginjo:

gallery_10844_227_334129.jpg

From Tochigi City, Tochigi.

Made using water from subterranean streams under the mountains of Nikko.

Rice polishing level: 58%

Dryness: Yaya karakuchi.

Not bad. There is a certain slightly bitter aromatic element, that I think I have tasted in Tochigi sakes before, but cannot identify.

I will dub it "Tochiginess" for now.

No negative elements. A little bit denser in flavor and I would give it a 7. As it is, it is not quite as good as Tanigawadake Junmai Ginjo Second Challenge, to which I gave a 6.5, so I will go for:

Somebody mentioned 十四代 from Yamagata, that stuff is amazing. One of my mates and I went to a Kaiseki place in Gion and was fortunate to try it there. I also recently enjoyed a great sake from Mie called Zaku (作) which I'd like to have again.

Somebody mentioned 十四代 from Yamagata, that stuff is amazing. One of my mates and I went to a Kaiseki place in Gion and was fortunate to try it there. I also recently enjoyed a great sake from Mie called Zaku (作) which I'd like to have again.

On my list for some day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hanaharu Junmaishu:

gallery_10844_104_101691.jpg

From Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima.

2,000 yen for the 1800 ml bottle above.

I was a bit hesitant to try this, as my only previous experience (that I can remember) with an Aizu sake is Eisen, which is one of those sakes that falls into the "too watery" category for me. (Note, though, that Delta Airlines serves Eisen as its in-flight sake, and I always make a point of requesting sake when flying Delta in order to support their support of a Fukushima brand. I have to give them that. :thumbsup: )

Fortunately, however, this is nothing like Eisen. (Which I nevertheless encourage you to order should you ever fly Delta, just for the principle of it.)

Rice: Aizu-produced Maihime 100%

Polishing level: 55%

Alcohol level: 15-16%

Nihonshudo: -3.0 (which would actually make it mildly 甘口, but according to their label and my taste buds, it is 中辛口...)

Acidity: 1.8

The flavor is fairly dense, somewhat karakuchi. On the acidic side, as indicated above.

Some fragrance, reminiscent of Okunomatsu, but not as aromatic as that.

Fills the mouth and nose, sour honey, no clunky notes.

Much better than I expected.

Better than Tanigawadake Second Chance, to which I gave a 6.5.

Not as good as Okunomatsu, to which I gave a 7.

So:

I would definitely happily buy this one again.

Speaking of Eisen, here is the thing itself:

gallery_10844_104_481089.jpg

As previously mentioned, too watery for my taste, so I can only give this a 5 at best. Maybe even a 4.

But I do have to give Delta Airlines credit and appreciation for serving a Fukushima sake on their flights. :wave: :thumbsup:

Thanks Metabo! interesting reports.

Thank you! Happy if ithey are found interesting.

How much sake you get through?

Hard to say exactly. Don't often drink large quantities at once, more the occasional glass as a nightcap.

May have a new one coming up tonight, though.

Asabiraki Junmaiginjo Hiyaoroshi:

gallery_10844_104_18780.jpggallery_10844_104_15821.jpg

From Morioka City, Iwate.

This is a seasonal label, designed for Autumn release. Wikipedia says that "Hiyaoroshi" is the name given to such sakes, which are brewed in the winter but not bottled until the Fall, because they are usually bottled without being heated to Pasteurize them (being instead stored in cool places during the spring and summer). However, the label tells us that this brand is Pasteurized anyway (twice, even), to stabilize the character.

Rice polishing level: 55%

Nihonshudo: +1

As can be seen from the label, it is mildly dense, but not shitsukoi. (Too bad for me -- I like shitsukoi).

A bit perfumy, in a good way, kind of reminiscent of Okunomatsu.

Interestingly, it has a kind of spiky effervescence to it, reminiscent of Hitachi Hanagasumi: http://www.snowjapan...post__p__473634 (which I also saw at the store today, and now suddenly have the urge to try again some time), though not as dry.

I gave Hitachi Hanagasumi a 6, and if this one were denser I might give it more, but as it is I will give it the same rating as Hitachi Hanagasumi:

What sake would you recommend for a total beginner?

Good question. I suppose it depends on what other kinds of drinks you like. Do you like dense-flavored stuff (single-malt scotch, for example), or would you rather not taste the alcohol (daiquiri, for example)?

If the former, maybe start with some Funaguchi Kikusui, which can be found in cans almost anywhere. It is a bit on the sweet side (or maybe sweet-and-sour?), but has a very strong flavor. Be prepared for stinky oyaji breath afterwards. (Always a plus in my book, incidentally.)

If the latter, some Jozen Mizunogotoshi, which can also be found in cans in many stores. As its name implies, it tastes almost like water. Or "subtle," if you prefer. (I don't.)

Better yet, try both, and see which way your tastes incline.

I would not bother with the big generic labels, such as Gekkeikan or Shochikubai. They are pretty 中途半端 in my opinion. Start with the extremes and see which direction you want to take from there.

After that, the best bet is to work your way through whatever local labels there may be. Since your header indicates Tokyo, I guess that would be Tokyo breweries, plus surrounding prefectures. Actually, being in Tokyo, you may get a better selection of far-off local sakes than I do. I pretty much only get decent coverage of northern Kanto and southern Tohoku labels, with a smattering of big labels from further afield (and the big labels are not usually the most interesting ones). I'm guessing there would be some awesome specialty shops in Tokyo.

Niigata also has a lot of really good sakes. Basically, look for the big rice-growing regions.

Basically I am not too keen on strong drinks.

Don't like whiskey.

That may well mean sake is out of the question....I really don't know.

Jusr haven't been keen on what I have tried.

Then try Jozen Mizunogotoshi.

jozentop_03.jpg

It is very 上品. The Yukie of sakes?