• SnowJapan Admin

People are welcome to argue as much as they like - and often do! - but going over a certain line, being too personal and outright offensive is not welcome here on this particular website.

Feel free to call that 'censoring' if you like. We just think it doesn't belong on our website.

• Like 1
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me sum up this thread....  

Niseko put Japan on the map as a viable ski destination for Westerners. Many people try to be cool by staying on the fringes and avoiding anything mainstream. Niseko is now mainstream so people will b

And here ends this thread.

The fact is, snow in Japan is pretty special but those who only ever go to Niseko will never find that out.

Pal, we're not taliking about people who only go to Niseko, we're talking about people who have been to Niseko and would want to go back many many times. And what would be the reason for that?

I've never doubted your knowledge of meteorology and quite respect the fact that you have devoted your education towards it. Honestly though, I don't care about how other countries resorts stack up to Niseko (maybe you've forgotten I was born in a snow bank in snowy Canada...) and I've been pretty clear in the past that I think the only truly valid comparisons are other resorts in Japan (which includes a lot of places aside from Myoko). The fact is, snow in Japan is pretty special but those who only ever go to Niseko will never find that out.

You claim that when we say that Niseko has the most consistent powder of any resort on the planet we're just repeating some marketing hype. For me it's not hype and I'm not repeating anything that I haven't verified myself. I've studied snowfall and climate statistics from resorts all around the world. Few other resorts exceed Niseko in terms of total snowfall. That's a fact, not hype. Few others exceed the average number of snowy days each month. That's not hype, it's fact. Few other resorts have such consistent below freezing temps and very few that do get anywhere near as much snow. Fact, not hype. And extyremely few other resorts would exceed Niseko in the number of powder days each season. Again fact, not hype.

This doesn't mean that I will only ever ski at Niseko for the rest of my life. I actually intend on skiing in many places around the world over the coming years but when people ask 'why do all the sheep go to Niseko I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that it may have something to do with the fact that it has some of the most consistent powder skiing of any resort on the planet. Especially when you consider how long I lived there and my knowledge about weather and snowfall. I'm not making unsubstantiated 'hype' statements. I don't have anything to gain personally by saying them (I never did). I know other areas in Japan receive more snow and some areas at times get better quality snow and that's great. Japan is nothing if not awesome. But I hold nothing against people who choose to go to Niseko year after year. Just like I'd hold nothing against people who go to Hakuba year after year. It's really not unusual at all, for Australian's at least, to have a summer holiday destination they go to with their family or friends year after year. Many go to the coast or to inland rivers and lakes within Australia and some choose to go to their favourite ski resort in Japan. I just can't see any problem with it. They have a fantastic time and absolutely love it. That's what holidays are about isn't it? Again I ask what are they really missing out on by not going elsewhere?

I've been enjoying the homebrew so :cheers: for the conversation GN...

Pretty sure this is what I've been saying all along.

I know other areas in Japan receive more snow and some areas at times get better quality snow and that's great.

But I hold nothing against people who choose to go to Niseko year after year.

Neither do I. I've tried to make that clear. I just don't understand why they do that.

Just like I'd hold nothing against people who go to Hakuba year after year.

Same

They have a fantastic time and absolutely love it. That's what holidays are about isn't it?

pretty sure I said:

Anyway, if it ticks the boxes for you that's great. What matters most is that you enjoy where you are.

Again I ask what are they really missing out on by not going elsewhere?

One thing they won't be missing out on is awesome snow conditions. What would someone lose by trying somewhere else in Japan?

There's nothing wrong with travelling wherever the hell you want BM and that's been whole my point. I haven't been the one on here making disparaging comments about where people choose to go or not to go for their holidays ;)

Whether it's to the same place over and over or whether it's a new place every time who cares? I've only been attempting to point out that people who go to Niseko aren't just sheep, they aren't just skittish people who don't like travelling outside of their comfort zone. There's all sorts of reasons people choose to go back time and time again, not least of which is some of the most consistent powder snow found at any resort on the planet. One thing I do know for sure though, on this forum, is that people never seem to have any issue with those that only ever ski on Honshu resorts or those who only ever ski at say Furano or Teine. Those people aren't just sheep are they? They aren't missing out on anything are they? And you never see people who love skiing at Niseko ever bag out those who love skiing elsewhere in Japan do you? But if you dare to actually like Niseko watch out, as you'll likely come under fire for it! :p

Just one thing I'm still a little unclear on...

