You can get prepaid soft bank sim cards but they are for voice calls and phone email only. You also need a basic old school prepaid phone to operate it. They won't work on an iPhone. As far as I know the only way you can get a sim card with data is to sign up for a 24month contract.

Ah and I bet you thought that Japan was going to be some incredibly high tech society? :sj-lol:

One of many myths about Japan that Aussies have...

Yeah, I now realise its a very common misconception. Not sure what Im going to do now. Maybe I'll just get a prepaid data sim and use Skype, Viber and Whatsapp.

You might have to buy a prepaid softbank phone, make sure the SIM is a USIM. Try Don Quijote stores, you can get the phone for about 2000 yen plus 3000 yen of prepaid. Then take out the SIM and put it in your iPhone. Don't tell them that's what you're going to do of course.. caveat - cant' confirm this works for an iPhone 4, but it does for 3. I haven't got time right now but if you're still stuck by tomorrow PM me (or post here again) and I'll try and find out more from the folks that have tested it....

Then again, in some respects it is.

Inaka internet connections in Japan smoke Australian connections. Just one small example.

That's not a technology issue though, it's one of trying to connect up a huge continent with only 22 million people compared to connecting up a few small islands of over 120 million people. On almost any other measure though on the whole I found Japan to be decades behind Australia in the take up of new technologies.

And toilet seats clean and blow dry your arse with a musical accompaniment .....how hi-tech is that??!!

Still can't get ATM's to work on Sundays tho!!

Would prefer sim card that works in iphone 4.

Now excuse me for a second, I'm off to try and find the blow dryer on the toilet seat.

Sunrise, iphone 4's have mini sims. I have some language apps and other really useful stuff on my phone, so im pretty keen to keep it if I can.

Well, I reckon there might just be a little bit of technology involved.......

We're finally getting fibre optic throughout Aus but it's costing something like $40 billion. Definitely not a technology issue just one of political will to actually pay the money to get us into the 21st century!

And toilet seats clean and blow dry your arse with a musical accompaniment .....how hi-tech is that??!!

Now excuse me for a second, I'm off to try and find the blow dryer on the toilet seat.

Don't use the blower. The stinky gases will be stirrred

Well, I reckon there might just be a little bit of technology involved.......

We're finally getting fibre optic throughout Aus but it's costing something like $40 billion. Definitely not a technology issue just one of political will to actually pay the money to get us into the 21st century!

We're still on ADSL 8M. BUT, fibre optic is getting installed next month.

Beer vending machines that are functioning with stock. Clearly an indication of an highly evolved society.

Sunrise, iphone 4's have mini sims. I have some language apps and other really useful stuff on my phone, so im pretty keen to keep it if I can.

Ah yes, that's what the issue was, starting to remember now - I think you can cut the SIM on a regular prepaid to fit. I'm sure you'll find that info on the web. I'll have a bit of a hunt over the weekend to find what I'd seen about that being done over here.

Inaka internet connections in Japan smoke Australian connections. Just one small example.

That's not a technology issue though, it's one of trying to connect up a huge continent with only 22 million people compared to connecting up a few small islands of over 120 million people. On almost any other measure though on the whole I found Japan to be decades behind Australia in the take up of new technologies.

not in music or fashion!!

Australia, definitely behind the rest of the west by about 20 years and Japan by about 5-10

yeah and I'd like bacon to be real bacon, but hey....we can't get everything we want

not in music or fashion!!

Australia, definitely behind the rest of the west by about 20 years and Japan by about 5-10

Because we're not shallow and vain? Possibly why our economy is still going so damned well compared to all other western nations and Japan? :p

• 1 month later...

Any up-dates for rental of 3g(or 4g) sim cards for a 3 week visit? Would like to have data as well as text and calls so I can navigate etc.Is Softbank any good away from the cities?..Cheers..Dave