So I've found what seems to be a decent deal on a week stay at Appi Kogen. I've never been there and have looked through the trip reports here and haven't found any for Appi.

Anyone who's been have opinions or info that might help me decide whether to check it out or stay away?

Cheers

Before answering maybe you can explain a bit what you are looking for. For example are you skiing, snowboarding, in or off piste?

Generally Appi can be devided into 2 areas; one area has long fast, wind covered, lifts. The other area is old with short and ultra slow chair lifts.

It is very big contrasts. The old lifts are probably dating back from early 80-ish technology. On the otherside the new lifts have perfect standard and are a pleasure to ride.

Further, Appi is kind of steep in the upper parts and then it gets flat in the lower part. Some pists are extended very long into the flat area that it is really questionable. Fortunately the steeper area is really good; ranging from steep black into nice pleasurable red.

It is difficult to predict if you would find one week to long in the Appi ski area.

Please let us know what details you are looking for.

Thanks for the info. There'd be 2 of us going, snowboarders of intermediate level. We're not really interested in steeps, back country, park etc., just nice uncrowded runs where we can work on improving our skills. Lack of nightlife isn't an issue for us either, as we're usually too knackered after a full day of boarding.

I've done a bit more research and watched a few videos of Appi and it seems it would be suitable as long as the conditions are decent. The only thing that I'm concerned about is getting bored of the place, being there for a week, but I'm sure we can live with that.

I think I'll go ahead and lock it in as the "early bird" package I'm looking at ends today.

Cheers

I been there in very windy and snowy conditions. Thanks to the wind cover lifts it was still very good and the staff groomed lifts and slopes very well.

The wind covered chair lift infront of the base loge is dedicated to Snowboarders. No footrest. The connecting slope is a nice gentle blue one. It is also the main flood light slope in the evenings.

The fast long wind covered chair lift all the way out to the left in the system is connecting to a very nice long red sope, which I enjoyed a lot.

How much are you approx paying per night?

Thanks again s5804. Sounds good and I'm looking forward to getting there. I like to try out at least one place I haven't been to before on each visit.

We paid ¥8950 per person per night for twin room in the grand hotel main building, including breakfast and daily lift tickets.

That's a damn good deal! Where did you book? (Not especially fond of Appi, but love a good deal :lol: )

I booked it through an Australian tour company called Japan Package. Normally I get the missus to organise trips through Japanese companies as we just assumed it would be cheaper, but this worked out cheaper than she could find there. The choices of resorts that the Australian companies do packages for is pretty limited though.

If you are going to have some transportation while up around Appi, there are a couple of other ski areas you could go to. Hachimantai is pretty close to Appi and fun. If you want to get ito some serious awesome powder, Hakkoda is about ~1.5 -2 hours away.

• 1 month later...

Generally North East Japan ski-jo's are uncrowded even on weekends! As intermediates who want uncrowded runs, Appi is a good choice! Even though a lot people go there on weekends, the place is big enough to spread out everyone. Lift queues are almost non existent(especially in the second and third area). Just beware of days where the Gondolas shutdown due to winds (this is not so uncommon there and it is one of my main gripes about this place.) How many nights are you staying in Iwate? Are you going to be driving?

If you are going to have access to a car and if you get bored of Appi here are my recommendations:

Okunakayama Kogen - small local hill but with a bit of variety. You can get morning or afternoon lift passes for 1500 yen. The morning pass goes from about 8:00 to 12:30, and the afternoon pass is 12:00 to 4:30.

Iwate Kogen Snowpark - Another excellent place for intermediate riders. The sidebanks are really fun to surf on!

Tazawako Ski-jo in Akita Prefecture - wide open runs, great views on a clear day, and excellent hot springs in the area.

Geto Kogen - Nice place for powder if you will be willing to drive a bit more.

Amihari Onsen & Shizukuishi - I've never been to these places but heard some good things about them.