Patrollers at Hakuba are going crazy busting people.

So yeah, that pretty much says it,

patrol are busting people left and right at hakuba, and today all of my friends got busted, they got their passes back, but they got all of their names recorded, etc. i have been hearing alot of stories about people getting caught, mitch from snowbeds is banned for life, again!

so yeah, take it for what it`s worth, buy your 1000 yen magnet pass or whatever, but if you go off course now, there is a good chance you will get nabbed, peace.

I never said anything about foreigners, just people, so save it, igloo.

I have seen plenty of japanese people off course in the trees (in fact, way more japanese than foreigners, and seeing as the patrollers at Goryu, 47, and Cortina (the ones I know about) just wait at the run-outs for the off-course sections, I am guessing that everyone gets the same lecture, but I haven`t spoken to any japanese who have gotten nabbed.

i just think they are making a real push to enforce their rules right now.

I think I know the answer to this, but it might bring up more discussion... how much consistency is there in patrol at different resorts? and do they have specil "patrol qualifications" whatever they are or what?

Wow if thats true that is the worst that its ever been. There has to be a reason if there is a patroler watching this site then lets here why.

In fact what is the reason for the closed runs. Avalanche terrain not included, knowing that 75% of the stuff is not avie terrrain.

The most dangerous thing I've seen at 47 is when they send the patrollers down under the quad to test the snow stability. Several times I've seen them go down there alone with noone watching out for them. They ski across gingerly exerting little pressure that actually tests the slope, and stop for their kickturns well before the relative safety of the trees to the side. As soon as they're facing the other way, they're off again asap back across the other way. It wouldn't be surprising for one of them to get swept away.

I wonder if they stop under the cornice and poke at it with a pole....

NoFakie - I`m with you on that one. Not only do they do it alone, they don`t carry beacons either, their beacons are all stashed in the Patrol Office. More worrying is the fact that they do it under the Goryu Gondola, which has been looking pretty prime for a slide recently. The funny thing is, I got busted big style the otherday(at Goryu). The head of patrol gave me a guilt trip about the patrol having to risk their lives carrying out `Avalanche Control`(zig-zagging death dance), all because foreigners couldn`t obey the rules and stay out of slide paths.

Quote:
all because foreigners couldn`t obey the rules and stay out of slide paths
If this continues, "foreigners" are going to be banned from the slopes. Cheers mate.
 Quote:
Originally posted by SKI:
 Quote:
all because foreigners couldn`t obey the rules and stay out of slide paths
If this continues, "foreigners" are going to be banned from the slopes. Cheers mate.
It's good to see you post your wet little comments on other people's posts too. Foreigners banned, yes that's very likely to happen...

A sport, a thing, fagurt
 Quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
The head of patrol gave me a guilt trip about the patrol having to risk their lives carrying out `Avalanche Control`(zig-zagging death dance), all because foreigners couldn`t obey the rules and stay out of slide paths.
Shouldn't this kind'a of in bounds avie contorl be being done first with explosives first thing in the morning after a dump?

The biggest killer within ski areas is in fact not avalanche, but tree danger, (if I remember the stats correctly!) whether it be skiing into a tree, or getting stuck headfirst in a tree well. Kinda hard to see someone whose got in trouble outta bounds too.

Might just have something to do with the anal patroling, not just the avi danger.

miteyak, I think the danger of hitting trees is probably quite high, but after reading about the tree-well danger, I've been on the lookout for it and simply haven't seen any places where that danger exists. Maybe the kinds of coniferous trees that form tree-wells aren't present in many parts of Japan...? Having said that, Hakkoda looks like that may be a danger.

i havent seen any real 'tree-wells' in Japan, nothing compared to B.C but be prepared to be in big trouble if you end up in one. head-first or not they are so dangerous and worth keeping well clear of.

does anyone else think there seems to be less snow on trees in japan than elsewhere?

Yeah you dont see much of those "snow monster" pics that seem to be in the magazines and on vids. Maybe thats why there dont seem to be so many tree wells - the snow is on the ground not in the branches.

Mind you there are a lot of "widow makers", big lumps of snow that seem to form in a tree and then bake in the sun and fall off, making your partner a widow(er) if youre underneath it. Those are pretty dangerous - but hey so is driving a car, esp here!

Ive seen plenty of tree wells here my friend got stuck in one this year, right side up. You cant see the dangerous ones cause they have uncompacted snow around the base of the tree.

I have not seen as many as there are in Canada but then again not as much is open either.

Ski your an idiot ban Gaijin no way who are you a patroller. Snapper stay out of the Goryu gondola area its asking for trouble. If you took the run from top to bottom they can have a guy on your ass so fast.

HAs been confirmed that some patrol are monitoring this site, watch what you say and stop hiding coward.

Trees can slide Ive seen it happen after the fact not a pretty site, But there has to be a start zone or a reason for it to slide. example things could slide to ground with a heavy rain like we had. Depending on whats under the snow holding it there. There are some areas on Goryu that are dangerous but 47 does not have anywhere near as many.