Koyou (autumn colours) targets

I really want to see some raburii autumn colors this year.

Unfortunately, work is getting way too much in the way.

But, I'd really like to get to:

Nikko

and

Zao

Anyone been to either in autumn and recommend da besto time.

I'm thinking Nikko in late October and Zao possibly next week.

Do?

Have been to Nikko in autumn, very beautiful, but such a long time ago not sure exactly which week, maybe worth to look on the Nikko website which should have the best dates to visit there.

Never been to Nikko in Autumn, though did go to Mt. Jeans at the end of October last year, and it was pretty much too late for foliage. At best it was at the extreme tail end of the season, with one or two trees here and there still showing some color.

Nikko is a little bit lower in elevation (600-800 m, as opposed to 1000-1400 m), and a little further south, though don't know how much difference that might make.

I was in Nikko the second last (or last?) weekend in October several years ago and it was too late for good autumn colors. Half of the leaves were already on the ground even... I'm sure it would change a bit from year to year though.

I think it will be, just the timing thing.

I want to go there on a day when the sun is out, blue skies, some nice fluffy white clouds here and there, the sun in the right position and autumn colours. Oh, and not many people either.

Not too much to ask is it!

:)

Would love to get to Nikko at perfect autumn timing.

When I went the weather wasn't that great actually, I can imagine it's just amazing when the weather cooperates.

It pissed it down the two times I went. It's got a bit of a reputation for it.

On a fine day in autumn, I'd imagine Toshugu will be mobbed.

Sadly you're not going to get the koyo at their peak at both the city level and then up at Chuzenjiko. Wouldn't that be good!

For the temple area I think probably very early November is the peak.