• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 124 : MONDAY 18 MARCH 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 7

Drizzle and grey skies at MQ so a lie in and a rest day.

For lunch Nerys & I went to a small Japanese French restaurant between Kombu and Chisenupuri, Chez Doudou.

It's been open just under a year but this was the first time we've eaten there.

Lunch runs from 11.30 am to 3.00 pm with a 2-course set menu available for JPY 1,300

From the Quiche Lorraine, seafood salad and homemade pork pate on yesterday's first course, Nerys chose the seafood and I chose the pate.

Both were excellent with the seafood salad sneaking it.

For main course Nerys chose the Cod Brandade and I selected the lamb and tomato stew on couscous over the roast chicken.

Nerys was two for two today, the cod was perfectly cooked and the sauce very moreish.

For an additional JPY 900 we had dessert and coffee, Nerys having the Apple & Prune tart and the nougatine glace for me.

The food was excellent, the presentation exemplary, but the service was very slow.

The chef is a 1-woman band - at lunch at least - taking the orders, cooking the meals, serving them, and washing up.

If you're in a rush don't bother.

If you have nowhere to go and all day to get there, then I can't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.facebook.com/chezdodo69

DAY 125 : TUESDAY 19 MARCH 2013

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 8

A damp, cold and miserable start to the day but by mid-morning the wind picked up and blew the cloud cover away letting the sunshine in.

It stayed windy and sunny all day with wet slush at the bottom of the mountain, a dry, sand like consistency mid-mountain, and hard conditions up high.

Nerys & I took another day off snow and spent it window shopping for mementos and possible kit for next winter.

We had lunch at Yotei Maru sushi train in Kutchan, cocktails at Maki Lounge, and dinner at Niseko Pizza.

Fabulous.

DAY 126 : WEDNESDAY 20 MARCH 2013

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 9

Light snow started falling around 9 am so Nerys & I headed to Rusutsu.

Even though it was a public holiday and the East Mt. car parks were full, East Mt. and Mt. Isola were deserted.

An excellent day of groomed run skiing for Nerys. She was flying.

The conditions were Very inconsistent to start with, scraped off snow one turn a smooth layer of new snow the next.

By day's end the new snow was settling nicely on the groomed runs.

The off groomed areas were baked solid with the ski and snowboard tracks rutted. Not pretty.

Snowing and sticking as I type.

10-15cm and high winds forecast overnight.

Who knows what the morrow will bring.

DAY 127 : THURSDAY 21 MARCH 2013

21 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 10

A great fall of snow and a return to winter in the Niseko Resort Area, but with gusting winds closing the upper lifts and forcing everyone down the mountain Nerys & I headed to Kiroro.

The upper lifts at Kiroro were also on wind hold but with far less people skiing the resort than the Niseko Resort Area the lower runs were quiet, there were no lift queues, and the off groomed stashes stayed fresh all day.

The weather was really nasty at times. And the wind made it feel January cold.

But Nerys stuck it out and made some big changes in the way she approached and skied deeper snow varying the tempo of her balancing and pivotting.

Breakneck Speed

For dinner Nerys & I went the 1-Michelin star Kamimura restaurant in Hirafu, courtesy of the Wikman family.

This was Nerys' first visit to the restaurant.

The restaurant's only offering is JPY 13,000 9-course degustation menu but they are more than happy and capable of accommodating changes for food allergies, beliefs and tastes.

Nerys is a pescatarian (no meat, no fowl) so she had fish and shellfish instead of the Takikawa duck and Wagyu beef.

We started with a glass of champagne and chose the 5-glass drink menu at JPY 6,000 to accompany the courses.

Kamimura Degustation Menu

Kichiji fish sashimi

with eggplant and olives

King Prawn

prawn stock, black sesame, pistachio, tomato and Japanese herbs

MikePow_2297.jpg

Hokkaido Mozzarella

wrapped with Jamon Serrano, basil, tomato and olive powder

MikePow_2298.jpg

MikePow_2299.jpg

Lily bulb and Brussels Sprouts

poached, served with Shungiku coulis

Hokkaido Baby Abalone

in mussel soup, spinach and seaweed

MikePow_2300.jpg

and because I'd already dined at Kamimura this winter chef gave me scallop for this course

MikePow_2301.jpg

Market fish of the day

with winter root vegetable

MikePow_2302.jpg

Takikawa Duck

endive confit with foie gras and miso puree

Hokkaido Wagyu

slow braised with poatao puree and mushroom

MikePow_2303.jpg

Yoichi Apple

warm caramelized, with crumbles and vanilla ice cream

MikePow_2304.jpg

Espresso with Coconut Kuzu petit fours

Chef Kamimura visits with all diners at the end of their meal, and we were no exception.

