Nice Mike.

1 question, these runs that you do at kiroro, are they all legit in bounds runs? After you calling out the rogue guides from Niseko for ducking ropes, I take it Kiroro has plenty unroped side pow to ride in

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

Nice Mike.

1 question, these runs that you do at kiroro, are they all legit in bounds runs? After you calling out the rogue guides from Niseko for ducking ropes, I take it Kiroro has plenty unroped side pow to ride in

Thanks TubbyBeaverinho.

I've been skiing Kiroro for 5 seasons now and haven't needed to duck a rope to ski inbounds terrain.

I have crossed the rope at the top of the gondola which accesses the backcountry terrain of Mt. Yoichi-dake outside of the resort and this is a recognised and accepted practice by Patrol.

Inbounds there are designated off-groomed areas like the POWDERZONE with a gated access and then there are plenty of tree runs beside the groomed runs.

The off groomed experience at Kiroro is very similar to that of Rusutsu. There are signs saying :

' Warning Don't ski/ride off-piste'

"As off-piste areas are outside Kiroro Snow World's Patrol area, the ski patrol cannot perform rescues in these areas. Rescues will be performed by the Mountain Rescue Unit, with all costs charged to the person rescued."

The signs are there to discourage visitors who have neither the skill nor the mountain experience from accessing that terrain and the ropes tend to start as you exit the lift but then finish a ways down the groomed runs.

I have performed a rescue on the track out from the terrain accessed skier's right from the top of the gondola and Patrol has thanked me, Ian and Andy who was skiing with us that day for our efforts.

I have three issues with the guided groups ducking the ropes :

1. The more it's done the more ropes are being put up, limiting the access to the off-groomed terrain.

2. By ducking the ropes, the guides and in turn the guide companies are telling their customers that this is an accepatble practice. That is not how a guide company should act in my opinion.

3. Are the customers who duck the ropes aware that their insurance may not cover them for rescue?

Ducking ropes is a badge of honour to a lot of skiers/boarders and I can see how it can spice up the ski day.

It's not something I condone or practice.

DAY 110 : MONDAY 04 MARCH 2013

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

A beautiful sunny start to the week with 12 cm of dry powder overnight.

The temperature fluctuated throughout the day with plenty of snowmelt on the roads and roofs releasing left and right.

It started snowing around 11am and didn't stop all day.

Word was the Annupuri back bowls were very, very good.

DAY 111 : TUESDAY 05 MARCH 2013

16 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another glorious sunrise in Higashiyama.

There's been a bit of snow in these parts.

MikePow_2239.jpg

MikePow_2240.jpg

MikePow_2241.jpg

MikePow_2242.jpg

MikePow_2243.jpg

Even with new snow in the Niseko United Ian and I headed to Kiroro, with Julian joining us for his first visit to the resort.

We made one lap in 'Walk in the Woods' and one in 'Finding Your Feet' and then bumped into Ben and Damian over for their first to Kiroro too.

The five of us lapped 'Hangman' and the terrain off the Nagamine #2 Express skiing and riding knee to waist deep fast powder.

Ian, Julian & I did one more lap in 'Hangman' when Ben and Damian went in for lunch

Julian

MikePow_2244.jpg

MikePow_2245.jpg

MikePow_2246.jpg

MikePow_2247.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2248.jpg

MikePow_2249.jpg

MikePow_2250.jpg

• Like 1

Mike, not sure if you have answered the question below before, sorry if it's a repeat.

You spend most days out on your skis, what do you do about waxing them? ie how do you wax them, and how often?

DAY 112 : WEDNESDAY 06 MARCH 2013

1 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Today I joined Geoff, Jane and Glenda at Kiroro. Great to see and ski with them.

They've been on Hokkaido for almost two weeks skiing Furano and Rusutsu before finishing off their holiday with 2 days at Kiroro.

It was snowing and blowing all day with the upper lifts on windhold.

