Hi anyone skinned Iwaonuopuri?

From the looks of things, Route 58 is closed (in winter) past Goshiki. I'm guessing you could just park the car at Goshiki and skin from there. Anyone got any relevant info e.g. creeks to avoid, best aspect to skin up and ride down, time needed etc + any other relevant info?

I've done Nitonupuri (1 peak back towards chisenupuri).

Thanks.

Yes drive up past Goshiki and park before you hit the snowbank at the end of the road :) If you have a driver you can ride off the Nth face of Annupuri, the gully skiers right of the ridge between the back bowl and nth face offers best snow... very top can get pretty icy and wind swept on the true nth aspect out of that gully, but you can traverse around from the east side if you run out nth along the spur from the peak.

As you walk out from the road end or looking left if coming over from Annupuri the ridgeline (or just below it) on the left of the south face of Iwanipuri is a good route IIRC.

Don't necessarily need a car if the peak gates are open. Drop off the back onto route 58 then hike up Iwao. It is quite a steep climb from that side.. I've ridden it back down to rte 58 (great steep run) and friends have done it on the goshiki side as well

To get back to Niseko, you can hike past goshiki onsen (leaving the road on your right) and over the shoulder to drop back into Annupuri

All BC disclaimers apply. You die it's on you, and watch the avvy forecast.

Thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:

To get back to Niseko, you can hike past goshiki onsen (leaving the road on your right) and over the shoulder to drop back into Annupuri

I didn't even think of this, I'd like to do this in reasonable weather (and get an early start).

I'm guessing after leaving the road near goshiki you would just traverse around to the left and that would spit you out at the bottom of the back-bowl (kozan-no-sawa) roughly where it flattens out and the big rolling half pipe starts.

The first picture is from the base of Mt Annupuri (looking up the Nth face, that which faces Iwaonupuri) just off where the road would normally go through past Goshiki,(Goshiki is to the right of frame) the ridge on the right is what you would need to hike over to the back bowl. The second picture is just a closer view of the gully on the right just below that ridge.

Tex_24.JPG

Tex_25.JPG

The first picture is from the base of Mt Annupuri (looking up the Nth face, that which faces Iwaonupuri) just off where the road would normally go through past Goshiki,(Goshiki is to the right of frame) the ridge on the right is what you would need to hike over to the back bowl. The second picture is just a closer view of the gully on the right just below that ridge.

Tex_24.JPG

Tex_25.JPG

Nice 1 TEX! :wave:

• 10 months later...

Tex_24.JPG

Tex_25.JPG

Tex, i'm definitely interested in this route, but pictures are expired... can you please upload them again?

Not the originals that I had up on here... they have been lost along with the computer they were on, but these are captured from a video I took of the same aspects. Just to be clear these are taken on the way up Iwaonupuri looking back to Mt Annupuri... after lobbing over the back then shoeing Iwaonu... On a clear day the routes are quite obvious and no doubt others would be out. In bad weather forget it or take a guide.

Capture1

Capture2

Going Up!

Going up Iwaonupuri

Riding Dow!

Riding down Iwaonupuri

Going Home!

Heading back to Annupuri with Iwaonupuri in the background

Best attempted when visibility is good. The views are way more awesome too, especially if you ride down (towards Goshiki Onsen) an hour or two before the sun goes down. It's a short trek back towards Annupuri. from Goshiki onsen (30 minutes max), hike up over the ridge and drop back into one of the bowls that will bring you back to the base of the Annupuri gondola.