MikePow_2305.jpg

A fabulous meal with impeccable service in a very sophisticated setting.

It's easy to see why they have 1-Michelin star recognition.

DAY 128 : FRIDAY 22 MARCH 2013

15 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 11

The top lifts were still closed at Kiroro but at least we started the morning in sunshine.

It didn't take long for the next storm to roll through though and the day continued snowy and very windy.

Great turns on the groomed runs and fringes of the lower mountain.

DAY 129 : SATURDAY 23 MARCH 2013

3 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 12

Groundhog Day at Kiroro weather wise, although we did get to the top of the mountain and make two laps in the Asari area before the gondola was taken off line.

Nerys skied her steepest slope to date, the 33 degree Asari #2-B ungroomed black course.

One turn knee deep powder, the next blown off frozen spring snow.

Great skiing from her.

We found great powder off the Yoichi #2 lift and on 'Lovelocks', and smooth, fast turns on the groomed runs.

For dinner we met up with Ian and enjoyed wonderful fish, chicken and vegetable dishes at Rin in Hirafu.

Nightcap at a packed Gyu - 'The Fridge Bar' - which should be renamed 'The Oven' and then home to light snow falling at MQ.

DAY 130 : SUNDAY 24 MARCH 2013

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 1702 cm (670") has fallen at MQ

Even with the warmer weather and sunshine more snow is forecast for next week.

Can we break through the 700" mark? 18 m?

Winter isn't over just yet.

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 13

Ian joined Nerys and me for a day of sunshine, snow and everything in between at Kiroro.

We skied knee deep powder in 'Walk in the Woods' and Ian reported waist deep powder and face shots in 'Hangman'.

Today was Nerys' last day on snow and she saved her best for last :

We warmed up on runs which had really challenged her 10 days ago

Logged 32 km of skiing over the course of the day

Witnessed a helicopter evacuation of a Japanese skier from the terrain skier's right of the gondola

Skied powder and crud on the 34 degree 'Expert A' black course, her steepest run

And finished the day running the race course (sans gates) on 'Center-A'.

Just Give Me One More Day

Two weeks has flown by with unforgettable experiences and massive improvement in Nerys' skiing.

DAY 131 : MONDAY 25 MARCH 2013

A 4 am start to drop Nerys off at Chitose, with a glorious sunrise and perfect driving conditions.

Even though it was wall to wall sunshine all day, today was a rest day for me.

Those who hiked to 'The Peak' reported fast powder and rooster tails the length of buses.

After a morning of admin and housework I went for lunch at Chez Doudou.

Quiche Lorraine

MikePow_2306.jpg

Gurnard with clam bouillabaisse

MikePow_2307.jpg

Apple and prune struesel tart

MikePow_2308.jpg

To accompany the delicious meal?

Extra helpings of The Clash and Generation X

Wonderful.

DAY 132 : TUESDAY 26 MARCH 2013

9 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

I woke to a healthy layer of dry powder on my deck and drove through some of the biggest flakes I've ever seen on the road to Kiroro, but turns would have to wait.

I was on my way to submit my visa renewal application at the Immigration Office in Otaru.

A painless and quick experience, and 20 minutes later I was on my way to Sapporo Kokusai.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=128

JPY 2,500 for a day pass with my Kiroro season pass, JPY 3,000 the regular rate, and the deal of the season JPY 12,000 for the Spring Season Pass.

Unlimited skiing from 25 March through to closing day on 06 May.

The car parks were full but the slopes were quiet and there was no wait on the Sky Cabin 8 gondola.

I warmed up on the green and red trails and the powder and trees between them.

And then it was over to the 'Downhill Trail' and the lines under the gondola.

A lot of the great terrain at Sapporo Kokusai gets the early morning sun so there was a Spring sun crust underneath the boot top to knee deep new snow.

But once I got on to the right aspect it was knee to waist deep.

I traversed further and further around skier's right from the top of the gondola and the turns kept getting better and deeper.

It reminded me of the long, steepish runs through wide spaced trees you get at Tokachi.

