Happy 電池の日 everyone!

As the Battery Association of Japan tells us, Nov. 11 is 電池の日, which kicks off the festive 電池月間, finally culminating in バッテリーの日 on Dec. 12.

Best wishes to all as we enter this holiday season.

about.gif

campaign01.jpg

(Oh, and Happy Pocky Day too, to those who observe it.)

Going back to DumbStick's terminology question: after some contemplative reflection and googling, the consensus seems to be that in principle 電池 and バッテリー are the same, but for historical reasons バッテリー tends to be used more for rechargeable batteries, especially wet-cell ones, like car batteries.

Dry, non-rechargable batteries, like flashlight batteries, are usually 電池 or 乾電池.

As for dry, rechargeable batteries, the campaign poster shows a 充電池くん in the upper-left. On the other hand, I note that my laptop labels its dry, rechargeable battery a バッテリー. So... maybe more to do with shape in that case? I.e., if it is rechargeable and cylindrical, it is a 充電池, but if it is rectangular- or oddly-shaped, it is a バッテリー?

Ripe subject for some more reflection. Good thing we get a whole month for it.

Going back to DumbStick's terminology question: after some contemplative reflection and googling, the consensus seems to be that in principle 電池 and バッテリー are the same, but for historical reasons バッテリー tends to be used more for rechargeable batteries, especially wet-cell ones, like car batteries.

Dry, non-rechargable batteries, like flashlight batteries, are usually 電池 or 乾電池.

As for dry, rechargeable batteries, the campaign poster shows a 充電池くん in the upper-left. On the other hand, I note that my laptop labels its dry, rechargeable battery a バッテリー. So... maybe more to do with shape in that case? I.e., if it is rechargeable and cylindrical, it is a 充電池, but if it is rectangular- or oddly-shaped, it is a バッテリー?

Ripe subject for some more reflection. Good thing we get a whole month for it.

Yep correct. Cars and mobile phone batteries are バッテリー where as something you would put in your remote would be 電池 or 乾電池!

充電池くん

:lol:

Maybe not with "battery" but I often wonder why so often Japanese use katakana English words that lots of people don't even understand, rather than the perfectly meaningful existing Japanese.

Generally Katakana words are used for names, places and things of foreign origin, i.e, things that were invented in a country other than Japan and which Japan introduced afterwards.

Sometimes there is no actual Japanese word for the item and even when there is it is to distinguish the items origin, a lot of it is a cultural thing as everything must have a reason and explanation to why it exists, if that makes sense, or so I am led to believe.. Of course Japanese do enjoy mangling English up and inventing new creative katakana words that no one understands, this I have been told is because it sounds cool to them.

Well yes I understand the 'things of foreign origin' thing but many times and increasingly it seems, katakana is used when that is not the case and where there is perfectly good Japanese.

And many Japanese have no idea what it means when other Japanese say it.

Kind of bizarre situation if you ask me.