• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 57 : THURSDAY 10 JANUARY 2013

29 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 808 cm (318") has fallen at MQ

And what a day to break through the 8 metre mark.

After yesterday's rest day the Lovelocks, Craig & I were taken to Niseko Moiwa by Ian Mackenzie of Niseko WOW.

This was their first visit and my first visit for this season.

Moiwa has just three lifts and whilst small compared with the Niseko United and Rusutsu, is perfectly formed.

The first double chair accesses wonderful beginner terrain and then it's a logical progression to the other double chair which accesses the wide open pistes that dominate the lower mountain.

The covered quad chair accesses one winding run that sets the boundary of the resort and everything you can see inside the ropes.

There's also a backcountry gate at the top of the quad - Gate 6 - which offers a short hike / traverse into the backcountry terrain between Moiwa and Niseko Annupuri.

The lower lifts open at 8.30 am and the quad to the top of the mountain opens an hour later.

This gives an enforced 1 hr warm up which so many skiers and boarders skip when the powder frenzy kicks in.

This set the tone for our day which was relaxed, effortless skiing on powder covered groomed runs and waist deep and deeper powder in the trees and the open stashes.

I didn't think their first day at Hanazono would be bettered this trip, but this surpassed that.

The evidence m'lord

Warming up on the "groomed run" Course 6

Ria

MikePow_1844.jpg

Craig

MikePow_1845.jpg

Hayden

MikePow_1846.jpg

Alex

MikePow_1847.jpg

Neil

MikePow_1848.jpg

Ria skiing Course 6

Then they went off the groomed runs and got a little deeper

Neil

MikePow_1849.jpg

Craig

MikePow_1850.jpg

Ria

MikePow_1851.jpg

Hayden

MikePow_1852.jpg

MikePow_1853.jpg

Then the sun came out for a little while

Craig

MikePow_1854.jpg

MikePow_1855.jpg

MikePow_1856.jpg

MikePow_1857.jpg

Hayden getting taken down by the snow snakes

MikePow_1858.jpg

MikePow_1859.jpg

MikePow_1860.jpg

MikePow_1861.jpg

MikePow_1862.jpg

Ria

MikePow_1863.jpg

MikePow_1864.jpg

Alex

MikePow_1865.jpg

MikePow_1866.jpg

MikePow_1867.jpg

And last but certainly not least, Neil

MikePow_1868.jpg

MikePow_1869.jpg

MikePow_1870.jpg

MikePow_1871.jpg

MikePow_1872.jpg

MikePow_1873.jpg

MikePow_1874.jpg

I was invited to dinner at Ezo by John Pidgeon for his last night in Hirafu.

The same high standard with the crowd favourites - crab, oysters, sashimi - plus the special of the day lightly fried whitebait.

Great evening. Thanks John.

Ordering at Ezo

MikePow_1875.jpg

Kampai

MikePow_1876.jpg

Great pics as usual Mike

I noticed in the later pics of Neil at Moiwa he had a contour helmet cam and a pic later he didn't - did he lose it?

the mount was still there

DAY 58 : FRIDAY 11 JANUARY 2013

33 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With another healthy snowfall overnight it was back to Moiwa for the Lovelocks, Craig & I.

And today we were joined by Ian.

The snow wasn't as light as yesterday but there were stil plenty of great turns to be had

Alex

MikePow_1877.jpg

Craig

MikePow_1878.jpg

Then it was back to Ezo Seafoods for two consecutive nights of top notch seafood.

MikePow_1879.jpg

What does a face shot look like?

If you haven't experienced the powder washing over you as you ski through it then seeing pictures and video of skiers and boarders temporarily blinded by snow might not seem like the best feeling.

We're very lucky on Fantasy Island to have the quality and quantity of snow that results in the snow engulfing you as you ski.

This is an idea of what it's like. Now where's the feel-o-vision when you need it?

Driving between Hirafu and Higashiyama before the plow has been

DAY 41 : TUESDAY 25 DECEMBER 2012

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After opening up our stocking and presents, we headed to Annupuri for Nerys, Claire and Craig's first ever Christmas Day turns.

It was also the first Christmas away from Wales for Nerys.

No pressure then.

Thankfully it was another sunny morning with great visibility and spongy powder on the fringes.

We lapped the quad and gondola for a couple of hours and then headed in for the buffet lunch.

Craig, Claire and Nerys with the crackers Craig had brought over from Australia

MikePow_1688.jpg

Craig and Claire in the festive spirit

MikePow_1689.jpg

Nerys Claus

MikePow_1690.jpg

For Christmas dinner we skipped the turkey and went to Maccarina (also spelled Makkarina) in the village of Makkari half-way between Hirafu and Rusutsu.

It's one of two 1-star Michelin restaurants in the area - the other being Kamimura in Hirafu - and is a French influenced restaurant using the finest local ingredients.

http://www.maccarina.co.jp

Claire and Nerys at Maccarina

MikePow_1691.jpg

We ordered the seven course degustation menu which included

a medley of lamb, foie gras, vegetables, salmon and mussel

MikePow_1692.jpg

braised leek

MikePow_1693.jpg

pumpkin soup

MikePow_1694.jpg

octopus and a beef & pork sausage

MikePow_1695.jpg

MikePow_1696.jpg

turbot for the ladies

MikePow_1697.jpg

and venison for the gentlemen

MikePow_1698.jpg

MikePow_1699.jpg

bitter chocolate tart with pumpkin ice cream

MikePow_1700.jpg

and to finish coffee and petits fours

MikePow_1701.jpg

A thoroughly wonderful experience which I can't recommend highly enough.

