• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 24 : SATURDAY 08 DECEMBER 2012

18 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Niseko Hanazono opened for the winter this morning and it seems it was the hot ticket as Niseko Hirafu and Niseko Village were deserted after the first lift cycle.

With my experiences in Miharashi this past week I didn't think the Strawberry and Blueberry Fields snowpack would be set up with no skier / boarder traffic to date.

Word on the street is I was wrong and the Hanazono powder was creamy and smooth with big features to pop off and very accommodating landings.

Today's turns were made with long time ski partner Ian MacKenzie and newly arrived in town Hamilton from Washington State, USA by way of Tokyo.

Hamilton is mixing cocktails and sharing stories at Maki Lounge - on the first floor of Sekka - this winter.

It was the first time on snow this winter for both Ian and Hamilton so we lapped the Center 4 chair and the gondola for the first hour.

The grooming at Niseko Hirafu was average at best which is very disappointing considering over 2m of snowfall and the lack of traffic, so it wasn't long before we were skiing the ungroomed and the trees.

The powder wasn't as light as yesterday but there were still loads of great turns to be made in Onsenzawa, Miharashi and Konayuki.

It started snowing around 2pm and with cold temperatures and over 50 cm forecast between now and Wednesday the coming week is set fair.

DAY 25 : SUNDAY 09 DECEMBER 2012

19 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With all four areas of the Niseko United open, Niseko Hirafu was pleasantly quiet for a Sunday.

I had the opportunity to spend another day on the mountain with 9-year old skier Kai Martin and 11-year old boarder Conrad Mitchell and I jumped at the chance.

Not literally, but they certainly did.

We lapped the Center 4 and Hirafu gondola getting powder, pillows and air in Konayuki, the old lift line, Miharashi and the Hirafu terrain park.

Kai warming up in the old lift line

MikePow_1604.jpg

Conrad warming up in the old lift line

MikePow_1605.jpg

MikePow_1606.jpg

And a little higher

MikePow_1607.jpg

Kai going a little higher

MikePow_1608.jpg

MikePow_1609.jpg

Conrad getting up and down in Miharashi

MikePow_1610.jpg

MikePow_1611.jpg

Kai launching and landing in Miharashi

MikePow_1612.jpg

MikePow_1613.jpg

MikePow_1614.jpg

Great day out.

Fun to ski with them and watch them eye their lines. There's no substitute for starting early and being brought up in the mountains.

Thanks for your patience boys, when you just wanted to rip.

Great stuff Mike. It is always humbling to see kids riding better than I can, whether it is in the surf or on the snow, but it is always an inspiration to see how much fun they are having, and helps me to simply enjoy being out there riding. :thumbsup:

Of course, some days it just annoys the crap out of me :lol:

Nice!! I wish I learned to ski/snowboard when I was that young. I wasn't even aware you could DO skiing in Scotland until I was in my late teens. My father was strictly a football guy so it was my big brother who introduced me to the joys of sliding at 19yrs of age. When I have kids I definitely wanna get them started as young as possible so that its 2nd nature to them

DAY 26 : MONDAY 10 DECEMBER 2012

46 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Yes you read that right, 46 cm (18") of dry, light Hokkaido powder in the last 24 hrs.

As of today 304 cm (120") has fallen at MQ

The deck and van were buried

MikePow_1615.jpg

MikePow_1616.jpg

Sumi making trenches

MikePow_1617.jpg

but not as much as this car left overnight in the Alpen car park at Niseko Hirafu

MikePow_1618.jpg

The excitement at Center 4 was palpable and the mad rush down Super course was exciting to watch.

Spent the first two hours of the ski day playing the model for Glen Claydon getting some deep powder shots.

Then it was off to Chitose to meet Nerys who's back on Hokkaido for her third ski trip of 2012 but the first of the 2012/13 season.

Watch this space!

DAY 27 : TUESDAY 11 DECEMBER 2012

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Cocktails by Hamilton at the Maki Lounge with Ian MacKenzie, Andy & Pam Laidlaw, and Nerys yesterday evening followed by dinner at Niseko Pizza was the perfect start to Nerys' Hokkaido holiday.

Hamilton's Secret Martini comes highly recommended.

Nerys & I woke to a bluebird powder day in the Niseko Resort Area but I took the tough decision of driving on by and heading to Kiroro for Nerys' first day on snow this season.

Nerys learned to ski in Kiroro in February 2012 and in my experience 'familiarity breeds comfort'.

By the time we got to Kiroro the sun had disappeared and it was snowing heavily.

Exactly the same conditions when she first got on skis.

We'd been shopping in the close season and Nerys was in new boots - Head Edge +8.5, the boots she rented last season - and on her first set of skis, the Rossignol Temptation 82 (132-82-119 in a 152 cm length).

