Yeah, I woke up at 3am to get ready and noticed that it still hadn't started snowing in Myoko yet... and that it had started in Kanto... I envisioned a shit drive on the Chuo and 3cms of fresh snow in the hill. Certainly not the kind of conditions that would get me stoked to drive 4 hours by myself...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another update to my original forecast! It has been a difficult one to predict this year as everything was late and changing.   Things that indicate a severe winter is on its way have appeared over

JMA predicting cooler than average for Dec mid Honshu down and a bit warmer in Hokkaido. They are prediciting similar for Jan and Feb but more than month out is really getting into crystal ball stuff.

You know what snowdude, I think you are right. We shouldn't let facts blur our vision of the truth. Listening to facts is for weaklings who can't fabricate their own evidence. Guys like you and me,

Ya, from all the hype I was expecting a repeat of last months Chuo mayhem and was pretty much counting on staying home today with the pass being closed. Relieved I guess it didn't materialize but strangely somehow disappointed... :lol:

Well Australia just went through it's hottest Jan on record.The average mean temp across the country was 29.7 degrees with the average mean max being 36.9 degrees. In South Australia at a hellhole called Moomba they got up to 49.6 degrees. It wasn't too bad down where I live though with an average max temp of only 24.7 degrees. We had quite a range over the month here recording as low as 4.8 degrees on the 15th and as high as 40 degrees on the 4th.

In terms of simple amount, I don't think snowfall in Hakuba is down by that much this year.

What has happened though is we've had lots of snow at not really cold temps, making the snow falling at village level more moist and sticky than normal. Think good snowman snow, not powder.

I've not had to climb on my storehouse roof at all because the snow on it has been heavy enough to slide off by itself at the first bit of warming. Normally it just builds up and up.

What has also happened is that we've only had one so-so fuyugata big storm all season, the type that can bring 1.5m or so in two to three days. The kind of snowfall that everyone remembers.

I've had to do snow-clearing (yuki-kaki) fairly often in relatively easy amounts, but no roof shoveling (yuki oroshi) at all.

It was only snow-dude's prediction, but it certainly hasn't been "extremely cold" for sure!

Hahaha!

Well here in Yamanashi we have had a lot more snow this year than usual, and January was much colder than average and one of the coldest in a long time!

But the weather has been up and down and very patchy, which I did mention, I also stated that there would be spells of very cold and very snowy weather, which there have been, I did not say it would be continuously cold!

Hokkaido has had some very cold weather this year, maybe not record breaking but none the less some nights getting down to minus 30oC. Of course -30 is not unusual for Hokkaido, but in recent years hasn't been exactly normal either.

Having said that I was expecting more frequent extreme cold events over a larger area, not the localized patchy events that seem to have happened a lot this year.

Sorry it hasn't worked out quite like I expected, but that is all due to the unstable climate that we have now making predictions very difficult. As the climate over the next few years becomes steadily colder the weather patterns should become more regular.

Looking at the world as a whole, the northern hemisphere this year has had some extremely cold and extremely snowy spells, albeit patchy!

Winter isn't over just yet, let's see what happens for the remainder of this winter.

I think I also provided an in-depth and totally vague forecast that covered all bases back before the snow started falling and so I would officially like to claim that I was totally correct!

I fully expect winter like conditions to continue for some time, with some more snow falling. Not exactly sure how much but definitely some. And more in places.

It will also be cold in places. But warmer in others. And definitely colder in some places.

Also, winter will be followed by spring - bringing with it spring-like conditions.

I will try to continue providing my quality forecast services well into the future.

They are absolutely free!!

:thumbsup:

Hokkaido has had some very cold weather this year, maybe not record breaking but none the less some nights getting down to minus 30oC. Of course -30 is not unusual for Hokkaido, but in recent years hasn't been exactly normal either.

Temps got down to -30 in central parts of Hokkaido every year I lived there. It is completely normal. Once again you show how utterly ignorant you are of climate and weather. It's a good laugh though.

And still waiting for the world to really start cooling down snowdude. From NOAA

The year 2012 was the 10th warmest year since records began in 1880. The annual global combined land and ocean surface temperature was 0.57°C (1.03°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F). This marks the 36th consecutive year (since 1976) that the yearly global temperature was above average. Currently, the warmest year on record is 2010, which was 0.66°C (1.19°F) above average. Including 2012, all 12 years to date in the 21st century (2001–2012) rank among the 14 warmest in the 133-year period of record. Only one year during the 20th century—1998—was warmer than 2012.

36 years in a row of above average temps. Can't really see any cooling trend yet! :rollabout:

With the cooling effect of back to back La Nina events now well and truly over I expect 2013 will be warmer than last year and the warming trend to only continue.

Yes... this is entirely Snowdude's fault. I demand an explanation.... :grandpa: Or at least a quality apologetic bow.

Hahaha!

Well here in Yamanashi we have had a lot more snow this year than usual, and January was much colder than average and one of the coldest in a long time!

But the weather has been up and down and very patchy, which I did mention, I also stated that there would be spells of very cold and very snowy weather, which there have been, I did not say it would be continuously cold!

Having said that I was expecting more frequent extreme cold events over a larger area, not the localized patchy events that seem to have happened a lot this year.

Sorry it hasn't worked out quite like I expected, but that is all due to the unstable climate that we have now making predictions very difficult. As the climate over the next few years becomes steadily colder the weather patterns should become more regular.

Looking at the world as a whole, the northern hemisphere this year has had some extremely cold and extremely snowy spells, albeit patchy!

Winter isn't over just yet, let's see what happens for the remainder of this winter.

That isn't much of an apology there snowdude ;) For some ideas on how to apologise, http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/20368-tepco-they-are-very-sorry/page__hl__tepco__fromsearch__1 or http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/22614-an-apology/

Yes... this is entirely Snowdude's fault. I demand an explanation.... :grandpa: Or at least a quality apologetic bow.

Hahaha!

That isn't much of an apology there snowdude ;) For some ideas on how to apologise, http://www.snowjapan...__fromsearch__1 or http://www.snowjapan...614-an-apology/

Haha too funny!!!!

I assume snowdude is scripting a "chilly" rebuttal.... :sj-lol:

Had thought about it, but waste of time talking to GN, he is just a F*+?ing global warming alarmist who thinks putting up some shitty data here in the forum will prove it's warming when actually it isn't!!

He obviously doesn't live in the real world, because if he did he would know that many people in Europe, Asia have died AGAIN this winter due to EXTREME cold and TOO much snow and this trend has been getting worse over the past few years and it will continue to get worse, while all these money grabbing warming alarmists governments try to prepare everyone for a non existent warming!

It has even snowed in Vietnam this winter, somewhere that never ever gets snow, but I guess he will say it is global warming making the snow! LOL

For a while it was fun to let everyone see how stupid this muppet is, but now it is just plain boring so I finished with him!

If I'm an alarmist what are you? A conspiracy peddling, ignorant piece of shite? You have never studied any science let alone climate science in your entire miserable life. And yet you think you know more than those who've spent lifetimes researching and studying the subject. You disgust me.

And once again you show you're utter ignorance. It snows in a part of Nth Vietnam quite regularly. You are an absolute ignorant fcuck snowdude. You're like a religious zealot. No amount of science will ever sway you and none of your claims are based on any sort of evidence or rational thinking.