• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PB and baby Bearcub are in Russia at the moment (Ufa), BoredRider I was expecting ugly, because that's what my Russian mate told me to expect, but I think it is actually charming!!   Caveat: I'm o

Is a big place, Mary - lots of different terrain and resorts - intent was to try to get a bit finer definition than that!!

Still, I agree, Almost anywhere (except Mt Granview) in Japow is a good start.

Heretic!

he must mean that its not a good place to start, because its the last place you will ever ski

once you've experienced mt granview, you'll never want to go anywhere else.

Lucky enough to have instructed on 5 continents now, so already skied a lot of cool places.

The big ones left on the list are anywhere in Alaska, Gulmarg, Las Lenas, Chamonix, Revelstoke and Jackson Hole.

Heretic!

he must mean that its not a good place to start, because its the last place you will ever ski

Hiking to ski ain't my thing, and "doof doof doof "music" sure as hell ain't my thing! So, if da yoof is going there - Me is outa there for good!

And ... a good place to end your sliding career? Hmmmm, maybe! :shifty:

Ok Mitch, spill.

What's the negatives to Breckenridge?

I have it on my list because a couple of friends go there regularly and love it.

One family go for the kids to train Dec/Jan, and also spend all of our Perth 3rd term of school in NZ at Cardrona for the same reason. They love the place.

Aren't most places able (and likely) to suck when it rains?!

;)

truth in this ^^ there is!

sliding wet snow is not pleasant (as anyone who has ever slid in Aus will attest (happens to be the majority of the time, unfortunately!)

Breckenridge???? EWWWWWW

IF you want to come to the US, Jackson Hole, Alta, Brighton, Taos, or Tahoe. Maybe Baker but that place can suck when it rains!

Forgot Alta.

Breck is reportedly one of the ``best'' party ski towns in the US (depends, I guess, on how you define best).

Apart from that's it's a fairly scenic place with a lot of terrain, a lot of vertical, a lot of altitude.

Of the five areas I've skied in Colorado so far, it's my least favorite. (Vail/Keystone/Copper/A-Basin)

I'm heading to the state again the first week of January, and it's not on my short list at all.

Hard to say exactly why, but it just didn't float my boat. Lots of very good skiers do love the place.

Aren't most places able (and likely) to such when it rains?!

;)

This is true, but all of those places I listed simply don't get rain like Baker does. It's not surprising for people to see rain mid January at Baker.

MB, Breck is really good for park, however it doesn't get much snow at all. It's often times pretty cold and windy as well mid winter. It does get quite a bit of sun though which is nice. The biggest thing is there are places that have much better terrain and your chances of getting a good half a meter dump are ten fold better.

Jackson, Tahoe, Alta/Brighton/Snowbird/Powder mountain/, Taos are going to have more potential for fun.

Back in my heyday :grandpa: Breck and Keystone were two of my favorite mountains simply because park is all they had. If you want lots of rails and big jumps go there. If you have to go to Colorado in the summit country area check out Vail or Copper. Copper has some good cat skiing that can be really fun if you time it right and Vail gets better snow than the rest (still not as good as Utah :) ).

Righto,

Thanks for that Mitch.

Yeah, my friends kids are park rats (and doing race training).

The parents enjoy a firm groomer.

Perhaps I will make it a stop along my travels rather than a destination in itself.

I like the fresh stuff most.

If you're in Summit County, MB, you must go to A-Basin. There's no resort, just a great ski hill right on the continental divide.

+1 on Copper, and Keystone also has cat rides in the upper bowls -- not free, but I think only $5/ride.

Heretic!

Hiking to ski ain't my thing[...]

Hiking? With 7 (seven, 七) lifts -- 3 of them even in working order -- there is no need for hiking.

Though of course a full range of hiking possibilities are also on tap, should one feel so moved.

They have something for everyone.

• 1 month later...

Dubai ! For the novelty of snowboarding in the desert and all the touristy extras eg

driving a race car. (I know you can do it here but it looks so much better there)

But as it can be a stop over on the way to Europe. Not sure where there yet but

maybe Chechoslovakia (need spell check for that one) or far north, somewhere in

Sweden/ Norway.

Maybe next year but very hard to be swayed from more Japan.

Dubai ! For the novelty of snowboarding in the desert and all the touristy extras eg

driving a race car. (I know you can do it here but it looks so much better there)

But as it can be a stop over on the way to Europe. Not sure where there yet but

maybe Chechoslovakia (need spell check for that one) or far north, somewhere in

Sweden/ Norway.

Maybe next year but very hard to be swayed from more Japan.

Think you need to read up on your history and geography.......Czechoslovakia hasn't been a country since the fall of communism....it's now 2 countries.....Czech Republic......and......Slovakia

:lol: