This doesn't really belong in the ipad thread so perhaps a mac thread is called for.

So I have my macbook pro - just love it - and I'll likely be getting one of the new iMacs when they come out.

My macook is not my "main" computer, more of a learning/play thing at the moment still, but I hope to make the complete switch soon and use the Macs all the time.

But I do have some software on my pc that I still would like to use.

"Parallels" seems to be the solution - install that, install windows and any windows software. Anyone here use that? In practice is it a totally usable solution to the problem?

Would be good if it was.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use something called VirtualBox for Microsoft office primarily, as sometimes documents created on a Windows Office don't work with OS/X Office and vice versa.

Bloody annoying.

OK downloaded and bought Parallels 8.

Installed Windows 8. Decided I didn't like it. Got rid and installed my Windows 7. Seemed to activate no probs. Installed my Office 11. That activated no probs either.

Liking it!

:thumbsup:

I suppose he means the way you can have Parallels for the Mac that lets you have Windows on your Mac. Nothing the other way round is there?

You can build a computer that is a close to 100% compatible with Mac OS. They're called Hackintoshes. Lots of Windows motherboards and video cards aren't compatible with Mac OS, so its probably best to copy something other folks have got working stably. The hardware of a Hackintosh will run Windows, I would have thought. All you have to do is set up a dual boot.

Mainly its people doing video editing and hardcore image editing that build and use them. The "pro" macs are out of date and super expensive, and no doubt there'll be plenty of people doing video editing who aren't on loads of money.

• 2 weeks later...

21 inch new Macs which were announced to be available "in November", will be released on 30th November. :lol:

And probably about 10, at 11:59pm appletime, so they can say they kept their promise.

Can see how Apple's way of doing thing frustrates.

Going to be able to order the 27 inch as well on Friday, which I plan to do, but that is supposed to be available in 'December', so I'm not expecting it before January.