• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 10 : SATURDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2012

14 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

NISEKO : THE NEXT GENERATION

New snow overnight had filled in most of yesterday's tracks and made previously closed runs doable today.

Still just Ace Quad Lift #2 Center 4 and Ace Pair Lift #3 chairs open but when the day ticket costs a mere JPY 2,000 (15 quid; 19 euros; US$ 24) and the snow is already as good as many places get on their best days of the season there can really be no complaints.

Today I had the pleasure of skiing Niseko Hirafu with two of Niseko's up & comers, 9-year old skier Kai Martin and and 11-year old boarder Conrad Mitchell.

Both live year round in Niseko and both try to get out on the mountain as much as possible. School gets in the way a bit though.

Kai doing the Sasa Slalom in to lower Onsenzawa

MikePow_1513.jpg

MikePow_1514.jpg

MikePow_1515.jpg

Conrad airing in to and out of lower Onsenzawa

MikePow_1516.jpg

MikePow_1517.jpg

MikePow_1518.jpg

MikePow_1519.jpg

MikePow_1520.jpg

Kai getting air below the Ace Hill restaurant

MikePow_1521.jpg

MikePow_1522.jpg

MikePow_1523.jpg

And skiing it out

MikePow_1524.jpg

Conrad getting air below the Ace Hill restaurant

MikePow_1525.jpg

MikePow_1526.jpg

MikePow_1527.jpg

MikePow_1528.jpg

We dropped in to Konayuki and the boys were popping off the snow covered rocks and rollers with ease but unfortunately I ballsed up the videoing.

Hopefully I'll have another chance this winter to catch them in full flight.

Conrad and Kai back at base

MikePow_1529.jpg

• Like 1

DAY 11 : SUNDAY 25 NOVEMBER 2012

7 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After getting to sleep at 4am from watching Wales get thrashed by New Zealand in rugby and waking at 8.30 am, I missed the bluebird powder start to the day that hopefully some caught and captured for posterity.

Afer all, November bluebird powder mornings are as rare as unicorns in the Niseko Resort Area.

7cm of fresh, superlight powder around my house, between 15-20 cm up on the mountain.

Ready to go at 9.45 and I bumped into Nikki and two of his housemates, James from Wellington, New Zealand and Lee from Quebec, Canada.

The four of us rode together for a couple of hours, never really catching the sunshine at its brightest.

We found a little pow though.

Thanks for your patience guys & gal.

Nikki riding under the Ace Pair Lift #3 chair

MikePow_1532.jpg

MikePow_1533.jpg

MikePow_1534.jpg

James riding under the Ace Pair Lift #3 chair

MikePow_1535.jpg

MikePow_1536.jpg

Lee getting deep in Konayuki (Powder Snow)

MikePow_1537.jpg

And once we found the goods in Konayuki, we lapped it up.

Nikki flying in Konayuki

MikePow_1538.jpg

Lee flying in Konayuki

MikePow_1539.jpg

Nikki going deep in Konayuki

MikePow_1540.jpg

MikePow_1541.jpg

James going deep and spinning in Konayuki

MikePow_1542.jpg

MikePow_1543.jpg

MikePow_1544.jpg

James the Wraith

MikePow_1545.jpg

Lee getting down & up in Konayuki

MikePow_1546.jpg

MikePow_1547.jpg

Nikki breaking on through

MikePow_1548.jpg

And to top off an excellent day, the moon rising over Mt Yotei

MikePow_1549.jpg

DAY 12 : MONDAY 26 NOVEMBER 2012

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Went to bed in Higashiyama, woke up in Whistler.

5 cm of heavy, wet snow had fallen overnight - which will help build the base and flatten the sasa - but by mid-morning the worst four letters a ski town can hear made a very unwelcome appearance

R - A - I - N

As I type (close to 2pm) it's turned to sleet / wet snow at approx. 300 m and the forecast is for the temperature to drop through the day and snow to return.

Pretty sure it's snowing above mid-mountain but with the only uplift in Niseko Hirafu being uncovered chairlifts I'm not the martyr to find out and report back.

There's another spike forecast for Wednesday evening, but after that it looks like winter is here to stay with the freezing level dropping to sea level.

With a base area at 570 m, a freezing level of 650 m tonight, and close to 25 cm of snow forecast in the next 18 hrs Kiroro could well the destination tomorrow.

DAY 13 : TUESDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2012

7 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Shovelled lighter snow this morning and set off for Kiroro bright and early.

Got as far as Hirafu and the blizzard started. Snow blowing horizontally, gusts shaking the van.

Got about 5km out of Kutchan on Rt 393 to Kiroro and pulled the pin.

Was down to 15 kph and about 10 m visibility. No fun at all.

Did my weekly shop at Max Value and then went to check if Niseko Hirafu was running.

Nope. And hardly surprising.

Drove home and had a laundry and shovelling day.

Cleared 35 cm so far and it's still coming down as I type at 5.30 pm

Thankfully the wind has let up.

If the lifts run tomorrow, then it could be pretty special up top.

• Like 1

Really bad weather today in Hokkaido eh! Winds up to 150km/h in places, and 40,000 odd people without power in Muroran area. Seems like alot of snow has fallen though. Every cloud!

I have been watching the cams.....until I couldn't see anymore. Looked like you got a real belting. The best cam to check the snow fall and still be able to see was the Furano town site. Lucky ducks. You will hopefully have a great day tomorrow! :)

My mate was up at Teine and made a bad call to hike further up.....said he couldn't see his hand in front of his face

Thought Teine was closed today? Looked pretty unpleasant up there either way! Heading up on Saturday, hoping for good things!