hahahahha! the only reason i decided against biking it was because i remembered that its going to snow on saturday so i might not be able to make it back home. Its not a hard ride. 45 kms it turns out, elevation only hits 800m and theres only two hills effectively. Uphill is no bother i could do that easy and with my snow gear on i reckons, but downhil might be a bit terrifying if its snowy/wet/icy. And since its a small hill road and not the 406 i dont really want to die for an early weekender on a pretty small and shallow course.

(itd make a cute anecdote though, and i reckon id get some love while i was riding if i have my snowboard strapped to my backpack from anyone else heading to hakuba ^ id be that dude that they drove past which would make me insta celebri... hang on, this sounds like an awesome plan!!!) :dance:

ETA: super easy bike ride. I just realised i could cut out that first hill by just cycling around to the 19 and then go from there to the 33 (and then the 36). Over the first 34km im basically climbing about 100m. The last 4kms are smooth downhill and the 6km between it i climb a meagre 300m. I reckons its about 3-4 hours on the way there and about 2.5 hours on the way back at a gentle pace with no lunacy. And if the weather is shit i could easily just take the extra 15kms and go along the 406 on the way home. Plus im pretty sure i could leave my deck with them for the next time im there (which hopefully will be the weekend after) so wont need to bring that back on sunday.

ETA2: And if i just rent boots there and wear a beanie instead of a helmet... its pretty much just a snowboard/bindings, a lightweight jacket, some thermals, a tshirt, goggles and my snowboard pants! this is a freaking plan! I can probably wear the pants to reduce weight (though it might annoy the crap out of me riding with them. Still... weather permitting, Im doing it. :D

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

rumour mill in town has Hakuba Goryu opening on Saturday subject to getting staff in place

You big wuss!

I dont expect any rental shop will be open though. depending on foot size and board options though I could lend you something if you are truely game to try this. Where are you coming from?

chikuma. It should be okay though, if the worst comes to the worst ill just see if Tr+Sa have any boots lying around (ill be bringing the board) since ill be staying at the windmill no doubt :)

But yeah, i am game for this. Since you live in the area, hows are routes 33 and 36? I havent cycled to hakuba yet. Neither seems to have a gradient over 10 degrees so even with a bit of snow i doubt theyll be too tricky to navigate.

ETA; and just in case... US 9. about 26.5 i think.

Neither seems to have a gradient over 10 degrees so even with a bit of snow i doubt theyll be too tricky to navigate.

Are you absolutely super-duper sure you aren't mixing up Nisoko with Hukuba there?

• Like 1

drove 33 to 19 yesterday for Hockey practice at night. a bit of snow from around Poka Poka land. The snow really only happened becasue the Alps were pushing the clouds up. A true sort of Big mountain storm effect really. You should have no trouble at all but plan for wet roads from Sun Sun park. Saw TO on Tuesday night and at Sounds like cafe. He and everyone else is quite busy preparing for the season id call ahead. Saki is working a job untill the season starts is what I heard. I have boots size 27.5 and board if he has nothing.

• Like 1

Awesome. ive asked them on facebook about staying there and if they have some boots lying around so should be able to figureout soon enough the plans. If you hear about that rental place right at the top across from escal is planning on a limited opening before i do, thatd be great. They were open last time it was an early start when i was there. But last time i was there was like 2 and a half seasons ago now and was probably a scheduled early opening rather than this chancer early opening we have this weekend ;)

Super stoked to be earning my turns though!

turns out the bus runs off peak season. Im pretty sure i know this because im pretty sure i asked this damn question around late april and even got the bloody times... and completely erased this all from my memory... :doh:

What to do? what to do?

I broke the like button! i reached my quota of positivity! :kiss:

You cant cage happiness, man! let it soar! :wavey:

But just in case in two weeks i decide to ask the same question: Hakubus times from nagano.

table_summer_01.gif

and on the way home:

table_summer_02.gif

Its absolutely chucking it down outside at the minute though, so hopefully somewheres getting some more unscheduled snow :)

If it looks like you'll have to pay to rent stuff, give me a shout and I'll sort a board and boots out. Your own inners would be a help though. I use mine in three different pairs of boots so they are precious!

thanks dude, but if im getting the bus, bag weight is no longer an issue. Ill just bring my gears and have at it :) My big worry is still that rain storm due to hit in the morning and afternoon. I might actually hold back on saturday and head in on sunday instead.

Dawn patrol a bit of a late start. Great little slide short bouncy turns real fun.

Shirouma with a ton of now on it.

med_gallery_10952_211_74003.jpg

Sun Rise

med_gallery_10952_211_104254.jpg

Looking at 47 lots of snow up there.

med_gallery_10952_211_89520.jpg

The turns the alarm just didnt go off or I couldve made it to the gondola such is life.

Have to live with these turns. Old school nice tight and bouncy with no bottom hits.

med_gallery_10952_211_193001.jpg

On the deck having coffee before heading to work. Saw snow others hiking up

on the way down they had a same idea. Quick ski then head to the office. Sometimes

a day is just that good.

med_gallery_10952_211_141510.jpg