• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me sum up this thread....  

Niseko put Japan on the map as a viable ski destination for Westerners. Many people try to be cool by staying on the fringes and avoiding anything mainstream. Niseko is now mainstream so people will b

And here ends this thread.

Here's a pretty cool article on the 02/03 Niseko season from Snowjapan called The Powdery Sheep. Quite appropriate I thought.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/niseko-magic-17.html

That was the first season I went to Niseko prior to moving there to live. Interesting to look back at what it was like. The Niseko Rules had only just come into effect and foreign visitors were starting to really make an impact. Foreign investors were just starting to develop western accommodation options and the All Mountain Pass was being negotiated. Anyway it's a good read.

I used to enjoy going there because it felt like leaving Japan without actually having to leave the country. Unforunately, all the charm I used to find there is gone now... it's a great introduction to Japan for skittish foreigners afraid of traveling out of their comfort zone but those who only go back there year after year are really missing out on some great resorts and ski towns.

Oh c'mon it's far more than just a great introduction BM. I know plenty of people who've been skiing all over Japan but still come back to Niseko time and time again. The consistency and quality of the snow is hard to beat and the ease of access to a huge amount of relatively safe, off-piste terrain is a massive attraction.

I'll go back time and time again because I have so many good friends there and I know the mountain so well. With now only very limited time I can spend on overseas ski holidays I'm happy to go back to a place that has one of the best chances of delivering some deep powder and I know like the back of my hand. Later when my daughter gets older I'll be able to spend more time away and explore a bit more. Might even go beyond Japan!! :omg:

• Like 1

Oh c'mon it's far more than just a great introduction BM.

Can't you just let him have his opinion, based on his own experiences?

:wakaranai:

but then what would become of the internet?

No no. Also im kind of charmed by the place. Its my favorite and heres why:

1. Gates.

2. Trees EVERYWHERE.

3. Very few ropes in resort boundaries.

4. Powder.

5. Massive area on ticket

6. NIGHTA (ridiculous nighta).

7. Moiwa (and rusutsu and if only i had a splitboard and a car, chisennupuri which i am DYING to hike and ride).

8. Super cheap accommodation.

9. Tim tams in the combini.

10. Apres drunk.

Its kind of a fun place to be honest. If i could afford it, id be there every week i could.

ETA: For thems (mes) without japanese, you also meet some pretty fun people from all over the world. Thats nice.

1. Gates.

2. Trees EVERYWHERE.

4. Powder.

7. Moiwa (and rusutsu and if only i had a splitboard and a car, chisennupuri which i am DYING to hike and ride).

10. Apres drunk.

Its kind of a fun place to be honest. If i could afford it, id be there every week i could.

ETA: For thems (mes) without japanese, you also meet some pretty fun people from all over the world. Thats nice.

completely agree ippy. When the nighta is good, skiing cant really get anymore fun.

Oh c'mon it's far more than just a great introduction BM. I know plenty of people who've been skiing all over Japan but still come back to Niseko time and time again. The consistency and quality of the snow is hard to beat and the ease of access to a huge amount of relatively safe, off-piste terrain is a massive attraction.

I'll go back time and time again because I have so many good friends there and I know the mountain so well. With now only very limited time I can spend on overseas ski holidays I'm happy to go back to a place that has one of the best chances of delivering some deep powder and I know like the back of my hand. Later when my daughter gets older I'll be able to spend more time away and explore a bit more. Might even go beyond Japan!! :omg:

The point I was trying to make is that if that is the only place you go to in Japan then you are missing out. I have a feeling that applies to you too. Don't get me wrong, I used to really like the place. In fact, I've probably boarded the Niseko United areas more times than any other single resort. I did 5 years in a row there for 3-4 weeks each time. I might even go back in the near future... but I've been to tons of other resorts and know that a lot of the things you think are unique to Niseko are not.

1. Gates.

2. Trees EVERYWHERE.

4. Powder.

10. Apres drunk.

I have to agree that the nighta is very special there. Other than 9 and 10 which can be done anywhere, there are loads of places that offer the things Ippy mentions.

In truth I actually only posted positive stuff because i hate it and want everyone to leave the resorts in nagano alone and go ride in that crap hole instead. I thought i was being so clever as well :'(

1. Gates.

2. Trees EVERYWHERE.

4. Powder.

10. Apres drunk.

completely agree ippy. When the nighta is good, skiing cant really get anymore fun.

11. Ghengis Khan

The point I was trying to make is that if that is the only place you go to in Japan then you are missing out. I have a feeling that applies to you too. Don't get me wrong, I used to really like the place. In fact, I've probably boarded the Niseko United areas more times than any other single resort. I did 5 years in a row there for 3-4 weeks each time. I might even go back in the near future... but I've been to tons of other resorts and know that a lot of the things you think are unique to Niseko are not.

And I was just pointing out that many of us go to Niseko year after year not just because it's an easy introduction to Japan or because we're skittish and afraid of travelling outside of our comfort zone or because we're 'sheep'. We go because we love it. And as far as I'm concerned there's plenty about the place to love, not the least of which are all my good friends there.

In the end who really cares why people go to Niseko or not? People go to Niseko for all sorts of reasons but the primary attraction has always been and always will be the snow (at least for me). Huge amounts of some of the most consistent powder on the planet. Very, very few resorts come close to equalling or surpassing it.

One thing is certain, Niseko is an overwhelming success story in a country where most stories in the ski industry are about closures and bankruptcy.

• Like 1