The track back to the gondola is tricky with big holes opening up - see the last clip of the video.

Dancing With Myself

A fabulous solo day.

I've had some great days in the Niseko Resort Area and at Rusutsu this winter but with this visit Sapporo Kokusai holds the runner up spot of my favourite places to ski on Hokkaido.

It won't be the last visit this season.

DAY 133 : WEDNESDAY 27 MARCH 2013

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Today was my 100th day on skis this Hokkaido winter and I was very lucky to spend it in great company, skiing great snow under blue skies, at my favourite resort, Kiroro.

The Yoichi #1 Express lift was closed today so instead of warming up on our usual runs Ian, Hamilton and I headed straight to the top of the mountain and warmed up on 'Frost Nip' before dropping in to 'Finding Your Feet'.

'Finding Your Feet' was fast with untracked knee deep powder on top of a firm melt freeze layer. But the sun was already turning the powder to porridge down low.

Then it was on to the north west facing slopes of 'Walk in the Woods' where the snow was up to mid-thigh deep, lighter, and the base was spongy not firm.

With lap one of the gondola under our skis we spent the rest of the day lapping 'Hangman' skiing boot top to waist deep powder.

There were plenty of tracks in the obvious shots but we didn't have any trouble finding untracked and face shots.

Hey Ho Let's Go

Hamilton

MikePow_2309.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2310.jpg

Hamilton

MikePow_2311.jpg

MikePow_2312.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2313.jpg

MikePow_2314.jpg

Hamilton

MikePow_2315.jpg

MikePow_2316.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2317.jpg

Hamilton

MikePow_2318.jpg

MikePow_2319.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2320.jpg

MikePow_2321.jpg

MikePow_2322.jpg

• Like 1

DAY 134 : THURSDAY 28 MARCH 2013

A grey and warm day at Niseko Hirafu skiing the Family Run with brothers Jasper (9) and Jordan (8), and sister and brother Jade (9) and Alex (7) from Australia.

Thankfully the forecasted rain didn't materialise.

They went from "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" to "Stumble and Fall" to gliding wedge to matching parallel over the course of the day.

Reliably informed that the off groomed slopes up high were like skiing glue.

DAY 135 : FRIDAY 29 MARCH 2013

My second day with Jasper, Jordan, Jade and Alex.

And it was great to see the sun out for most of the day.

A couple of warm up laps on the Family Run and then we had to walk over to the gondola area because the Ace Pair Lift #1 wasn't running.

Once over we skied laps off the Holiday Pair Lift #1 before and after lunch and finished with their first ride up to mid-mountain on the gondola.

And we lucked out and got the Golden Gondola.

It takes some very "special" planning to put beginner ski slopes between a terrain park and a half pipe.

With most of the skiers and boarders able to ski the park and the pipe not giving a damn about the beginners and bombing back to the lifts it makes for a very difficult learning environment.

From the gondola down to the top of Ni Kabe was bulletproof and then it softened nicely down to the bottom of the Family Run.

And the gang did very well with the changing snow conditions, the steeper pitches and the length of the run.

It's trying very hard to snow and we need it.

DAY 136 : SATURDAY 30 MARCH 2013

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Spring powder in this neck of the woods is like French bread. Get it fresh and early or forget about it.

Another great day with Jasper, Jordan, Jade and Alex.

A couple of warm up laps on the Family Run and then up the Ace Quad Lift # 2 and the King Hooded Triple #3 to ski the 5-10 cm of soft snow on Center, Upper Jumbo and Lower Rinkan.

The snow stayed good all day despite the strong sunshine.

DAY 137 : SUNDAY 31 MARCH 2013

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another great morning of 5-15 cm of powder on Center with Jasper, Jordan, Jade and Alex.

It snowed for the first hour or so and then it was blue skies and sunshine all day.

They skied their first black today - the lower section of Jumbo - and the ungroomed areas in Upper Rinkan and underneath the Ace Pair Lift #3 between Center and the spring park on Shirikaba.

Big improvements all round.

This was the second snowiest March in the seven winters I've been keeping records with 239 cm (94") of snowfall.

There were 22 snow events in the 31 days, with the biggest 24hr snowfall of 33 cm (13").

March 2010 is the snowiest March with 271 cm (107") of snowfall.

DAY 138 : MONDAY 01 APRIL 2013

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another powder top up above mid-mountain and a big mileage day on skis for Jasper, Jordan, Jade and Alex.