Huge amounts of some of the most consistent powder on the planet.

Can we only say that Niseko has some of the the most consistent powder snow on the planet if we've also skied at Myoko for comparison?

You claim that when we say that Niseko has the most consistent powder of any resort on the planet

There's all sorts of reasons people choose to go back time and time again, not least of which is some of the most consistent powder snow found at any resort on the planet.

One thing I do know for sure though, on this forum, is that people never seem to have any issue with those that only ever ski on Honshu resorts or those who only ever ski at say Furano or Teine. Those people aren't just sheep are they? They aren't missing out on anything are they? And you never see people who love skiing at Niseko ever bag out those who love skiing elsewhere in Japan do you? But if you dare to actually like Niseko watch out, as you'll likely come under fire for it! :p

What load of old worked up nonsense that is.

Niseko is one of the most popular places talked about by the most people.

Forget the Hakuba 'bottomless' stuff etc?

Talk about selective reading or just being particularly sensitive about the place you dig (or sell).

What strikes me in threads like this is just how oh so sensitive the poor gnarly types really are.

Aw, Mummy will make it better :console:

:lol:

That's true.

I can't say I ever really see much dissing of Niseko.

No more than there is from time to time of Hakuba or other popular places.

Pretty isolated in the big picture.

There's much more loving than there is dissing.

And what's more, from time to time 'Niseko people' have been the worse offenders when it comes to giving stick to 'other place' lovers!!

Kettle. Black.

Some people getting worked up in this thread could do to calm down and get a bit of perspective.

:thumbsup:

One thing I do know for sure though, on this forum, is that people never seem to have any issue with those that only ever ski on Honshu resorts or those who only ever ski at say Furano or Teine.

I would say the exact same thing to them. They are missing out if they don't go try out other places.

There'They aren't missing out on anything are they?

Yes, they are.

And you never see people who love skiing at Niseko ever bag out those who love skiing elsewhere in Japan do you?

Yes, you most certainly do.

But if you dare to actually like Niseko watch out, as you'll likely come under fire for it! :p

I better be careful then since I dare to actually like Niseko (and have consistently said so!)

• Like 1

One thing I do know for sure though, on this forum, is that people never seem to have any issue with those that only ever ski on Honshu resorts or those who only ever ski at say Furano or Teine.

I would say the exact same thing to them. They are missing out if they don't go try out other places.

There'They aren't missing out on anything are they?

Yes, they are.

And you never see people who love skiing at Niseko ever bag out those who love skiing elsewhere in Japan do you?

But if you dare to actually like Niseko watch out, as you'll likely come under fire for it! :p

I better be careful then since I dare to actually like Niseko (and have consistently said so!)

Very well said Black Mountain.

:thumbsup:

Some of the 'Niseko as victim' type comments made are verging on ridiculous now, and disingenuous.

Show one post I have ever made disparaging comments about people wanting to ski in another area of Japan. Just one.

Why not read what he said. He was responding to your comment, he did not say you personally.

What he said is quoted right above Wizz. Clearly says 'Yes, you most certainly do'.

Might want to brush up on your english comprehension.

Yeah and he was responding to this

"And you never see people who love skiing at Niseko ever bag out those who love skiing elsewhere in Japan do you?"

So, he wasn't meaning you and that's pretty clear and obvious. I think you are the one in need of the brush.

I'm sure BM will clear that up.

Whether it was specifically me or not. I am someone who loves Niseko and so am lumped into the same group. I challenge anyone on here to find a post by anyone who loves Niseko (besides maybe thursday :lol: ) who bags out those who love skiing in say Hakuba or elsewhere in Japan. All the Hakuba fighting on this forum has been infighting by those who love Hakuba.

People who go to just one place - whether it's Niseko, Hakuba, Furano, Mt Granview or Sayama - are, by definition, missing out on a lot.

It wouldn't be my way of doing things, but obviously some people like to base themselves in one place.

Cool!

I'm really not sure how this whole discussion got onto the idea that people who go to Niseko only go to Niseko anyway. Supposedly if we haven't skied on Honshu though then we can't claim Niseko has great snow or something like that. And those who go to Niseko are only skittish travellers who don't like going out of their comfort zones and apparently New Zealanders will find them very attractive.

People who only ski in Japan are missing out on a lot. People who only ski in Canada are missing out on a lot. People who only ski at ski resorts are missing out on a lot. People who've never skied a day in their life miss out on a lot. We all miss out on a lot in this life. It's only a matter of degrees.