After literally weeks of careful planning, and contemplating it's difficult-ness, muikabochess and myself decided to hike Mt Granview today.

As well as wanting to see all the new developments at Mt Granview, it was just one of those things that you just need to do. So today was the day.

Clothes and equipment (tent, pick-axes, thermals, food and drink supplies etc) at the ready, we got up early and started our ascent. At about 10am. It was going to be tight getting there and back in the day but we started at a brisk pace.

Going back slightly though, the first problem was the sign at the base.... basically saying not to go up there.

gallery_6744_178_65244.jpg

Secrets, you see. Definitely things they don't want you to see. And I'll try to keep their secrets with these pics. Happily, a local gave us permission so we made our way up.

So we got to the base of the ski-jo itself and it was looking as magnificent as ever.

gallery_6744_178_446656.jpg

Not many people so it must just have been the workers day off. But as you can see machines everywhere and signs of activity.

gallery_6744_178_59957.jpg

Of course, Mt Granview gets some of the earliest, and probably the best powder snow in Japan - so they need to be ready.

Onwards and upwards, and looking back towards base

gallery_6744_178_183827.jpg

The lifts looking very... green!

gallery_6744_178_7205.jpg

This is the very top lift and it looks like it is need of some work.... perhaps when they finish installing all the new stuff (gondola, etc).

(It wasn't like this last season, so I hope they can get it fixed up in time)

gallery_6744_178_418881.jpg

gallery_6744_178_127678.jpg

Nothing a bit of adjusting and a lick of paint can't fix. And some trimmers

gallery_6744_178_300711.jpg

Facilities at the top. Again, in need of a lick of paint

gallery_6744_178_141805.jpg

Now this is actually walking up above the current top lift.

There is a single lift here, but they haven't been using it the last few years.

gallery_6744_178_3854.jpg

gallery_6744_178_142844.jpg

It's one of their '7 lifts'. ;)

gallery_6744_178_66611.jpg

A glimpse of the new modern telecommunications systems that they are installing.....

gallery_6744_178_147964.jpg

Kireteiru Cheese @ Mt Granview

gallery_6744_178_239564.jpg

Looks like they have developed an outdoor swimming pool as well! Probably one of the new selling points in the coming winter season.

gallery_6744_178_297679.jpg

Lodge, er, Echi!

gallery_6744_178_192179.jpg

All in all, a magnificent hike.

We were able to get down by 11:30, so for such a challenging peak an impressive time I would say.

Highly recommended.

Obviously.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After literally weeks of careful planning, and contemplating it's difficult-ness, muikabochess and myself decided to hike Mt Granview today.   As well as wanting to see all the new developments at M

How many of the lodges looked to be occupied, by the way?

Hmm difficult one that. In the below photo there's I think 3 places starting with the white one in the middle and the ones to the right of it. They actually look fairly decent and as if they are open.

Dotted around the mountain though and to the side (going off to the left of the photo below) there are probably 20-30 or so buildings and while some seemed to have cars parked outside and perhaps people live there (?), others were in a terrible state and frankly a safety hazard. As shown in the photos previously. Of course they will either be re-developing those and just haven't got round to it, surely.

We wanted to ask someone about the skijo but there was just no-one around! :doh:

gallery_6744_178_183827.jpg

I noticed this one as well muikabochi

gallery_6744_178_219292.jpg

Presumably taken at Mt Granview. I can see the obvious resemblances and connections that Mt Granview has with Grindelwald.

a0135439_93543100.jpg

I noticed this one as well muikabochi

gallery_6744_178_219292.jpg

Presumably taken at Mt Granview. I can see the obvious resemblances and connections that Mt Granview has with Grindelwald.

a0135439_93543100.jpg

Thats a spectacular photo!!! I'd love to have 1 of those lodges at Mt Granview....I'd deffo be living the dream then

I've never been to Grindelwald but the snow is definitely much better at Mt Granview, as well as the onsen, swimming....

And scenery, and everything else actually.

The perfect All Year Resort, basically.