Hi All

First trip to Japan and I would like to do some back country skiing. How do emergency coms work? I will be in Hokkaido. I understand cheap prepay mobiles are not available, can you hire an epirb? Preparing for safe travel beacons, shovels, probes, first aid ect. Just want to know if I can cover my butt if it goes pear shaped or is there no BC rescue available? Thanks in advance

-D-

If you go with a tour company, they will hook you up with everything you need, for a price. I don't know of any outfit that would just rent you BC gear and see you on your way.

As far as I know EPIRB is not even legal for use by the public. Some people have it as they would rather be alive to deal with pissed off authorities over this.

Whatever you do, if you are not loaded for bear, don't go hunting for bear. Same thing applies to the backcountry.

Thanks for the advice. We will be bringing all of our own gear to Japan. Happy to provide for my own safe travel without a guide just trying to determine if the worst were to happen are we on our own?

I am confused EPIRBS are illegal in Japan? Is there anyone heading out for a hike on a regular basis that uses something besides a local phone? Cheers –Dan-

• 5 weeks later...

Are SPOT devices available/legal in Japan?

Depending on what phone you have you should be able to use yours.

Going BC in Japan without a guide initially would be something I would not do if this was my 1st trip. Perhaps you have years of experience in 12m+ of snow.

Its not just the obvious risks. Here's a pic from this season. Hot spring fed creek under the snow in the BC... Lucky its the start of the season with a couple meters of snow and not a 10m drop which it will be later in the season.

http://www.snowjapan...04-man-in-hole/

Hmm yes you must have struggled with that.

Not sure humans fit in with the "Monkey in a bucket" theme, and the snow isn't a container of any kind either is it.

So ultimately a good choice I think.

:thumbsup: