I'm looking at some new bindings for a Burton EST channel-type board and given that I might want to use the bindings on other boards too, can't see any reason at all in general why anyone would ever buy an EST-only binding? Is there really any performance difference between non-/EST bindings?

I think the main selling poin is its tweak ability......the channel apparently makes it easier to dial in your exact feet angle etc....I could be wrong but that's what I've taken from the whole thing

Unsure.

We've only used EST bindings on EST boards.

One of which was a FAIL for security of hold.

MAY have had something to do with the fact it is was the board and binding set of my monster-child.

6ft3 110kg (105 now) muscle bound 15yr old.

I'm a bit cynical as well as Burton seem to like to try and make their stuff exclusive, kinda like apple do with their electronics. Often the generic spare discs won't fit Burton bindings etc

Unsure.

MAY have had something to do with the fact it is was the board and binding set of my monster-child.

Wow, glad s/he ddn't run into me when it all went wrong!

Unsure.

He I think :friend:

I have heard it was for flexibility as well haven't used them so can't comment

seemore

Unsure.

HE :lol:

Not that he was a danger to anyone at any time.

There is definitely an issue when your binding is rotating from +15 to - 15 and back again, but all the boys have the ability to ride safely (although not all that elegantly) with thier back foot out, with boots and binding straps loose, etc

They are much better than I am at it - they are good skills to have so that you are not in a flap or out of control when things go wrong.

My binding wouldn't latch properly once this season which left me with my back foot top strap very loose - I certainly wasn't going my fastest, or doing anything specky, but I made it down int/adv runs without any dramas, fixed it at the bottom over a coffee...

I think Seemore is spot on about th flexibility. I seem to recall there being a big sales push behind them for that reason.

I am not a fan of EST at all. It is the number one reason why I bought the Roxy Eminence C2 BTX instead of the Burton Feelgood with EST.

I have Cartel EST's on a Custom ICS board. It is really easy to adjust your angles on the go, which is helpful if you find that you have an old knee injury playing up and need to put less pressure on it.

Having said that, I think my next board/bindings will probably non-EST, as I'm really enamoured with the K2 cinch's I tried a couple of years back. The speed of flow's with the control of traditional bindings.

If you do get them, I would recommend taking some Loctite (thread locking stuff) along so the bolts don't wiggle loose. Not that it's happened to me, but I'm a mechanic that prefers to be safe than sorry.

Sciclone I was after the K2 Cinches about 3 years ago, but couldn't get any in my size in Japan, especially not in the higher spec (metal not plastic) - so I ended up with some Fastecs. They have been A-MAZING! But they are getting old and tired and actually locked up on me twice this Southern Season.

When I was in Chamonix in January the main board store there had dozens of options ALL in Fastec/cinch tech. Not a single tradition ratchet binding in the store!! I was stunned. And all the pretty Colours too!

I spotted a new model in August in Jndabyne that had the combo tech, ratchet and convenience - but they were 2013s, just had one pair in a small size for display (or they would already be on my board).

Going back to Cham on 27th Dec.... I think I migh go SHOPPING as soon as I get there! ;!

Sciclone I was after the K2 Cinches about 3 years ago, but couldn't get any in my size in Japan, especially not in the higher spec (metal not plastic) - so I ended up with some Fastecs. They have been A-MAZING! But they are getting old and tired and actually locked up on me twice this Southern Season.

When I was in Chamonix in January the main board store there had dozens of options ALL in Fastec/cinch tech. Not a single tradition ratchet binding in the store!! I was stunned. And all the pretty Colours too!

I spotted a new model in August in Jndabyne that had the combo tech, ratchet and convenience - but they were 2013s, just had one pair in a small size for display (or they would already be on my board).

Going back to Cham on 27th Dec.... I think I migh go SHOPPING as soon as I get there! ;!

which is the MOST important thing!! ;) :lol:

My friend bought cinch the same time I bought Fastec, she has only just traded up to a new board and bindings (they only had ratchets available at the time and she misses her Cinches)....Japan, France, Switzerland, Austria, Australia and New Zealand - never had snow stuck underneath.

I've riden K2 Cinch for 5 years now and they are fantastic because you don't have to sit down to strap up. Put your boot in, pull up the strap and off you go. I'd never go back to trad bindings.

I've riden K2 Cinch for 5 years now and they are fantastic because you don't have to sit down to strap up. Put your boot in, pull up the strap and off you go. I'd never go back to trad bindings.
I said the same mudguts, and will be looking to another pair of convenience bindings in a few weeks....BUT when I hired in March (long story) I could only get traditional bindings, and I didn't sit down to do them up either. You get used to balancing with the convenience ones and it is a little slower, but not much harder to do it with ratchets as well.

No cold snow covered ass for this old duck!! ;)

I didn't find the k2's bad for snow or icing up any worse than my current traditional bindings.

I have gotten better at putting on traditional bindings whilst standing up. but depends how my knee holds up, because it doesn't have the strength it used to.

Yesterday I waxed my board and attached my new Flow NX2-SE's.....Flow has made an all in 1 disc that fits the 4x4, 3D and the Channel system that comes with the bindings
Now that's smart marketing.

Yesterday I waxed my board and attached my new Flow NX2-SE's.....Flow has made an all in 1 disc that fits the 4x4, 3D and the Channel system that comes with the bindings

When you going TB Xmas or before?

seemore

Saturday!! I'm, gonna brave the wind and blizzard conditions and go up to Kagura. The lower mountain has manageable wind forecast....the good stuff up top doesn't but hey ho, 1st day out, shake off the summer cobwebs from the snow legs then hole up in the onsen with a beer or 2. It beats sitting in the house watching shite TV and eating pizza (well not the pizza part!)

1st serious trip is 4 days between Xmas and New year.....I'm going up to Rusutsu