Hi Mike

How far from Rusutsu is Maccarina and any idea on a cab fare please?

Food looks great. What are the prices like before and after? Norrmally I avoid anything Michelin recommends. I just hate the Michelin Star thing, just makes me want to barf at their partisan hyprocacy.

Gauge the taxi fare for your reference: Hirafu to Niseko Village (Higashiyama) costs 4,500Y.

There's no way you'd want to get a taxi there and back. It'd be cheaper hiring a car for the day. I think Mike has underestimated the time to get there considerably, especially from Hirafu where most people would be staying.

Ah so he is. 10-15mins is about right then. As Mike suggests the hotel should be able to organise the trip and advise the cost. Love Maccarina myself. The wife and I enjoyed a few meals there on special occassions. Once Kamimura set up in Niseko though it was much closer and just as good, if not better.

Food looks great. What are the prices like before and after? Norrmally I avoid anything Michelin recommends. I just hate the Michelin Star thing, just makes me want to barf at their partisan hyprocacy.

surely you're not gonna go for the jacked up prices?

To my knowledge they haven't increased the prices since receiving their Michelin star.

Nor has Kamimura.

I'm heading to Kamimura on Saturday. Looking forward to a great meal in the new space at Shiki.

DAY 59 : SATURDAY 12 JANUARY 2013

26 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Lots of light, dry powder overnight and the day spent at Hirafu and Hanazono with the Wikmans, Giles, and Graeme's pal John.

Started the day in Hirafu with Graeme, Liz, Giles and John and then met Annie and Tim in Hanazono 308 for lunch.

Giles skiing in Rinkan

MikePow_1880.jpg

MikePow_1881.jpg

MikePow_1882.jpg

Liz playing to the gallery

MikePow_1883.jpg

Giles

MikePow_1884.jpg

Liz getting deep

MikePow_1885.jpg

MikePow_1886.jpg

MikePow_1887.jpg

MikePow_1888.jpg

For the last hour of light Tim and I skied Rinkan and Miharashi.

There was still plenty of powder to ski and Tim hit and landed this pillow perfectly. Not bad for a boy with a broken wrist

He flies through the air with the greatest of ease

MikePow_1889.jpg

MikePow_1890.jpg

MikePow_1891.jpg

MikePow_1892.jpg

Big changes for Graeme today.

He'd been flirting 'venturing beyond the orange poles' as Tim puts it and today he was all in.

First the fringes of Center and then on to the ungroomed Shirakaba with boot top to knee deep powder and crud.

Graeme skiing Center at Niseko Hirafu

DAY 60 : SUNDAY 13 JANUARY 2013

10 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

For our last day together this trip the Wikmans & I went to Rusutsu.

This was their first visit and they got fresh, velvet snow on the groomers and sunshine.

It was busier than normal it being a Japanese holiday weekend but that meant the Steamboat cafe was packed, not the slopes.

Graeme, Jack, Annie, Liz & Tim at Rusutsu

MikePow_1893.jpg

Annie

MikePow_1894.jpg

Graeme finding his flow on Heavenly View

MikePow_1895.jpg

MikePow_1896.jpg

MikePow_1897.jpg

And Graeme got to ski his first black run, Heavenly Ridge-A.

Tim, Jack, Graeme and Liz with Shiribetsudake in the background

MikePow_1898.jpg

To cap off the day we drove over to the Rusutsu hotel to see the talking tree, the carousel, Daniel St, and taste Dippin' Dots, the ice cream of the future.

Annie with rainbowitis

MikePow_1899.jpg

DAY 61 : MONDAY 14 JANUARY 2013

7 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another beautiful sunny day in Rusutsu for the first ski there this trip with the Lovelocks and Craig.

The wind had packed in Saturday's powder so we spent the day on the groomed runs and the fringes working on technique.

Excellent awareness and improvement of pressure control by all in the mixed snow conditions.

DAY 62 : TUESDAY 15 JANUARY 2013

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another sunny day at Rusutsu, but no new snow.

Co3der temperatures meant the moisture had been sucked out of the snowpack which made the powder lighter and more consistent.

Another great technique day working on soft moguls and crud in the trees.

For the last run of the day Neil, Craig & I traversed into one of the chutes lower down on Shiribetsudake accessed from West Mt.

Good boot top powder and crud.

Neil and Craig in the chute

MikePow_1900.jpg

Craig

MikePow_1901.jpg

MikePow_1902.jpg

For dinner Ian MacKenzine of Niseko WOW picked us up and drove us to Irori, a small izakaya restaurant in Makkari.

Excellent welcome, service and food at one of Ian's out of the way gems.

Preparing bibinba - a rice and vegetable dish cooked in an hot earthenware bowl.

MikePow_1903.jpg

MikePow_1904.jpg

Neil and Ian enjoying yaki niku - barbecued beef - at Irori

MikePow_1905.jpg

I'm curious, I was wondering this before when you posted about Ian MacKenzie of Niseko WOW, as I remember him just being a dull Ian MacKenzie last year.

Has Ian MacKenzine of Niseko WOW changed his name legally to Ian MacKenzine of Niseko WOW?

Which bit is his surname? Is he Mr of Niseko WOW, or is his Mr MacKenzie of Niseko WOW.

And is is ok to call him Ian MacKanzie of Niseko Wow without the capitals, or is that not an appropriate promotional message?