Hi Ralph

:wave:

You do to Yamanouchi town in Nagano at the base of the Shiga Kogen area and less than an hour from Nagano city but in the other direction from Hakuba and so more like 2 hours from there but less in good conditions.

Are you driving Ralph?

http://www.snowjapan...jigokudani.html

Must get back there this season.

http://www.snowjapan...-february-2011/

They're brilliant!

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to go up there in beginning of january, i'll be visiting Honsu for 3 weeks (then moving to Hokkaido for 1 month of snowboard, can't wait! ), do you think it's doable without a car? my plan was moving by train mostly, and buses if needed.

When i'm in the area i could hit Habuka for 2 days, must convince my girlfriend first hehe

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get on an organised tour it can be done for 10,000Yen/person. They visit the monkeys, zenkoji temple and somewhere else (but I forget where). You can book this anywhere when you get to Hakuba.

do you think it's doable without a car?

Would recommend getting a car for the day and hit up some of the other places around, can get a car for the day for JPY 5-6k.. There are some great onsens in that area!

The monkeys are pretty cool, very hard to take a bad pic.

24354311.png

• 4 weeks later...

Been there yesterday, you really can't go wrong with monkey pics, i got nice ones even with my phone! They really don't care about people, it's unreal, not even flashes seem to disturb them. I'm still against people flashing in their faces, but if it's ok for them..

I am in Shiga Kogen at the moment....it seems like the snow monkeys are worth checking out, even if it means missing out on a half day of riding.
While in Shiga head up to the bakery at the bottom of Giant run quite a few monkeys hang out there. No swimming though. I think Snow junky put a video up of them some time a go.The bakery was very good also will be back there soon to check it out.
I am in Shiga Kogen at the moment....it seems like the snow monkeys are worth checking out, even if it means missing out on a half day of riding.
While in Shiga head up to the bakery at the bottom of Giant run quite a few monkeys hang out there. No swimming though. I think Snow junky put a video up of them some time a go.The bakery was very good also will be back there soon to check it out.

I saw the snow monkeys at the bottom of the Giant run in Shiga Kogen today. I took some great pictures and videos. I won't need to visit the monkey park now and will enjoy another full day of riding! :D

• Like 1

Is it possible to see the snow monkeys after a day on the slopes? Say setting off at 3PM?

Im pretty sure its a no. I think we were the last ones up there the first time, and the park closed just after 4 or something. First time we also had to park quite far down. Second time (pre snow) we could get pretty much up to the resort itself with around a 5 to 10 minute shank, but first time it was a good 20 minute walk.

And just in case you dont know, the train station at Yamanouchi is called Yudanaka. Its the red line and ISNT inside Nagano station if youre arriving from tokyo or somewhere. You have to exit the station into the main town center (turn right as you come out of the main ticket gates), and then once you reach the stairs/escalator take the right hand stairs. Youll have a little drug store on your right. Walk towards the main road and youll see what looks like an underground passage across the road. It is! But its also the place you catch the train to the monkey park from.