We warmed up on Center, Rinkan and Jumbo in Niseko Hirafu before taking Yotei Sunset down to Hanazono.

After lunch at 308 we took the lift system back over to Hirafu and finished with the black run Ni-Kabe.

They're all getting very comfortable on skis.

DAY 139 : TUESDAY 02 APRIL 2013

1 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

I woke to brilliant sunshine and a light coating of new snow but this quickly changed to a wet snow / drizzle hybrid as I drove into Hirafu.

Thankfully I was heading to higher altitudes at Kiroro with Damien and his wife Lyn.

Damien has been a long time follower of the season reports but this was the first time we've skied together.

They skied Niseko Hirafu with Ian on Sunday and Ian did a really good job of introducing them to my teaching style and they were eager for more.

We've had a bit of snow in these parts

MikePow_2323.jpg

There was about 5cm of new snow in the Kiroro car park and the groomed runs were in great shape and stayed great all day.

We warmed up on the green and red runs off the Yoichi #1 Express, then moved around the mountain to Center Express and the two quads to the top of the Nagamine area.

Lyn on the Nagamine #2-C red course

MikePow_2324.jpg

MikePow_2325.jpg

Damien

MikePow_2326.jpg

Lyn

MikePow_2327.jpg

Damien

MikePow_2328.jpg

Lyn and Damien with Nagamine #2-C red course in the background

MikePow_2329.jpg

Then it was up the Kiroro gondola to catch the views and ski the Asari #2-A red course

Damien and Lyn at the top of Kiroro with Mt. Yoichi-dake in the background

MikePow_2330.jpg

Lyn skiing the Asari #2-A red course

MikePow_2331.jpg

Damien skiing the Asari #2-A red course

MikePow_2332.jpg

MikePow_2333.jpg

MikePow_2334.jpg

King of the Rodeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJHuhzBxsmo

In the Groove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwnKScOiuI

Ice cream on the way home from the Yamanka Dairy Farm shop put the 'icing' on a fabulous day, one which we can hopefully do again next winter.

DAY 140 : WEDNESDAY 03 APRIL 2013

My final day with Jasper, Jordan, Jade and Alex. Had an excellent time with them all.

Visibility was non-existent above Ace Hill so we spent the day lapping the Holiday Pair Lift #1, the Hirafu Gondola and the Ace Quad Lift #2.

Another big leap forward with more black runs successfully tackled, including Onsenzawa.

Jordan, Jade, Alex, Japer and me at the 1,000 m Hut in Niseko Hirafu

(Grant Parker photo from Monday)

MikePow_2336.jpg

DAY 141 : THURSDAY 04 APRIL 2013

I spent the morning skiing a sunny Niseko Hirafu with 6-year old Niseko local Charlotte.

I first skied with Charlotte at Niseko Annupuri in early March.

We warmed up skiing the 'Boyo' green run off the Holiday Pair Lift #1 then moved on to the 'Green' and 'Senoki' green runs from the Hiarfu gondola.

With warm temperatures the Ace Quad Lift #2 center 4 was a pleasure to ride and we took the King Hooded Triple Lift #3 up to ski the 'Center' red run.

After a hot chocolate break at King Bell restaurant we did a couple more laps on 'Center' and a run on the ungroomed terrain under the Ace Pair Lift #3 before taking 'Kokutai', 'Green' and the 'King Area Access Pass' back to the gondola base area.

Throughout the morning we played the 'I'm thinking of an animal' game and Charlotte beat me fair and square. Need to up my game.

The past two seasons the only 'never ever' skier I've taught is my girlfriend Nerys.

The rest of my students have already been on skis and my goal is to make their skiing safer, easier and more enjoyable.

The biggest hurdle I have to overcome is to eliminate the 'braking plow' and its lingering after effects from the skier's arsenal.

Most children and adults learn to ski in a group lesson and for practical & safety reasons the 'braking plow' is the first thing they're taught.

Stopping by pushing the tails of the skis out, dropping the knees inside and digging the inside edges of the skis into the snow will certainly result in rapid deceleration, but when it comes time to start making turns the uphill ski is so edgded and gripped in the snow it's an enormous effort to get round smoothly. If at all.

Charlotte was no different and her go to move at the start of the day was the 'Power Plow' - the first clip in the video.

She spent the morning trying to stand taller with her hands more forward, flatenning the skis, and balancing with the pitch of the slope to accelerate through the first part of the turn.