Both performed with aplomb in the very mixed conditions we experienced over the course of the day, from perfectly groomed runs - some with a 5-10 cm covering of new powder the consistency of talcum - through to knee deep tracked powder.

Great to see Nerys get right back into the flow despite 8 months off skis

They've added a few menu items to the day lodge, this one's Szechuan style bean curd with rice

MikePow_1619.jpg

"It's just like riding a bike"

MikePow_1620.jpg

MikePow_1621.jpg

All in all an excellent first day back on skis.

Nerys & I woke to a bluebird powder day in the Niseko Resort Area but I took the tough decision of driving on by and heading to Kiroro for Nerys' first day on snow this season.

you're a stronger man than I.

Edit: on the plus side, I just took a peek at the webcams, looks like another blue day, I hope for you there's still plenty of untracked to be had.

Edit: on the plus side, I just took a peek at the webcams, looks like another blue day, I hope for you there's still plenty of untracked to be had.

after yesterday my raccoon tan is coming along nicely

was very busy in the morning with what seemed like every local and tourist out to make the most of the blue sky day. in the more accessible areas the 20cm ish of fresh snow was tracked super quickly into a choppy leg smasher

by midday it was almost empty, was rare to see another person on a run.

but even at 2pm i was still getting some fresh turns in the more out of the way areas. the snow had started to show a bit of a crunch tho from the sun beating down on it all day.

after only 3cm last night, the sun, and tracked out stuff yesterday, i was too lazy to head out today. interested to hear how it was tho.

2 blue skys in 2 days. how rare!

DAY 28 : WEDNESDAY 12 DECEMBER 2012

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

We drove away from another bluebird day in the Niseko Resort Area this morning, but today we were rewarded with blue skies, sunshine and fresh powder of our own at Rusutsu.

I've never seen the resort so quiet, but the deserted slopes and pockets of powder on the fringes of the perfectly groomed pistes were just what Nerys needed for her second day on snow.

I ventured in little further and there was plenty of fast, untracked, knee deep powder to enjoy.

We also got to enjoy wonderful views of the Niseko Resort Area, Mt Yotei, Shiribetsudake, Lake Toya and the Pacific Ocean.

Throw in frost & snow encrusted birch and it made for a fabulous day.

12 for 12/12/12

Nerys with West Mtn, Hotel Rusutsu and Shiribetsudake in the background

MikePow_1622.jpg

Nerys skiing Heavenly View on Mt Isola with Lake Toya and the Pacific Ocean as her backdrop

MikePow_1623.jpg

Nerys skiing on and off Heavenly View

MikePow_1624.jpg

MikePow_1625.jpg

MikePow_1626.jpg

Nerys in Narnia

MikePow_1627.jpg

MikePow_1628.jpg

MikePow_1629.jpg

MikePow_1630.jpg

The deserted Heavenly View

MikePow_1631.jpg

"Where do you want me to turn again?"

MikePow_1632.jpg

MikePow_1633.jpg

And in the evening we had a couple of drinks at Black Diamond's 12/12/12 party in Higashiyama.

DAY 29 : THURSDAY 13 DECEMBER 2012

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After two great days on the mountain and a lateish night at Black Diamond Lodge, a day off snow was the call for today.

Breakast done we went through The List:

Food shopping at Max Value in Kutchan

New thermals from Homac in Kutchan at a fraction of the ski shop prices

Nerys had custom molded orthotics/foot beds made by Ned Buckley

Ned's based in Rhythm Snowsports on Hirafu-zaka (the road heading up to the Alpen Base area)

We'll report back on how they feel after the next couple of days of skiing

Swapped my Dynafit bindings from my 173 cm Movement Jams (136-85-117) to my new 173 cm Coreupt The Caspers (112-79-105) at Takiguchi Sports in Kutchan

I've really been wnjoying the narrower platform of my 170 cm Head Supershape i. Magnums (121-71-107) and this next change is taking the narrower platform to it's next stage

I'm either going to Dive & Thrive' or 'Drown & Frown' in the powder. Only time will tell!

Lunch at Prativo in Niseko Higashiyama

They offer a lunch special for 1,500 yen which includes unlimited tea, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, salad bar, two desserts, and a choice of 1 main course - normally 1 meat, 2 fish, and 1 vegetarian

Excellent food, excellent value and excellent views of Mt Yotei. Well worth a visit

Apres drinks at Maki Lounge is quickly becoming part of our daily routine

Great welcome from Hamilton, warm atmosphere, and very interesting & delicious cocktails

Quiet night at home with dinner, a bottle of Malbec, and catching up on Homeland.