I am jumping on the give away band wagon too. Have been coming to Japan for a number of years now for the snow, visiting Niseko, Furano, Hakuba, Tommanu and have viewed the snow japan site for lots of useful stuff. Thanks and apologies for not posting sooner. Nothing like the temptation of a freebie to motivate this old boarder.

We missed out big time last year, as we were over cautious with worry about the power plant fall out and went to Utah to try and get our powder fix. Great terrain there and would have been really good in trees if it had snowed a bit more. Locals were calling the worst start to season in years however Japan was puking. Back to Niseko again this year. Fly in New Years Day.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but trying to source a better powder board and looking for Ride Slack country ~161 snow board after reading reviews. I havent had much luck sourcing in oz. Wondering if available in Japan? How to order/ buy? Not too worried about losing warranty

If you are stopping over in Tokyo, have a look around Kanda/ Ochanomizu area.... That's the winter sports shop area. Else you could check out rakuten and see if they'll deliver to your hotel (obv ask permission from the hotel first)

Or you can be right bad bastard like me and order from the States because its miles cheaper

I am jumping on the give away band wagon too. Have been coming to Japan for a number of years now for the snow, visiting Niseko, Furano, Hakuba, Tommanu and have viewed the snow japan site for lots of useful stuff. Thanks and apologies for not posting sooner. Nothing like the temptation of a freebie to motivate this old boarder.

We missed out big time last year, as we were over cautious with worry about the power plant fall out and went to Utah to try and get our powder fix. Great terrain there and would have been really good in trees if it had snowed a bit more. Locals were calling the worst start to season in years however Japan was puking. Back to Niseko again this year. Fly in New Years Day.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but trying to source a better powder board and looking for Ride Slack country ~161 snow board after reading reviews. I havent had much luck sourcing in oz. Wondering if available in Japan? How to order/ buy? Not too worried about losing warranty

Welcome :wave:

+1 for best value is shopping from the states and using a shipping forwarding company.

I bought my skis local, and they cost a bomb, it was upsetting to find what I could have got them for from the U.S.

I am all for supporting local retailers, I really am, but I can't even begin to justify anything that is over 100% mark-up. I tend to keep my small ticket value ski items local.

it's worth noting that you may find some good 'out of season' deals. ex-demo etc. everythign will eb near full price from U.S. seeing as the ski-season is just starting off there.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been practising a little Japanese for this trip even though written in Romanji.

Hajimemashite. Dozo yoroshiku

Still no luck with board but will keep searching or try when I arrive.

Just had a look at the Guess where is this thread. WOW! Amazing images. Lots more places to explore.

How do they justify doubling the price here? I got a snowboard at the end of last season for half price at a local shop and that was the same as getting it full price in the States. Ho hum. Pdoull, maybe see if you can find last season's Slackcountry on sale in Japan. You might be able to find one in Tokyo or online. You might also want to look at the Salomon Sick Stick from last season as they have only changed the graphics for the new season.

oh my god! a question i love:

It comes under the heading "the cost of doing business". Im not saying that as an attack, i put it in quote marks deliberately because people stop explaining at this point and assume theyve answered the question. What it often means is advertising, paying people to supply it to random shops to get exposure and pushing for prominence in the windows.

Basically the magic formula for boards in the states is roughly MFG cost + 40% equals the wholesale costs.

Wholesale + 40% = MSRP.

Throw in another 40% for suppliers/distributors, taxes and shipping add in "the cost of doing business caveat" and you have the Japan MSRP ;) (very roughly).

Ive been assured that its all genuine and not at all massively inflated retail prices. The result is still only 40% for the retailer, and 40% for the MFG at the end of the day assuming the board sells. Its not like 80% for the mfg and 40% for the retailer like we all maybe imagine it to be.

Or so im assured. Welcome to the forums.

Petition though to change the thread title to something more akin to an "introduce yourself" sticky thread. :)

Yes thats the board (can tell by the graphics -the more I look at it the more I gotta have) but I cant read Japanese to be 100 % sure. Only concern is if its wide which i dont think I really need/ want . Just going on the advice of reviews/ sizing there. Thanks for all the advice on how to purchase.

How do i petition to change thread? Very very newbie to online world :wave: but need to win lift pass to board japan powder. Getting closer now.

Throw in a cat skiing/ powder guide comp and I'll run out of download time :p

Ippy, thanks for answering and sorry for going off-topic.

I guess my mistake was comparing the prices with those in the States. I just compared some of the Japan prices with the prices of imported boards in the UK and they are about the same.

Plus, it's much more appealing believing there is a conspiracy against customers to pay higher prices.

The strange thing is that when goods from the EU are exported to the States they don’t get much more expensive or are actually cheaper. The same is true of some Japanese goods that are exported to the EU or the States.

I suppose part of the reason is just that there is a stronger retail culture of aggressively lowering prices in the States.

Anyway, enough of that. Bring on the powder! We have been getting stupid amounts of snow over the last week so let’s hope the early snow keeps on coming and we will get an amazing early season.