Not getting small and back and leaning into the hill to turn.

First we started with the gliding wedge in the fall line to matching the skis parallel across the slope to complete the turn.

Then being very patient at the start of the turn, shifting the balance to the downhill ski, bending the inside knee to balance to the slope and skiing parallel through the turn making ' number 11' shapes.

Charlotte changing shapes at Niseko Hirafu

Animal

It's a struggle to forget the 'braking plow' and for this reason I only teach 'never ever' skiers on a one-to-one basis teaching them to glide and accelerate in the fall line and control that acceleration by turning both skis back up the hill.

DAY 142 : FRIDAY 05 APRIL 2013

A day off snow and another fabulous lunch at Chez Doudou.

13_04_05_Hokkaido_2-1-IC-600.jpg

First course of pumpkin gnocchi, scallop, courgette, red onion, spring onion, salad leaves, fresh herbs and a lettuce sauce.

13_04_05_Hokkaido_4-1-IC-600.jpg

Chez Doudou interior

13_04_05_Hokkaido_5-1-IC-600.jpg

Followed by Boeuf Bourguignon - tender beef with potato, turnip and carrot in a rich red wine sauce.

13_04_05_Hokkaido_6-1-IC-600.jpg

And for dessert, coffee and Apple Pie with hazelnut praline and a caramel & custard sauce.

13_04_05_Hokkaido_7-1-IC-600.jpg

For dinner I went to Niseko Pizza for owners Cezar and Keiko's 10th Wedding Anniversary celebration.

Great company and the finest Wagyu beef and lamb I've ever tasted.

DAY 143 : SATURDAY 06 APRIL 2013

A mixed bag weatherwise.

Cold, warm, sunny, cloudy, calm, windy.

Another day off snow kicking back and catching up with admin and tv shows.

DAY 144 : SUNDAY 07 APRIL 2013

The storm started just before midnight and it's been lashing it down with rain ever since.

Add high winds throughout the region and it makes for the ideal indoor day.

A lot of snow has moved in the past 12-24 hrs

Big slides in Haru no taki and Mizunosawa.

The freezing level is forecast to drop with the rain turning to snow later tonight.

Hopefully a few Spring powder days next week.

Watch this space!

DAY 145 : MONDAY 08 APRIL 2013

Cold and dry today meant boilerplate conditions on the hill.

Not pretty.

DAY 146 : TUESDAY 09 APRIL 2013

A dusting of snow up high and warmer temperatures meant the Head Supershape Magnums came out of the cupboard today.

I spent the day skiing with Greg Heptonstall.

The slopes at Niseko Hirafu were deserted and it was the morning to let the skis run.

It was fabulous.

Well until it started raining just before 4pm.

Torrential for about an hour but it's stopped this evening.

Hey Mike, I'm really interested as to what benifit you see in teaching people to ski with their arms spaced quite wide. It's just a different look to a lot of other teaching styles.

Hey Mike, I'm really interested as to what benifit you see in teaching people to ski with their arms spaced quite wide. It's just a different look to a lot of other teaching styles.

I try to have my students thinking about the hands being on the lateral plane - out to the side of the body - as opposed to the fore/aft plane - forwards and backwards.

Why?

1. Balance

Most skiers think they're putting more balance on the downhillI ski when they turn, which is fine but without the upper body balancing over that downhill ski they're not going far enough.

Placing the hands and poles on the lateral plane gives the opportunity for the downhill hand to balance to the pitch of the slope.

Have you ever been given the drill of carrying the 'imaginary tray of drinks' and making sure you don't tilt the tray and spill them?

In my opinion as you turn across the fall line the drinks should slide right off that "tray" with wild abandon. Then you're balanced with the mountain.

2. I don't advocate or teach pole planting.

The style of skiing I practice and promote is about standing tall, centred and light on your skis using the pull of the mountain to accelerate in the fall line and the first part of the turn and pivotting the skis across the fall line and continuing to turn your skis back up the hill to decelerate and manage speed.

The pole plant for most skiers is a blocking action making the skier small and heavy on the snow and forcing the skier to turn at a pre-determined spot rather than where the contours of the mountain and the snow conditions feel best and safest.

Eliminating the pole plant turns a powerful effort into effortless power.

My style of skiing and teaching is not for everyone, but then neither is my recommendation of skiing on a shortish, narrow platform in all terrain and snow conditions either.