Even so we had great turns on and off the groomed runs with 'Walk in the Woods', Center-C Course and Center-A Course the pick of the pops.

The powder was heavier due to the wind and warming temperatures but it was still waist deep with the odd face shot.

DAY 113 : THURSDAY 07 MARCH 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Back to Kiroro and the upper lifts were still on windhold and the lower lifts running slow.

So Nikki, Kyp, Trina and I had a quick coffee and continued on to Otaru.

Nikki, Kyp and I shared an apartment in Keystone, Colorado in 2005 and Kyp and his sister Trina are here on holiday riding Hokkaido for the first time.

Nikki's here for the winter working for NBS.

We took a walk around the glassware and chocolate shops and then had an extended and delicious lunch at the Otaru Brewery.

We drove back to Kutchan via Yoichi and the beach, rain accompanying us the whole way.

A great day despite the warmer temperatures and rain.

DAY 114 : FRIDAY 08 MARCH 2013

11 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Light drizzle followed by wet, heavy snow fell at MQ yesterday afternoon followed by a cold, clear night.

A freeze-thaw cycle in the Niseko United doesn't mean there's no powder out there.

You just have to know where to go and be prepared to travel to there. Wherever 'there' may be.

Today 'there' was Kiroro.

The whole mountain was open for the first time in three days but the sun, warmer temperatures and wind had made a mess of most of the powder.

Ian & I warmed up on the 'Yoichi #1-B Course' skiing the perfectly groomed packed powder on piste and the creme brulee off piste.

A thin sun crust on top of two layers of powder of different density.

Then it was onto the Kiroro gondola and 'Hangman'

It was rather tricky on the narrower platforms Ian & I ski on and would have been much easier on rockered fat skis.

But when the patches of non-wind and non-sun affected powder presented themselves we were able to ease our way into knee deep turns.

The sun was blazing on the drive home and the melt was on.

After lunch at Prativo the skies darkened and snowfall, albeit a little wet at the moment, has returned to Higashiyama.

DAY 115 : SATURDAY 09 MARCH 2013

29 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 1591 cm (626") has fallen at MQ, which makes this the snowiest winter in the seven years I've been keeping records.

Winter has returned after one day of Spring!

High wind closed Niseko Annupuri, and the upper lifts at Niseko Village, Niseko Hiarfu and Niseko Hanazono were on hold all day.

I drove round to Hanazono with 7-year old local Neve and we skied deserted runs all day with boot top to mid-thigh powder on and off the groomed runs.

It didn't stop snowing all day but the terrain off the Hanazono 1 quad was well protected from the wind.

Today was Neve's first day on her new Line Snow Angel twin tip skis and she worked really hard getting her balance centred and out of the back seat, keeping her hands forward with more width, and maintaining separation between the knees allowing both legs to balance to the pitch of the slope.

Big improvements.

DAY 116 : SUNDAY 10 MARCH 2013

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 1603 cm (631") has fallen at MQ

Even stronger winds this morning with no lifts running at Niseko Annupuri and Niseko Hanazono, and only the lower level lifts open at Niseko Village and Niseko Hirafu as I type.

If the wind dies down and the upper lifts open then today's 'Nighter' could be epic.

Already shovelled once today and it won't be long before I'm out for another session.

Man this thread is giving me serious withdrawals... I'm considering an emergency trip to Niseko 16 march to 23 - any idea what conditions I could expect ?

DAY 117 : MONDAY 11 MARCH 2013

33 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another dump of snow overnight and with calmer conditions and sunshine Ian & I started our day at Niseko Hanazono.

It was very quiet with great snow on and off the groomed runs.

Ian MacKenzie skiing a deserted Niseko Hanazono

After a quick coffee stop I bumped into Kyp and Trina who were enjoying Hanazono powder and sunshine on the last day of their holiday.

Waterfall on the way back to Niseko Hirafu was well tracked but deep.

And then it was off to the airport to pick up Nerys for her second visit to Fantasy Island this season.